First Name
Erric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Occupation
Well fed
Newbie here and first post, dumb/question. Hi all. After much thinking about wants and needs, I always come back to the Gladiator. I tried to search but can't find info about adding regearing with LSD.
How possible is it to re-gear a Willy for larger (33 or 35") tires, keep the LSD, and maybe upgrade to lockers without spending a ton and not lowering the original towing capacity?
I'm also new to off-roading, but if I really like trails (expecting I will), I'll want to upgrade the Gladiator later.
Thanks!

EDIT: I meant regearing with LSD first then replace with lockers later..
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
You can't keep your existing LSD and upgrade to a locker. The locker replaces the LSD.

There are a few selectable lockers that are LSD when unlocked, but none that work in the Dana Advantek axles the Gladiator uses.

OP
OP

enewmen

First Name
Erric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Occupation
Well fed
You can't keep your existing LSD and upgrade to a locker. The locker replaces the LSD.

There are a few selectable lockers that are LSD when unlocked, but none that work in the Dana Advantek axles the Gladiator uses.
Thanks for thee reply. So it seems then I can have the regear and keep the LSD, then replace the LSD to lockers later.

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just for a point of reference, I went from the stock size Willys tires to the 285/70/17 tire size found on the Rubicon models and the real diameter size difference was 0.6". After adjusting the tire size with Jscan. there really was no appreciable difference in how my Willys ran with the 3.73 gearing.

If you go to some 35" tires, then yeah, a re-gear will be needed.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Thanks for thee reply. So it seems then I can have the regear and keep the LSD, then replace the LSD to lockers later.
You can do that, but you'll paying for a gear setup twice.

Your LSD and whatever aftermarket locker you would install are slightly different when it comes to gear tolerances.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
As mentioned, basically twice the labor for re-gearing in the end. They will have to remove your gears for the locker and do all the setup again. In the end you are better off setting up the locker now if you know you will want it.

OP
OP

enewmen

First Name
Erric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Occupation
Well fed
You can do that, but you'll paying for a gear setup twice.

Your LSD and whatever aftermarket locker you would install are slightly different when it comes to gear tolerances.
Thanks. It seems then I'll need to really KNOW if I need the new regear with LSD or lockers .

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Another option to consider is looking for whole axles front and rear 4.10 Rubicon take offs. Roughly can find those sets in the $4K-$5K range. There is harness adapter that can be bought to utilize the electric lockers on the Rubicon axles.

OP
OP

enewmen

First Name
Erric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Occupation
Well fed
Lots of options. Thanks! I've had small, efficient, boring cars my whole life. Happy to finally start getting a Jeep!
@Hootbro, it looks like you traded a Rubicon for a Willys. Interesting.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Thanks. It seems then I'll need to really KNOW if I need the new regear with LSD or lockers .
You won't 100% need to regear for 35s on 3.73. It depends where you drive and if you tow. I live in a very flat area and don't tow and 35 with 3.73 is a non issue.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Another option to consider is looking for whole axles front and rear 4.10 Rubicon take offs. Roughly can find those sets in the $4K-$5K range. There is harness adapter that can be bought to utilize the electric lockers on the Rubicon axles.
The failure rate of the Rubicon locker is not insignificant, I would be very wary of installing used axles with no warranty especially when that Eaton locker isn't easy to come by, if at all possible.

OP
OP

enewmen

First Name
Erric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Occupation
Well fed
You won't 100% need to regear for 35s on 3.73. It depends where you drive and if you tow. I live in a very flat area and don't tow and 35 with 3.73 is a non issue.
I do plan to tow, near the limit sometimes and in mountain areas. But good idea to get the tires first, then really know if regearing is needed.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I do plan to tow, near the limit sometimes and in mountain areas. But good idea to get the tires first, then really know if regearing is needed.
Based on towing, at limit, and in the mountains it is absolutely needed. When I go to Tahoe it really isn't happy up I80 with no towing. You should go deep into a re-gear.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Mine does not do well with 35s and 3.73. Flat lands and no towing.

It rarely sees 7th and only sees 8th downhill or with a strong tailwind.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Mine does not do well with 35s and 3.73. Flat lands and no towing.

It rarely sees 7th and only sees 8th downhill or with a strong tailwind.
I have no drivability issues. I will regear at some point, but closer to tire replacement time when I go larger.

But for OP with hills and towing at load I would for certain change the gears.
Sponsored