No Caps/Toppers/Shells at Sema?

GreenZJ

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR....Jeep #10
Softopper is being released on November 12th.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
The LEER rep at the show in one interview I saw, said, the Gladiator was expected to be a low volume sale, but sales has exceeded their expectations, and they are developing a camper shell. That said, the bed is only 5-feet long, so not too many options there... I like some of the overland pop up tent builds, they take up a small amount of space and weight, and make into a useable sleeping space.
Cheers
This is the closest you’ll come to hearing a company admit they screwed up.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Unless I'm missing it, not a single physical prototype or design is being shown at Sema for the Gladiator. Are the main players (Leer, ARE, etc.) even at the show? It would be great to hear directly from them, if possible. @JAY
look at the TrailRecon video I just pasted. There are a lot of different options shown..

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
look at the TrailRecon video I just pasted. There are a lot of different options shown..
Nice video, but the AT setup is the only thing close to a cap. and that's $9 grand in Habitat or Summit format. I'm really expecting to see a proper fiberglass cap, probably mimicking the JL hard top.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Interesting . . . can't make out the manufacturer . Looks too "hardcore" for my taste - want something I can Leave on that looks more like a "traditional" CAP but with the tent too - that for me is still the LEENTU UTE . . . but until I'm ready to pull the trigger, I keep on researching . Never know what lies around the corner . . . ?

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Interesting . . . can't make out the manufacturer . Looks too "hardcore" for my taste - want something I can Leave on that looks more like a "traditional" CAP but with the tent too - that for me is still the LEENTU UTE . . . but until I'm ready to pull the trigger, I keep on researching . Never know what lies around the corner . . . ?
I'm ready to get my jt next year. Thinking about fabricating my own front and rear bumper bed rack and side steps, I'll build them how I want them. Should be fun

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I'd like to see a shot of the camper opened up. It looks like the hardtop might be an A frame rather than a V.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RLD DESIGN STAINLESS STEEL TRUCK CAP (JEEP GLADIATOR, 2020+

Only one I have seen. Strait from South Africa. $ 3100.00. Estimated delivery mid November.

IMG_2246.jpg
If this is another one of those Heavy, $$$$ "Swiss Army Knife" Rigs . . . meh ! It screams this is my "SAFE" come break in if you can," to ME . . . just me, just an opinion . I prefer to KISS it as much as possible while still having some basic creature comforts - such as a roof top sleeping area I don't have to Crunch my 6ft frame into ! So for me, so far, I'm (again) leaning heavily in the LEENTU UTE direction (JT) or IF Ursa Minor EVER gets off it's ASS and actually Presents us with the new JLU popup . . . . . . well . . . ? . . . we're STILL waiting nearly 2 years since YOUR 1st announcement of . Pretty much given up on that and hoping "others" take up the JLU Cause !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm ready to get my jt next year. Thinking about fabricating my own front and rear bumper bed rack and side steps, I'll build them how I want them. Should be fun
Good on ya . . . I don't have the skills the place or the money to take on that endeavor . Me too as far as buy timeline IF, all goes well (health wise).

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Nice video, but the AT setup is the only thing close to a cap. and that's $9 grand in Habitat or Summit format. I'm really expecting to see a proper fiberglass cap, probably mimicking the JL hard top.
A fiberglass cap will probably not allow you to install a RTT on it, particularly if you take it off-road.
If all you want to do is to keep your groceries dry then that's fine but that's not what you'll find at SEMA.

I am ordering an Alu-Cab canopy today. It has just been approved for production and should be here in the first quarter of 2020. I have used these on extensive off-road expeditions and to my mind nothing else on the market comes close considering it's weight, strength and durability...but everyone has different needs.
BTW it starts out at about 3K.

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
I tow a trailer/camper for sleeping quarters so no need for a RTT, just give us a basic hard shell and I'm good to go.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
A fiberglass cap will probably not allow you to install a RTT on it, particularly if you take it off-road.
If all you want to do is to keep your groceries dry then that's fine but that's not what you'll find at SEMA.

I am ordering an Alu-Cab canopy today. It has just been approved for production and should be here in the first quarter of 2020. I have used these on extensive off-road expeditions and to my mind nothing else on the market comes close considering it's weight, strength and durability...but everyone has different needs.
BTW it starts out at about 3K.
Ooooh, any more details on the alu-cab cap? I want one too. 2 for 1?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
If this is another one of those Heavy, $$$$ "Swiss Army Knife" Rigs . . . meh ! It screams this is my "SAFE" come break in if you can," to ME . . . just me, just an opinion . I prefer to KISS it as much as possible while still having some basic creature comforts - such as a roof top sleeping area I don't have to Crunch my 6ft frame into ! So for me, so far, I'm (again) leaning heavily in the LEENTU UTE direction (JT) or IF Ursa Minor EVER gets off it's ASS and actually Presents us with the new JLU popup . . . . . . well . . . ? . . . we're STILL waiting nearly 2 years since YOUR 1st announcement of . Pretty much given up on that and hoping "others" take up the JLU Cause !
You need to make one out of PLYWOOD Lou. Lol
Sponsored