Sponsored

Need new tires (again)

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Well my Patagonia's have held up like complete garbage. I have decent sized chunks missing out of tread on all 4 tires which isnt a big deal, but I now also have a chunk bigger then I am comfortable with missing from the side of one of them as well. So with about 9500 miles on my JT I am looking for my 4th set of tires.

1st - Started with factory wheels/tires of course.
2nd - Went with 35" ko2's on some 0 offset wheels next, but decided I needed bigger
3rd - 37x12.50 Patagonia's on AEV Borah JL wheels in true beadlock that I haven't been happy with on road.

Now since I have to replace them again I want to go a little taller, but not too much. I do off-road often, and currently have beadlocks, but am looking to go more road worthy for the next setup. So I want something that rides better on road & am going to mount them traditional instead of beadlock on my AEV Borah's since I never really air down below about 12 anyway it should be fine.

So far I am at about 42 cents of tires spent per mile driven in my JT so I am really wanting something to last & dont necessarily want to spend a fortune.

Offroad has been dry rock's & very little mud so a hybrid tire could work as well as a milder MT.

On my short list here is what I am considering.

Nitto Ridge Grappler in 38x12.50r17 - 82 lbs - $2204 for 4 - These seem like the best bet in everything but cost.
Yokohama Geolander M/T G003 in 40x13.50r17 - 87 lbs - $1584 for 4 - This cost & size seem excellent, but I am a bit worried about them rubbing with the +25mm offset wheels I have.
BFG KM3 in 39x13.50r17 - 87 lbs - $1836 for 4 - Given the rep BFG has for running small I believe that they would measure out pretty close to the ridge grapplers above, but with a little more traction.
BFG KO2 in 39x13.50r17 - 70 lbs - $1824 for 4 - Same as the KM3's except a little less traction.

For reference
Milestar Patagonia in 37x12.50r17 - 72 lbs - 81 when including the ring that I will be dropping so the most I would be increasing with the heaviest above is about 6lbs per wheel, but could loose as much as 11 with the KO2's.

Has anyone seen a side by size with the BFG 39's & the Nitto 38's? I haven't been able to find one and if they are as close as a suspect then it would narrow my choices considerably.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
That’s a bummer, how many miles on them?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Wow, no warranty on them?

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, no warranty on them?
Mounted them myself before having them balanced by a local guy that isnt a milestar auth dealer so from what I can see on the Milestar website there is no warranty (this is part of why I am looking at going back to traditional mounting instead of beadlocks).

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
That’s not good I have about 8,000 or so on mine and there holding up great. Had them on my JL before as well and no issues.

I would email them just to see what they say

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not good I have about 8,000 or so on mine and there holding up great. Had them on my JL before as well and no issues.

I would email them just to see what they say
I will email them & see what they say, but that isnt going to change me getting new tires at this point. These have not been impressive at all.

Jeep Gladiator Need new tires (again) IMG_1744

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
The Nitto Ridge Grappler's are amazing tires in everything but mud, they just get caked in mud... But if you rarely see mud, then they'll probably be great tires for you. I had 37" ridge grapplers on my Jk for over 50k miles and numerous offroad trips, they still had decent tread left.

I'm on the east coast and there's always a high chance of mud so this time I bought a set of 37" Cooper STT Pros.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Well by the pic of your tire it looks like you are giving them a workout.
I don’t see the gouging of the sidewall as deficiency just a result of some jagged wheeling. Not sure what would withstand hard sidewall scuffing.

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well by the pic of your tire it looks like you are giving them a workout.
I don’t see the gouging of the sidewall as deficiency just a result of some jagged wheeling. Not sure what would withstand hard sidewall scuffing.
Oh they have had plenty of a workout, but that happened on a mild trail run with no crawling.

Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
That is a bummer :/ I’ve been trying the Milestars out also due to their lighter weight.

They’ve held up decently so far, but they definitely don’t have the mud clearing prowess of the Maxxis RAZRs before them. I’m considering getting a set of beadlocks when I burn these, and just switching between offroad and street tires for the best of both worlds.

I’m not sure there is a perfect tire… Everyone’s situation is different, but it’s worth a thought.

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
1) I have 10k on my Patagonia's wheeled "lightly" and they do not look like that
2) With SEMA coming up, I wonder if there will be any new tire releases.
3) Ridge grapplers sucked on at 30/40 degrees on my JKU in the rain/snow at freeway speeds. Whereas the Patogonias and Coopers were surefooted here in the PNW.

Where are you finding availability on tires?

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1) I have 10k on my Patagonia's wheeled "lightly" and they do not look like that
2) With SEMA coming up, I wonder if there will be any new tire releases.
3) Ridge grapplers sucked on at 30/40 degrees on my JKU in the rain/snow at freeway speeds. Whereas the Patogonias and Coopers were surefooted here in the PNW.

Where are you finding availability on tires?
Looks like were both in Idaho too, which part of the state are you in. That gash happened at Robie Creek a couple weeks ago just simply driving out to a group where a stock rig could of gone. Nothing crazy at all. The other damage to the tread I can completely pass off as spinning tires too much on the rocks south of Melba, but these are definitely not holding up to even the reasonably low price I paid (245 per tire at the time from Northridge).

Interesting that you talk about the ridge grapplers in cold temps. I will have to take that into account. Honestly with the wheels I have I may have to go with a -offset wheel for any of the other options. Which is something I am tempted to do anyway with the Icon Rebound Pro's now being out.

And all the tires I listed showed that they were avail within a week or so at discounttire.
Sponsored