Sponsored

flashing rear locker light after re-gear

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
Wondering if anyone has had the unfortunate experience of the dreaded rear flashing locker light?

Re-geared my personal Gladiator yesterday and all went as expected. Lowered off the lift and at start-up the rear locker light immediately started flashing. Verified that the rear isn't actually locked just the computer thinks it is. I've checked everything I can think of and nothing seems out of the norm.

I searched some and this seems to have been a common problem when the JLs came out in 2018 and then the fix was an entire new rear housing???. Here at my shop we re-gear 1-2 Jeeps a week and have done many JKs and JLs without issue. This is the first we've seen of this.

I'm awaiting a call from a service tech from a local dealership to get his input. Any ideas / suggestions for me at this point? If you are wondering about why I don't just take it to the dealership for warranty it's because of the re-gear as well as if a new rear housing is the fix JL guys from a year ago were giving stories of their Jeeps being kept at the dealer for weeks on end awaiting replacement parts. I need the truck for my business. I can technically drive it around with the rear locker wiring un-hooked since it isn't truly locked and it shouldn't be an issue but I obviously want to fix it.
Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Wondering if anyone has had the unfortunate experience of the dreaded rear flashing locker light?

Re-geared my personal Gladiator yesterday and all went as expected. Lowered off the lift and at start-up the rear locker light immediately started flashing. Verified that the rear isn't actually locked just the computer thinks it is. I've checked everything I can think of and nothing seems out of the norm.

I searched some and this seems to have been a common problem when the JLs came out in 2018 and then the fix was an entire new rear housing???. Here at my shop we re-gear 1-2 Jeeps a week and have done many JKs and JLs without issue. This is the first we've seen of this.

I'm awaiting a call from a service tech from a local dealership to get his input. Any ideas / suggestions for me at this point? If you are wondering about why I don't just take it to the dealership for warranty it's because of the re-gear as well as if a new rear housing is the fix JL guys from a year ago were giving stories of their Jeeps being kept at the dealer for weeks on end awaiting replacement parts. I need the truck for my business. I can technically drive it around with the rear locker wiring un-hooked since it isn't truly locked and it shouldn't be an issue but I obviously want to fix it.
Did you ever figure this out? Sane thing just happened with mine.

OP
OP

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's currently at the dealership as we speak. Things aren't going well at all due to me re-gearing it.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Mine turned out to be metal shaving caught in the magnet, blocking the sensor from closing.

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.doetschoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon,. 2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Sorry, the post I made inside the other thread is easily missed and this is too important to a lot of you... so here it is.

DOETSCH OFFROAD

There are multiple failures that need addressed:

-Solenoid sensor fills with oil (causes ground faults)
-harness end gets oil in it (causes ground faults)
-internal wiring not fully/properly sheathed and will rub itself raw against the coupler inside the diff (causing ground faults)
-pins pulling loose from harness from overstretching it or poor initial production.

above issues cause the following:

-blinking locker lights
-service locker system message on DIC
-incorrect reading of locker status
-failure of one or both lockers

These issues are more prevalent on vehicles that have been modified/geared. However it can and has happened on low mile stock rigs as well.

Last night I was able to test the Z Locker Harness from ZAutomotive on my Gladiator and 3 other problematic JLs, all of which had varying causes, and different levels of the errors. All have been diagnosed at Jeep service as a vague "ground fault at diff"

My JT had fully failed. I endured all levels of the issue starting with the blinking lights, eventually followed by the svc locker error and finally full locker failure.

All 4 Jeeps immediately responded to the new harness. All lights went off. All lockers worked properly. All locker engaged/disengaged sensors worked properly. Full success.

"-super simple install - mimics the sensor circuit, tells the DTCM that the lockers are locked when they should be, and unlocked when they should be - no risk of damaging the DTCM. Same signaling, same electrically as the sensor it replaces. - system becomes more like the JK as the locker solenoid is on its own, feedback from the sensor is not mimicked but the DTCM can still sense a short or open to the solenoid circuit - same watertight connectors used as OEM. Fully potted and watertight. "

4 Jeeps is a small test sample, but 100% worked. I have scheduled in another 5 locals to perform the fix and will report my findings.

***( 9 tested and fixed now! )

Again, the link to the fix is here... ZAutomotive ZLOCKER

ok...and discuss!!

Sponsored

Krobarr

First Name
stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Mobile Crane Operator
It's currently at the dealership as we speak. Things aren't going well at all due to me re-gearing it.
Adam, was it metal fillings on the magnetic locker sensor in yours? I tried my lockers and they seemed to work at around the 400 mile mark of breaking in my 5.13’s, then changed fluid at 550 miles and had lockers malfunction around the 900 mile mark yesterday. I’m hoping I just need to open it up and clean off the shavings from that sensor magnet!

OP
OP

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adam, was it metal fillings on the magnetic locker sensor in yours? I tried my lockers and they seemed to work at around the 400 mile mark of breaking in my 5.13’s, then changed fluid at 550 miles and had lockers malfunction around the 900 mile mark yesterday. I’m hoping I just need to open it up and clean off the shavings from that sensor magnet!
They ended up denying a warranty claim due to the re-gear. Seems like it was a sensor failure. Bought new unit and all was fine afterwards. I have since sold the Gladiator due to needing to go back to a full size truck.

glad76

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
sales
Sorry, the post I made inside the other thread is easily missed and this is too important to a lot of you... so here it is.

DOETSCH OFFROAD

There are multiple failures that need addressed:

-Solenoid sensor fills with oil (causes ground faults)
-harness end gets oil in it (causes ground faults)
-internal wiring not fully/properly sheathed and will rub itself raw against the coupler inside the diff (causing ground faults)
-pins pulling loose from harness from overstretching it or poor initial production.

above issues cause the following:

-blinking locker lights
-service locker system message on DIC
-incorrect reading of locker status
-failure of one or both lockers

These issues are more prevalent on vehicles that have been modified/geared. However it can and has happened on low mile stock rigs as well.

Last night I was able to test the Z Locker Harness from ZAutomotive on my Gladiator and 3 other problematic JLs, all of which had varying causes, and different levels of the errors. All have been diagnosed at Jeep service as a vague "ground fault at diff"

My JT had fully failed. I endured all levels of the issue starting with the blinking lights, eventually followed by the svc locker error and finally full locker failure.

All 4 Jeeps immediately responded to the new harness. All lights went off. All lockers worked properly. All locker engaged/disengaged sensors worked properly. Full success.

"-super simple install - mimics the sensor circuit, tells the DTCM that the lockers are locked when they should be, and unlocked when they should be - no risk of damaging the DTCM. Same signaling, same electrically as the sensor it replaces. - system becomes more like the JK as the locker solenoid is on its own, feedback from the sensor is not mimicked but the DTCM can still sense a short or open to the solenoid circuit - same watertight connectors used as OEM. Fully potted and watertight. "

4 Jeeps is a small test sample, but 100% worked. I have scheduled in another 5 locals to perform the fix and will report my findings.

***( 9 tested and fixed now! )

Again, the link to the fix is here... ZAutomotive ZLOCKER

ok...and discuss!!
Hello, new to the forums..
Sorry this sounds so dumb, because it kind of is. Looking for some wiring help. Did an axle swap for curries. Used Tazer mini and the Z automotive Locker Cables. Front end is perfect. Rear end, getting all kinds of lights and codes and nothing works. Essentially, the codes and errors are like the locker and abs sensors aren't even plugged in. I'm thinking the harness got "pulled" hard enough to damage / disconnect it OR it got pinched bad enough to damage.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? How to test continuity for those systems from up front to at least test the theory?

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I remember on my JK when I replaced my front carrier, I accidentally snapped the plunger sensor for the locker. Whoops. It always flashed when I engaged it, but didn't flash passively.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor

Sponsored

Haroldgladi

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Teacher
I had the same problem with mine after pulling my rv. I do have 5.13s so warranty was out of the picture. Here's how I fixed it.

TheGinger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
Wrench Monkey
They ended up denying a warranty claim due to the re-gear. Seems like it was a sensor failure. Bought new unit and all was fine afterwards. I have since sold the Gladiator due to needing to go back to a full size truck.
So did you just replace the sensor or the entire axle assembly? if just the sensor where did you find it to buy, our dealer up here can't find it.