Sponsored

Need some advice on lift kits. Mopar or Clayton?

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
I've got a '21 Sport and am looking at the Mopar 2" or Clayton 3.5" Overland Plus. What I'm looking to do is 80% daily driver, 20% fire roads/overlanding, no rock crawling. Will be putting on 37's and regearing. Not worried about rubbing at full flex with the Mopar since I won't be at full flex very often at all.

I'm not sure if I should just bight the bullet and go with a full, proper kit like Clayton or if the cheaper Mopar will work for my goals. Any advice? Recommendations or experience with either?
Sponsored

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
Go Clayton. You can even do their entry level system with just the front UCA as that’s the best way to fix caster instead of a LCA. It will still flex. If you do go over 28” in shock length, you will need a new front driveshaft.
the mopar kit is about A 3.5”lift measured from eyelet to eyelet, and will cause the front end to shift. Over an inch+ to one side. You’ll need a front track bar to center if your picky.

Last edited:

GladiatorCruzen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Elevator Superintendent
I will be using my JT in a similar way and I decided on the 2.5 Clayton Ride Right+ and added the bump stops and Fox 2.0’s to the order. The lift kit arrived and is scheduled to be installed later this month.

OP
OP
bgoman

bgoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
Clayton period
Go Clayton. You can even do their entry level system with just the front UCA as that’s the best way to fix caster instead of a LCA. It will still flex. If you do go over 28” in shock length, you will need a new front driveshaft.
the mopar kit is about A 3.5”lift measured from eyelet to eyelet, and will cause the front end to shift. Over an inch+ to one side. You’ll need a front track bar to center if your picky.
Thank you for the advice! I actually ordered the 3.5" Overland Plus w/ Fox shocks from Clayton on Black Friday weekend - they had a pretty good deal on it. Also figured the front drive shaft would need replacing anyway at some point. Est. Shipping is Jan 15.

I will be using my JT in a similar way and I decided on the 2.5 Clayton Ride Right+ and added the bump stops and Fox 2.0’s to the order. The lift kit arrived and is scheduled to be installed later this month.
Congrats. Let me know how you like it!

Sponsored

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you for the advice! I actually ordered the 3.5" Overland Plus w/ Fox shocks from Clayton on Black Friday weekend - they had a pretty good deal on it. Also figured the front drive shaft would need replacing anyway at some point. Est. Shipping is Jan 15.

Congrats. Let me know how you like it!
Congrats!! I’m waiting for my 3.5 Overland Plus too! I can’t wait!!

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
How is changing the upper control arms better than changing the lower control arms to correct caster? I have not heard this before. Wouldn't the upper control arms need to be shorter to correct caster where the lowers are longer to make the correction?

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
Both will do the job. It’s the best “cost effective” way....I didn’t add that on my post...thanks for the correction
your correct. Uppers - short, lowers - extend.

Alteredspeed

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Supervisor
I know I’ll catch some crap, but I’m staying with Mopar for mine, keeps the factory warranty.

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
@Clayton Off Road

I’ve ordered Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x12.5x17 tires. Was thinking of going 13.5 instead. The wheels are 17x9 4.50 backspace and -12mm offset.

Will I have rubbing issues with the 13.5 on the 3.5 Overland Plus kit?

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Clayton Off Road

I’ve ordered Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37x12.5x17 tires. Was thinking of going 13.5 instead. The wheels are 17x9 4.50 backspace and -12mm offset.

Will I have rubbing issues with the 13.5 on the 3.5 Overland Plus kit?
As long as you're within that 4.5" backspacing range you'll be fine!

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Despite dealer's insistence in going Mopar to maintain warranties, I went with Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus. So glad I did.

Suspension felt a little stiff at first until I put some weight on the truck (cap, bumper, winch) and now it rides like a dream.

So far, the dealer has also honored all maintenance requests (e.g., steering TSB) without asking questions about the lift.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
looking at the same lift, can you post a pic? I am thinking about only using a 35 inch tire but wondering if it would look goofy with this kit? I guessing you have 37s but it gives me an idea.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have a ride right 3.5 on order for my JTR and only doing 35’s. Hoping it won’t look bad. @Clayton Off Road, does this kit come with bump stops? The bill of materials on the website look like it lists the overland parts on the ride right link.
Sponsored