Sponsored

Newbie Here - About to Pull The Trigger on a Mojave and Getting a Shiver

markross

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon!
Hi everyone:

what an awesome resource this is. Thank you all so much for sharing your wisdom in here!

I have been wanting a Jeep for about 30 years now and am finally going to go for a Mojave. My FIL has an 08 Wrangler so I'm pretty familiar with the Jeep feel, finish, etc.

I had a shiver because I have mostly driven Hondas and Toyota's my adult life... and I'm used to their utter reliability. Plus I've known a couple people who had really problematic Wranglers.

Is this typical cold feet stuff? I'm planning to drive this Gladiator for a loooooong time... as in like past when we all have self-driving cars and it's illegal to drive your own car and I'm gonna hide this one in the mountains.

Do you guys feel the Gladiator and the new Jeeps are reliable?

Thanks for your comments!
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im only 26k into mine but no real major issues. Keep in mind its a first model year and folks typically come to the web with problems/concerns/curiosity. So if you’re reading a lot of threads about problems its not necessarily representative of all the owners having those same problems. I suspect the JT will last a looooo0oooo00oooong time. I got an extended warranty for out to 120k miles..that sure makes me more comfortable

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
I recently watched this the other day.

It’s a guy who drove from Alaska to South Americaby purchasing a $5000 used Jeep. Then he bought a used Rubicon and drive $18,000 all over Africa. His premise was he picked a vehicle which wouldn’t break down in the jungles of the Congo. Check his story out.

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
Great choice on the Mojave! It seems to be the wisest choice for the sheer length of this vehicle and overall off-road capability. I would have chosen a Rubicon with JL, or JLU, but the Mojave seems to be just right with how long these things are.

My previous Jeeps never saw the dealership once. Never needed them.

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Not JT specific, but I currently have 60,000 miles on my 2016 Jeep Cherokee. I had to replace the battery once (thanks a LOT, 'start-stop' feature), but zero other issues. I plan on buying a JT and keeping it forever. But I don't care as much about hyper-reliability or I'd buy a civic or something. I care about enjoyment in life. Life is too short to drive something boring. I want to live more by taking the doors and top off on those beautiful days. I want to do some overlanding to see places I otherwise wouldn't see. I want to modify it to make it unique to me. I want to connect with the weather and my environment rather than cocooning myself away from it.

Yes, maybe I will have to fix things more than if I endured life in an insulated box that is more "reliable". Embracing a Gladiator or Wrangler means embracing life more fully. There are costs to that - costs I am willing to pay.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
To the OP regarding reliability, I just bought my 2020 JTR and only have 1200 miles on it; so I can't really speak to its long term reliability. BUT, I also own a 2016 JKUR with 37,000 miles and my wife owns a 2018 JKUR with 15,000 and they have been very reliable (and the JKUR's are trail runners and rock crawlers not pavement princesses). Sure I/we have broken several things as we have been out playing on the trails but I have only had one real issue with either of the JKUR's and that was a computer problem within the first few thousand miles that was covered by the basic warranty. So...50,000 combined miles on newer Jeeps (since FCA took the helm) and minimal issues.

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I"ve had a ton of Jeeps from CJs up to current JT. I've wheeled them all over and above what they were maybe designed for. I've never had a single one of my jeeps break down, or be a repair that I couldn't handle myself. In the past, and even till now, they're are a TON of resources to utilize should something be outside of your mechanical comfort zone. They best way I describe a Wrangler or JT to someone is, they are like adult legos. Reliable, built like bricks, and you can literally build them how you want. FYI, my JKU was wheeled like crazy on 35s and had over 125000 miles on it when I traded it in. My TJs all had over 145K when they were sold.

EDIT: I've also owned Toyotas(FJ, Highlander, and Double Cab Tundra 4x4, and Crewmax Tundra 4x4). Great vehicles, but I think that Jeeps are just as reliable when maintained.