Sponsored

New Legit Medical Reason - Quieting the JT or JL Cabin

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Many are suggesting sound deadening material. If this stuff is applied to the doors and the roof for optimal soundproofing, is it possible to do it in a way that still allows for the doors and roof to be removed? I know there is a mopar kit, but it seems like a very minimalist approach. Clearly one isn't entombing oneself in the vehicle with soundproofing as you still need to get in and out.
Sponsored

ilmostro

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Willys '23 JL 392
If the situation persists, I don't think sound deadening will reduce the dB level enough to make it tolerable for you.

Weird idea, look at David Clark headsets. Full duplex and made for high noise environments while allowing easy conversation. Used in aircraft, fire trucks, offshore, etc. They are wireless now too so that keeps the cable mess to a minimum.

If it is just you, grab a high end pair of noise cancelling headphones. You're not going to be able to eliminate the noise, so just counteract it.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Your quickest relief, as already mentioned, is noise cancelling headphones or ear buds.

Then yes, a trip to your local car audio shop and explain your situation and that you need as much noise as possible cancelled in the cab. It won't be cheap as they'll have to strip her down to bare skin and then reassemble everything.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I’m not 100% sure but a lot of the sound comes through the glass. I know the lux vehicles have glass that transmits less noise. In the construction industry we call that STC ratings. Not sure what to say about our windshields though. Vertical surfaces are noisy.

OP
OP
Papa Jawa

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
Same here brother, VA gave me a set of hearing aids that are phenomenal, lost most of my low end hearing in a Navy dive accident and for 34 years they told me hearing aids would do nothing for me until last year they gave me a set of Phonak hearing aids and tuned them for my hearing loss and BAM!, I can not only hear but I can tell what direction a noise is coming from. Anyway, don't sacrifice the Mojave just yet!
Looking forward to getting something new for hearing aids the old ones arent the right ones right now.

Sponsored

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
You don’t know my wife. She’s the kindest, smartest, most loving person I know. She freakin hot as Hell, keeps our family on track and we are all the better for it. Oh yeah, her JL is a Recon, she is not afraid to get dirty, and she is a better technical driver than me. But thanks for sharing.
I am sure he was just trying to be funny. Sorry you lost your hearing.

You could try:
1. sound deadening material
2. coverking on the roof

but all that time and material might be pointless.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Many are suggesting sound deadening material. If this stuff is applied to the doors and the roof for optimal soundproofing, is it possible to do it in a way that still allows for the doors and roof to be removed? I know there is a mopar kit, but it seems like a very minimalist approach. Clearly one isn't entombing oneself in the vehicle with soundproofing as you still need to get in and out.
You have to strip the cab back as far as possible then apply under everything that goes on top like seats and carpet etc. For the doors you have to remove the door cards and glass and then line the interior. For real serious work you have to snip the door interior framework and then tape it all up and then reattach with new spot welds etc. The hurricane film does a similar job and goes on like window tint, doing it with the glass out makes it even easier to apply.

The major issue is to make cars lighter for better fuel economy you need to shed weight from the body through thin sheet metal, thin glass, less dense seating foams, lighter carpet... it all adds up to weight savings at the cost of more transmitted heat and noise. This process of adding deadening films adds mass back to the structures and helps dampen flutter and vibration. We are in effect transforming spatial motion to heat energy when you get to the bottom of it.

In our case here the end result would be nearly invisible when it's all put back together but the truck will pick up some weight. The doors will feel more solid and the the truck as a whole may not feel so bouncy.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I'd say it's possible to reduce noise with Sound Assassin type materials in door/tub and get some headliners. The most noise - imo - comes from the top edge of the windshield where it meets the freedom panels - that hard angle. I don't know of anyway to stop that.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Seems there are a number of things can be done but will they get it to the quiet you need without breaking the bank verses perhaps getting a different vehicle that is super quiet already

OP
OP
Papa Jawa

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am sure he was just trying to be funny. Sorry you lost your hearing.

You could try:
1. sound deadening material
2. coverking on the roof

but all that time and material might be pointless.
I know. They were trying to be funny. But I don’t let disparaging words towards spouses go by if I’m in the conversation. Even in jest, it erodes marriages. This isn’t a religious opinion it’s a “people should respect marriage” thing.

Thanks, I’m gonna price out the recommendations later.

Sponsored

SFLJEEPER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ, 2015 JK, 2015 JKU, 2021 JT
But I don’t let disparaging words towards spouses go by if I’m in the conversation. Even in jest, it erodes marriages. This isn’t a religious opinion it’s a “people should respect marriage” thing.
Well said! You sound like a stand up dude.

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
as a few have mentioned, there are sound assassin strips that can come with/go under hot head headliners that help reduce interior noise. The Mopar liners are kind of just stuck on up there and are more flimsy by comparison.

You mentioned maybe getting a Ram instead, I've had many, including a 2020 Ram Limited 4x4. On the new Rams there's this weird/irritating wind noise thing that happens at certain speeds and wind conditions. Sounds like farting in the cab! lol

Google Ram windshield noise/look it up on Ram forums before you spend the money and do that possible switch. It's really irritating.

Lastly, as also mentioned, other brands, such as a new/newer Mercedes SUV, have much quieter designed interiors. I have one of them as well. I was thinking only an hour ago while driving it for a few hours from the desert to 6k feet altitude about how quiet and solid that cab is.

Hope this and other responses to your post help.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I’m not 100% sure but a lot of the sound comes through the glass. I know the lux vehicles have glass that transmits less noise. In the construction industry we call that STC ratings. Not sure what to say about our windshields though. Vertical surfaces are noisy.
Some sound goes through the glass but most is through the sheet metal skin. Luxury cars have lots of extra padding to deaden both the sound transmission through the sheet metal and to absorb reflected sounds inside the cabin.

I've experienced a few vehicles before and after a major application of Dynamat products and it was noticeably quieter. I had a 1996 Hummer, which is a LOUD vehicle and when having other work done I covered about half the insides with Dynamat and it was noticeably quieter, especially around the engine hatch between the front seats. The sound deadening sheets are not that heavy and I can see adding maybe 20 to 30lbs on the vehicle if you cover all surfaces inside the cabin.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
You don’t know my wife. She’s the kindest, smartest, most loving person I know. She freakin hot as Hell, keeps our family on track and we are all the better for it. Oh yeah, her JL is a Recon, she is not afraid to get dirty, and she is a better technical driver than me. But thanks for sharing.
I feel the same about my wife. Dont know where id be or who id be without her. She's about the only person I can stand being around anymore.

I wonder if spray on sound deadening of some kind is an option. Add it to the floors and top. Its worth a try to not loose the toy.

OP
OP
Papa Jawa

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel the same about my wife. Dont know where id be or who id be without her. She's about the only person I can stand being around anymore.

I wonder if spray on sound deadening of some kind is an option. Add it to the floors and top. Its worth a try to not loose the toy.
I'm happy for you bro. I lived too much life without the right one by my side. Life is good.

I am putting spray on sound deadening on my list of research. Thank you.
Sponsored