terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll call when I get home and schedule my free first oil change and see what they say, then try closer ones and see what they say too
Sponsored

mtgustin

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Past: 76' CJ-7, 2013 GC Altitude 5.7, 87 Wrangler
Occupation
Horribly underpaid government worker
I just left my dealer, called on Friday, mentioned the TSB and my wandering issue.I made an appointment for today. I dropped it off at 9:30 AM. They said they needed it for a couple of hours. At 1:00, I called them, they said the service manager, and tech were determining if I needed a new gear box. I had a contractor scheduled to be at my house at 3:00. I said screw it, and had my wife bring me to the dealership anyways even though they hadn't called. I get there, and of course they weren't done. I went to the customer lounge, and 20-30 minutes later service manager came over and said, you need the new gear box. This was a Clearwater Florida Jeep dealer, he said the part is sitting in warehouse in Orlando, we can have it here tomorrow, I can you get you an Enterprise rental on us. we will replace the gear box , do the software update, and you can pick it up tomorrow. I had been worried, lifted, 2 inch Mopar (by them), but 35's and Nexus steering stabilizer, and leveling kit. They never mentioned any of it. I had been to a different dealer , closer to my house, and they were total A-holes, said everything was caused by by after market mods, even though a Jeep dealer had done the lift.
I will remember to go to Clearwater when I get mine....waiting for the 2021.....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine scheduled for next Tuesday with parts ordered. I’m not too mechanical, can someone explain to me how replacing the steering gear will do anything? I’m really hoping it will help. I love my gladiator but I sometimes get pissed while driving it due to the wandering.
Hmmm - the steering sector, often called "steering gear" (because it has a worm gear inside)
That's what handles the steering and if there's too much PLAY, if the thing is loose, then the truck can wander and you have to move the steering wheel farther to correct it and get it going straight again.

The problem with the steering issues is that some wander, some have LOOSE STEERING - and those can be very different things. It can want to wander but not be loose. IF it's loose it's more likely to wander.
It gets rather technical - but if your steering wheel has to be moved more than a couple of degrees, say an inch or more before the truck responds, you have a steering sector issue, faulty or loose parts, etc. Those front wheels should respond as soon as you move the steering wheel any.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Can someone explain to me how replacing the steering gear will do anything? I’m really hoping it will help. I love my gladiator but I sometimes get pissed while driving it due to the wandering.
I have heard (3rd party) that 20 out of 20 of our steering boxes direct from Mopar are in fact bad. There is major valving and adjustment issues with these boxes. The factory adjustment was not correct and the ball sizing in the worm gear needs to be upsized to get the proper fitment for NO freeplay or deadzone.
This explains the binding some have when its cold and super sloppy when its warm. Also explains why out of the 3 boxes Ive had installed under warranty, they are all bad.
We all know that many of them are just fine, but IMO, just give it time before those guys are on here reading this thread.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmmm - the steering sector, often called "steering gear" (because it has a worm gear inside)
That's what handles the steering and if there's too much PLAY, if the thing is loose, then the truck can wander and you have to move the steering wheel farther to correct it and get it going straight again.

The problem with the steering issues is that some wander, some have LOOSE STEERING - and those can be very different things. It can want to wander but not be loose. IF it's loose it's more likely to wander.
It gets rather technical - but if your steering wheel has to be moved more than a couple of degrees, say an inch or more before the truck responds, you have a steering sector issue, faulty or loose parts, etc. Those front wheels should respond as soon as you move the steering wheel any.
Thanks. Good description

Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Another wasted service appointment. Took the t.s.b. in and said, "these are our symptoms." They said there's nothing wrong at the end of the day.

Perhaps there is a lesson we must learn.

My first Jeep experience was in 1964 driving an old army jeep during a summer job

@JeepCares--note sent.

Last edited:

SWATDEN

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to get a Gladiator
Occupation
Professional Whisk(e)y drinker
TSB part came in today, but scheduled for install next monday. Service advisor said im first guy at the dealership to do the install (probably first in Hawaii). Also they’ll be replacing my front left LED blinker (which went out at only 280 miles :() Will let u all know how it goes.

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
Well I'm happy to report a very good experience at Westgate Jeep in Raleigh this morning. (where I purchased my Gladiator)

As the lady was checking me in, the service advisor overheard me describing the loose steering issue (I was showing her a video I had record to demonstrate the issue). He immediately said they are aware of the issue and the TSB. Said honestly I don't even need to take your Jeep into the shop, there's nothing we can do for it today. He said they'll get the parts ordered but they probably won't come in until mid-Sept. Told him I was getting ready to install a lift and tires and wanted to make sure there was no confusion about the source of the steering issues. He said no worries, I can clearly see your Jeep is stock today, we'll get the parts ordered. I was in/out in under 10 mins. So thus far I couldn't be happier. Fingers crossed they actually order the parts and there aren't problems in Sept, but let's not borrow tomorrow's problems. Celebrate the win today.
I’m happy to report that I’m in NC as well and the dealership I’m using for service and mods has the new parts on order. Said it would be 2-3 weeks and they will get this fixed for me. It’s a relief and very validating!

govz

First Name
Govinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm based in Newfoundland, Canada. I messaged my dealer and showed the TSB and they mentioned that it's a US-only TSB and it's not issued for Canada yet so they can't work on this.
Any Candian owners who got an update about this TSB from the dealers?

Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

Just left my dealer for a fresh oil’s change and tire rotation. They knew nothing about the TSB and stated nothing came up when they entered my VIN#. My truck doesn’t seem to have issues so I’m riding it out for a bit. Headed to TN in a few weeks so we will see if anything shows up after the trip. Should be a 1500 mile week.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
If I'm denied because my dealer doesn't think I need it, I think I'm just going to pay for the install and parts.....sad

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm based in Newfoundland, Canada. I messaged my dealer and showed the TSB and they mentioned that it's a US-only TSB and it's not issued for Canada yet so they can't work on this.
Any Candian owners who got an update about this TSB from the dealers?
I hope that's not the case. Surely the issue is the same here in Canada as it is in the U.S. After all Wranglers are built in a factory in Brampton Ontario and shipped to the U.S. The T.S.B. would apply to those Wranglers in the US...so the TSB should apply and work for us in Canada too.

govz

First Name
Govinda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I hope that's not the case. Surely the issue is the same here in Canada as it is in the U.S. After all Wranglers are built in a factory in Brampton Ontario and shipped to the U.S. The T.S.B. would apply to those Wranglers in the US...so the TSB should apply and work for us in Canada too.
Did you contact your dealership? I just want someone from Canada to confirm that the dealer acknowledged the TSB so I can point this out to the dealer.
I contacted and they mentioned it's a US TSB and not Canadian and I do face the steering wandering issue..

R JEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I just got back from my local dealer here in N.W. Ohio
The service advisor looked up my VIN # and showed me the TSB from 8/10. ( which I had previously printed out the TSB and had in my back pocket...just in case I needed it) He said he could order the parts and schedule me in in 2 to 3 weeks
No hassle so far :)
I will update when the actual service is completed.
Sponsored