Sponsored

Need your feedback, Manual or Auto, Rubicon or Mojave.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
only thing that got me thinking is the list of improvements of the Mojave over the rubicon.
Be careful calling them "improvements over the Rubicon".
Each is purpose built.
Rubicon owners will argue theirs is best for their purpose with the front locker and sway bar disconnect and suspension build for max flexing over rocks, and slow crawling in really rough terrain.

You have to consider the "features" each has - and which will be to your benefit and which won't.
For most, frankly, the frame of the Mojave won't mean squat.......... each has pros to them.
It depends on how YOU will use it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
the auto stick mode in the AT satisfies my need to manually shift when I want
Sure was nice in the mountains, steep grades.......

Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Why is the hood superior? Adds a lot of weight, taking away from payload.
Not saying that it is superior from performance perspective. Merely that it is something unique that most people, including myself, like. For everyone who prefers the Rubicon hood, that is great too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, kind of partial to that Rubicon hood - especially in purple -

Jeep Gladiator Need your feedback, Manual or Auto, Rubicon or Mojave. 1709827432495

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I am about to buy a Gladiator Rubicon 2022 with a manual transmission which I have reserved.
The reason I am going manual is that I am old school and like and enjoy more driving manual than auto, anyways, there are two things i am debating with, right now.
1- I know there is a recall for the clutch on this truck and looks like still after all this time, there is no fix or expected date. Does anyone here know something about this?
2- I just found that the Mojave trim has a better frame (reinforced), suspension, and so. Now I am debating between these two, Rubicon and Mojave, (i dont have plans of doing rock crawling and so.) but I am not able to find a manual transmission Mojave close by, so I am starting to think I should get the AUTO in the Mojave, please share your thoughts.

thanks a lot.
If you are going to do lots of Off-Road rock crawling, mountain climbing, etc..., like we have in California and Utah, get the Rubicon. The front locking Diffs and sway bar disconnect are indispensible and pretty much required to keep the speeds slow - ie. avoiding having to "send it". Also, the 4 to 1 transfer case is great for crawling over boulders - lots of control. I built up a manual transmission Rubicon and I love it. 65K miles and no problem with the stock clutch. Lots Badge of Honor trails. Check the build link in my signature for more info. Here is a pic of us coming to the end of Holcomb Creek trail

Jeep Gladiator Need your feedback, Manual or Auto, Rubicon or Mojave. I8IQhf

Last edited:

jthetexan

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport
Get a Mojave. Don't know what your plans for the modifications are, but Mojaves are so attractive in stock form that you can just enjoy it for a year or two the way it was from the factory before beginning the lift, wheels and tires. Just my opinion.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
BUT - how is Mojave in mud or SNOW?

wish you guys would quit talking these things up. My dealer said "if you need time to gather finances and strip yours down, I'll hold this one for you as long as it's before the end of the month"
Stop!
Luckily, my wife HATES the orange accents around the emblems and the "JEEP" on the tail gate. I showed her and she said "I don't like that at all". So can't get anything with orange emblems.
Hey now, the wife unit doesn't get a say in your vehicle. She's got a perfectly good purple Jeep she can dote on. ;)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey now, the wife unit doesn't get a say in your vehicle. She's got a perfectly good purple Jeep she can dote on. ;)
It was sort of funny - I told her that I wanted to get her thoughts on some things - colors, interiors and so on and her comment was "why? I don't drive it, you do" and what was funny about it was that she'd just spent all morning driving my JT because I had hers in the shop getting worked on for park sense silliness and the defrost recall bit. Hmmmm, how many times have I had to go out and move that seat for you? And the trip to and from FL and CO - she drove at least 2/3 of the way each trip as she prefers being a driver vs. passenger. So how many times did I have to adjust and move seat positions and so on? You don't drive it? Really?
I don't know - she's pretty cold on the idea anyway and I think that was her way of saying as much. "I don't drive it" after just having it over half the day?
The sales guy and sales manager were both out there at one point when we were talking about stuff and they both asked her how she liked her Jeep "I love my purple Jeep!"

I just like to know what's going on, sometimes just future references and so on. If nothing changes until way out there in time, I know how she feels about certain colors and features and all - and it would be pretty simple.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
But neither has BRASS KNUCKLES!

1709695016130.png
CMM can help with that...maybe? Or maybe they just have those for the JK, I can't remember.

Hey, my Overland is stock.........
Except:
synergy front springs, Eibach rear shocks, air bags in rear springs, clear front side markers, 12v outlets in rear bed, winch, steel bumper, Oracle backup lights, Suma side mirrors, front receiver................ but really, it's stock. Sits almost exactly as high as a Mojave but doesn't have orange hooks.
Papa...I see you flirting with a Mojave...what did you like about it? If you didn't have a beautiful Overland I'd say go for it, but given you do, and is already tastefully modded, including springs you seem to like, wouldn't a set of Fox 2.5s and Hydro Bumps about do it for you? You've already got a rear LSD, aside from the seats whatcha missin?

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
BUT - how is Mojave in mud or SNOW?

wish you guys would quit talking these things up. My dealer said "if you need time to gather finances and strip yours down, I'll hold this one for you as long as it's before the end of the month"
Stop!
Luckily, my wife HATES the orange accents around the emblems and the "JEEP" on the tail gate. I showed her and she said "I don't like that at all". So can't get anything with orange emblems.
Yeah, that's the deal I got going from my JTR-MT to a 24 JTR-AT.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Mojave FTW

I planned on ordering mine with a 6MT, but went with an AT because the wife can't/won't drive a 6MT. In hindsight, glad I got the AT with the commutes that I have to make into DC/NOVA........can relax a bit more

JKenTex

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.0 Excursion
Occupation
Retired
Automatic Mojave, and get the one with automatic 4WD if you're subjected to any winter weather driving.

In addition to the beefed up frame you get:
Steel hood with faux scoop
Reinforced frame
Bolstered seats
Fox 2.5" internal bypass remote reservoir shocks
Wide Dana 44 axles
Cast iron knuckles
2.72:1 low range (up to 50 mph in 4 low)
4.10 gearing
1" taller than Rubicon in stock configuration
Hydraulic jounce bumpers
Strengthened front upper control arms
Strengthened lower control arm mounts
Strenghtened cross members
Reinforced shock towers
Rear track bar has a larger outer diameter, larger bushings, and a higher strength tube
Wheels 7.5 mm shallower backspacing than Rubicon
"Racing grips" steering wheel
Rear locker can run in 4 high in off-road plus mode
Orange things
:LOL: It's the orange things that got me!!
Sponsored