Sponsored

New guy here - doing research on Gladiators which will be my first Jeep.

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
So let me start off by saying this place is a great resource. I currently drive a 2018 Ford Edge sport, that I will be in turn giving my wife and we will be trading in her 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. (We wont be upside down on the trade). We got hers about 1.5 years ago. She prefers my car over hers, and well I had an F150 for 8 years and miss having some sort of truck. I do know the Gladiator is nothing like an F150.

The gladiator will give me some utility but then also have an aspect of fun to it.

I pretty much want everything in a Rubicon, I could deal without the steel bumper and maybe the dual top. I am finding a lot around me dont offer the dual top option . That being said, I take it, it's fairly easy to just buy an OEM one after the fact? I would definitely be switching to a soft top during summer months. Maybe the dealer will throw one in? Not sure of the likely hood of that.

I almost would prefer non matching fenders and the black hard top for some contrast. But its a good look either way.

I thought maybe the trail cam could help with parking (objects in front) but have read some say its not as easy as simply tapping a button to swap to front camera..you have to navigate the 4x4 page, etc..

There is a pretty loaded Red one near me for what appears 5k below MSRP this pricing would put it around 4% below invoice. ($54,546 on dealer's site - I am going to reach out to them tomorrow)

https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6JJTBGXLL142993

What are some things you would tell a new owner, now that you have had yours for a while?

Anything I should look out for on these, etc?
I would order to get it the way you want it. I have a launch edition and love it! Get the steel bumper it is a great addition and has save me from a big repair when some one backed into me hard. Scratched my bumper destroyed the back of their 4 runner. I posted pics on another thread. I would also highly recommend the best top addition to replace your freedom panels. Well with the money
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Agree on the hardtop with the Bestop Sunrider option; that's the way I will be going. The soft top makes sense if you live somewhere sunny and you want to put it up and down often. The JT soft top doesn't open all the way anyways, so flipping back the Sunrider top would be how I would run 90% of the time in good weather. The other 10% of the time would be completely topless.

I have a JK with dual tops and most of the time I just flip back the front section back and roll up the rear window when running the soft top. If I didn't have the soft top already, I'd consider the JK-version of the Sunrider, but the wind buffeting in the 2-door sucks with just the Freedom tops off unless the back window is flipped open. In the 4-door JK/Jl you can lower the rear door windows which helps. You can do that in the JT and/or open the rear sliding window, so it shouldn't be an issue.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
… Hate that the inverter requires the ignition to be on, major major PITA when camping. Means I have to either go and turn the ACC on every 20 minutes or leave the truck idling. Sucks, should have the option to turn on and leave on. I don't use it for much, just charging electronics and running a few led lights in my tent, but I'm going to have to either re-wire it to do that or carry my separate inverter (which I was hoping to avoid).
The USB in the console on mine is hot even when the engine is off.

But I need the conventional power jack behind the console to do the same to charge other items when camping while sleeping or otherwise not running my vehicle. My local Jeep service guy, after much prodding, emailed me today, stating that: “the technician that would be best suited to do this … said without having done one and looking at it, [would] estimate the cost would 360.00. That’s running a direct line to the battery for the port you want hot.”

Seems steep. So, I might ask an unaffiliated mechanic if he can do it for less.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

But I need the conventional power jack behind the console to do the same to charge other items when camping while sleeping or otherwise not running my vehicle. My local Jeep service guy, after much prodding, emailed me today, stating that: “the technician that would be best suited to do this … said without having done one and looking at it, [would] estimate the cost would 360.00. That’s running a direct line to the battery for the port you want hot.”

im thinking of doing the same. Let me know how it goes and if you’re near Smith Mt. Lake, who you used...

htremper

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (with toddler booster seat!)
Occupation
Rockstar
I would be very surprised, shocked really, if a dealer had a dual top sitting on the lot. It is an expensive upgrade and doubtful they would have a lot of luck selling it. I got the dual top because I didn't want to wait any longer to order my color and it was the only way to get the hard top at that time. It is much better to order it that option as the premium soft top is listed as around $1900 from Mopar. When I did the math it added about $1200 or so to my cost at order. I am not really sure when or if an aftermarket top will be coming. There really hasn't been any hint of one that I have heard.
I got the trail cam. I like it. As mentioned above you can move a button to the quick launch bar or it is in the "controls" section. So at most 2 clicks to get to it. I have used it in garages to park.
There are so many aftermarket bumpers to choose from I didn't feel any reason to get the factory steel bumper. I agree it does look nice but at what? $600 for the option plus 2 to 3 hundred for a winch plate it is pretty expensive. But again, some people think it looks better than any of the aftermarket ones so whatever makes you happy on that one.
If you are not in a hurry to get it, I suggest ordering. It seems that FCA are doing better with getting the orders out now. I got mine in exactly 5 1/2 weeks from order date which seems to be pretty common. Yes, there are some folks on here waiting much longer than that but it doesn't seem to be the norm. That way you can get it exactly how you want it. And you can usually shop around and get a good deal as many dealers will discount an order more than something on their lot.

Good luck, I am sure you will love it when you get it.
Everything this guys is saying is spot on.

Esp ordering, I waited 5 weeks...well really almost a year from when I first saw the JT's...and of course...I HAD to get orange so had to wait all summer...BUT it is WELL WORTH the wait to get exactly what you want and not pay for things you dont. Its also kinda fun watching it go through the build process.

Good Luck

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer

Yeah, it should actually be really easy on mine as I have the aux switches so could use one of those. Just have to find the correct wire that powers the inverter.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
you can move the trail camera button to a fast select bar, you can do this with any of the functions in the menus.
On my JTR, it's in the "controls" link which is next to the "apps" button on the home screen. The rear camera is there, too. It's literally two button pushes away. If you're in reverse and the rear camera is on, the trail cam is on the top left of the screen and you can toggle between the front (trail) and rear cameras as you wish.

SmoothRegulator

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JT Overland Ecodiesel (EU spec)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiator with Premium soft top and bed tonneau cover (fabrics match perfectly). I've only had it a week and a half, so give me a little time to get some top off pics. ;-)
Gladiator, Nov 19, 5_3596, In Front of Boundary Restaurant.jpg
Hi Mark,
Your gladiator looks exactly how I plan to order mine, once it is available in Germany, which is going to be a painful long wait..

Would you mind posting some more pictures of this beauty of yours?
This first one has already found its place as my new desktop wallpaper.
Loving those Analog HDs, what tires are on those? And does it have a lift?

Thanks kindly in advance!

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hi Mark,
Your gladiator looks exactly how I plan to order mine, once it is available in Germany, which is going to be a painful long wait..

Would you mind posting some more pictures of this beauty of yours?
This first one has already found its place as my new desktop wallpaper.
Loving those Analog HDs, what tires are on those? And does it have a lift?

Thanks kindly in advance!
I'll share more pics once I get some. Have a January overlanding trip in the works. Not sure there will be anything like that until then. The Rubi is already slightly taller than the other models. And I fit 35s without any additional lift. I will assess after installing the front bumper (factory steel take-off I've found after not finding anything aftermarket that I liked) and a winch if I lost any height that needs to be adjusted. The tires are BF Goodrich KO IIs--same as I have on my Wrangler, except fitted to 17" wheels (the Wrangler currently has 16" wheels that are all beat up from my adventures and I hate to give them up to install a big brake kit someday, but probably will). The wheels are Fifteen52 Analog--an alloy retro lookalike for steel wheels. FYI, if they interest you, Fifteeen52 is having a Black Friday sale, so you might wish to sign up for their e-mail list to stay informed.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Where are the electrical shop manuals for the JT? Should be able to figure how to make items hot all the time if you can review the wiring schematics. My Honda CRV had a relay that I was able to bypass to make the 12V outlet hot with the ignition off.

Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'

HI, it's really easy to do. To run a hot wire into the passanger side, use this tool to go through the gasket through the firewall, it where all the other wires are running. It won't take long. I ran my CB antenna wire other power leads this way. Yea, $360 is trying to steal from you IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WZCL8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Where are the electrical shop manuals for the JT? Should be able to figure how to make items hot all the time if you can review the wiring schematics. My Honda CRV had a relay that I was able to bypass to make the 12V outlet hot with the ignition off.
Yeah, my dad has a PhD in Electrical Engineering. However, he didn't pass on that gene to me. I'm good with other types of DIY stuff, but I don't mess with electrical stuff, especially on my primary vehicle. So, I will check out a local shop I trust to see what they would charge me.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
This Jeep, JT, is the most fun to drive of any vehicle I have ever been in. Almost the most fun I've had with my clothes on. I do like going fast and fast cars, but, crawling over just about anything that I can't chainsaw out of the way has its rewards too.

gladzilla7

First Name
YK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real estate agent
So let me start off by saying this place is a great resource. I currently drive a 2018 Ford Edge sport, that I will be in turn giving my wife and we will be trading in her 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. (We wont be upside down on the trade). We got hers about 1.5 years ago. She prefers my car over hers, and well I had an F150 for 8 years and miss having some sort of truck. I do know the Gladiator is nothing like an F150.

The gladiator will give me some utility but then also have an aspect of fun to it.

I pretty much want everything in a Rubicon, I could deal without the steel bumper and maybe the dual top. I am finding a lot around me dont offer the dual top option . That being said, I take it, it's fairly easy to just buy an OEM one after the fact? I would definitely be switching to a soft top during summer months. Maybe the dealer will throw one in? Not sure of the likely hood of that.

I almost would prefer non matching fenders and the black hard top for some contrast. But its a good look either way.

I thought maybe the trail cam could help with parking (objects in front) but have read some say its not as easy as simply tapping a button to swap to front camera..you have to navigate the 4x4 page, etc..

There is a pretty loaded Red one near me for what appears 5k below MSRP this pricing would put it around 4% below invoice. ($54,546 on dealer's site - I am going to reach out to them tomorrow)

https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6JJTBGXLL142993

What are some things you would tell a new owner, now that you have had yours for a while?

Anything I should look out for on these, etc?
I was originally considering Rubicon, after driving back to back i liked Mojave better. Prices were very similar too. I was set on the ecodiesel but just couldnt get myself to like the engine and that added to the floating ride of rubicon and i backed out and got the Mojave.
Trail cam is very useful, especially if you take it to offroad. But even during my daily life, great feature while parking etc. You can move it to your first page like bein said by other members, no issue.
Sponsored