BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Roads don't change THAT much or that fast. I'll wait a few years.
Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I carry bread crumbs and tea leaves to read. Awesome sauce.
I was doing the same, until the price of bread and tea jumped. Now I have to wait for a clear night time sky, and use the stars for navigation.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
My Jeep has the 7" I use my phone and a old Garman, the Garman has free updates.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep has the 7" I use my phone and a old Garman, the Garman has free updates.
If the updates are "free" then you paid for them as part of the purchase price, or did what I did a decade ago - paid 50 bucks for lifetime updates.

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was doing the same, until the price of bread and tea jumped. Now I have to wait for a clear night time sky, and use the stars for navigation.
I heard writing on cave walls with berries is very effective. History does repeat itself so you’ll find me in My rubicon frozen in permafrost with a still viable can of Dinty Moore between my legs.

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
I'd say my experience with the nav is best summed up this way: "why the heck does my 2 month old Jeep keep directing me to go over a bridge that's been closed for almost 2 years!?!"

(to be fair to the nav, the closed bridge is technically still there -- just tormenting us daily commuters who can't use it :angry:)

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I haven't seen the offer.

In my driving, there's only been one place where the map went blank. And that was a place in Nevada where you're not supposed to take pictures.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen the offer.

In my driving, there's only been one place where the map went blank. And that was a place in Nevada where you're not supposed to take pictures.
I wondered what happened to my friend who went out west to do some photography. Haven't heard from him in a couple of years. Last I heard he was just driving into the Groom Lake area.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
I had the opposite happen, last year I was in Hilton Head, in a rental, took my freshly updated Garmin Nuvi with me. It tried to get me to turn down a road they were still building.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had the opposite happen, last year I was in Hilton Head, in a rental, took my freshly updated Garmin Nuvi with me. It tried to get me to turn down a road they were still building.
I've had weird stuff with any sort of GPS - even Google maps.
With my Garmin, when looking for a friend's house near Fort Wayne, on a highway that's been there since Hector was a pup, it told me to turn west - no luck, so I doubled back to the east and 2 miles from the intersection where it said turn west, there was his place. He said all GPS he knew of got it wrong.
Then 3 times with Google maps -
Twice Google sent me to industrial areas where streets didn't go clear through and Google told me the address was on a set of rail tracks - there were at least 4 sets of tracks going through there, no streets, all industrial.
It did it again - sent me down a highway and told me to continue - had I done so, I'd be in the Missouri River.
Then finally, Google Maps sent me to St. Louis via - get this - Peoria, IL. Coming from Des Moines that made zero sense and had I done it, that path would have been 1.5 hours longer. Instead I used my Garmin and went diagonally down from home to St. L. and cut a ton of miles and time off. Coming back, Google wanted me to take some paths clean into IL.

So I have had really bad experiences with Google in the past, one bad time with Garmin, and my JT NAV is just plain goofy at times although it's never gotten me lost, it just goes from Des Moines to St. Paul by way of Omaha. Well, not that bad, but still - go to the end of the block, make a u-turn? Really? How about simply TURN LEFT, eh?

This is another reason I'm not ready for self-driving cars where you plug in an address and it takes you there.........naw, I keep maps in the glove box for emergencies. At least in the U.S. they are mostly accurate.

STLDAVE

First Name
DAve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner, Shopping for JT
Occupation
Retired
If you are that far out in the boonies then it's probable that the roads haven't changed for a long time and these map updates wouldn't matter.
But gas stations, food businesses, and road closures do change in "the boonies".

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
maps -
Twice Google sent me to industrial areas where streets didn't go clear through and Google told me the address was on a set of rail tracks - there were at least 4 sets of tracks going through there, no streets, all industrial.
It did it again - sent me down a highway and told me to continue -
Did you edit the location on Google maps and give the route a poor rating?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you edit the location on Google maps and give the route a poor rating?
No. I just said "I'll not be doing that again" and for a long time any time I looked any place up on Google, I checked with other services to compare. There's been several times Google was off one way or another.
I'd expect with their buy-outs and take-overs by now it should be better.