Sponsored

New Shocks Voids Warranty?

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I ordered some new Falcon shocks which are due to arrive next week. Out of curiosity, I called my dealer (been going to them for years) for installation pricing etc. The service guy now tells me that installation will void my warranty. When I pushed him on it, he said it'll void the "suspension part" of the warranty. It's funny in that 3 weeks ago I had an oil change done and talked to one of the tech's about it, and he never mentioned any warranty impacts for installation. Sound-off forum members. Is this legit or is the guy blowing smoke?
Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah they really can't void it,they might just void the warranty as far as the shocks go but why would you need that ? That's a wearable part...

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Unfortunately with this kind of thing, it’s not what you know. It’s what you can prove in court and how much legal risk your willing to shoulder, warranty or not.

If you install a part, and something happens that someone says is directly the fault of that part, then your going to be liable for it unless you can prove otherwise. Proving otherwise generally results in a legal case depending on how much $$$ is involved.

So warranty or not, I always tell people to mod any vehicle with caution.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I think if you break a shock mount you have bigger problems

and yeah, void the warranty on the shocks only

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
If, for some strange reason, you broke a shock mount I guarantee they would try to blame it on aftermarket shocks. I can also see a dealer trying to blame driveability issues like pull, vibration, wander or wobble on aftermarket shocks.
True I mean they honestly can take away your warranty for just about anything,I've been "oh so threatened" that I was gonna have my warranty voided cause I had aftermarket diff covers,steel bumper, hood scoops,and the wheels cause of the offset and all this other stupid stuff,I just left and went to another dealer and they didn't say anything when I had my water pump replaced under warranty

OP
OP
Rainman519

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
thanks for the responses. I called them back cause it just didn't sound right and got another tech who told me that IF Jeep could ever prove that any suspension parts (ball joints, bushings, etc) failed due to the shock installation, that it wouldn't be covered under warranty since Falcon isn't a "Mopar approved" part. I got it, but I'm having them installed anyway :)

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
It's amazing how different the experience is going from dealership to dealership and one service tech to another. I mentioned this type of stuff to the guy I take my truck to and he said, "some people are A-holes". Maybe this is how they are told to behave most places and the previous post about, if the part causing damage, are understandable but my local dealership seems more laid back.

Wbrook24

First Name
West
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator rubicon
thanks for the responses. I called them back cause it just didn't sound right and got another tech who told me that IF Jeep could ever prove that any suspension parts (ball joints, bushings, etc) failed due to the shock installation, that it wouldn't be covered under warranty since Falcon isn't a "Mopar approved" part. I got it, but I'm having them installed anyway :)
Ya this is a much more appropriate response then the ambiguous "It voids your warranty".

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Just say, "Thank you. I'd like that in writing, please". This will be followed by much himming, hawing and back-pedaling.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
... because they are in bed with Fox ... and don't most dealerships have accessory departments that also provide installations?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just so weird so many shops are like that. The dealer shop I go to just doesn't seem to worry about such things.
Today I had them do a couple of things not technically warranty............ they did it for free and said "it's warranty".
Really? Ok.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Keep in mind, the dealerships are the ones' that inform and report to FCA on these situations. In your situation, have them installed elsewhere, your driveway, and don't volunteer any information about it to any dealership when having work performed. There are statements in the owners manual about modifications and should a modification cause a failure then that failure would not be covered by the FCA warranty.
Sponsored