Sponsored

No Caps/Toppers/Shells at Sema?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm ready to get my jt next year. Thinking about fabricating my own front and rear bumper bed rack and side steps, I'll build them how I want them. Should be fun
I actually want to take some tech college night courses in welding. Got a lot to build.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It's a very valuable skill in my book. I'm not the best in the world but it takes patience.
Absolutely, I can do a bit of wire feed welding, but I want to learn TIG.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I tow a trailer/camper for sleeping quarters so no need for a RTT, just give us a basic hard shell and I'm good to go.
If I didn't have my 14ft. Drift Boat to tow, I'd be doing the hard shell off road trailer too . SO many options thee it's mind boggling .

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
You need to make one out of PLYWOOD Lou. Lol
No, you need tomato one out of plywood for me . . . make it an airtight seal so it takes longer of the bugs to get to me . . . :LOL: :swear: ;) ?

edit half hour later ~ "TOMATO" one??? Geez google spell checker, you pecker head, I HATE YOU !

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
A fiberglass cap will probably not allow you to install a RTT on it, particularly if you take it off-road.
If all you want to do is to keep your groceries dry then that's fine but that's not what you'll find at SEMA.

I am ordering an Alu-Cab canopy today. It has just been approved for production and should be here in the first quarter of 2020. I have used these on extensive off-road expeditions and to my mind nothing else on the market comes close considering it's weight, strength and durability...but everyone has different needs.
BTW it starts out at about 3K.
Not true. ARE and Snugtop make models with support built for carrying loads on top:

119650-8053ba9ab29c1dae9be6e8bb47e7a5b3.jpg

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I really dont understand why ARE and Snugtop cant make a cap where the roof flips out over the cab into a tent like the GoFast Camper. If they could do that for $3,500 or less they would sell a shit ton.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
I carried over mine from a previous 2005 Nissan Frontier. I ended up adapting it to fit over/around a rhino rack pioneer platform, but their current offerings are very close to the gladiator bed size.

www.softopper.com/softopper
This what I bought, Gotta have the bed covered for the Dog.
BA96681F-4F0E-4C49-A942-038182262D80.jpeg

3E06B80C-1EB5-4BD9-985F-624D98A0297D.jpeg

DDEE70D6-5055-4DBB-9FDC-2144C3CC3056.jpeg

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
A fiberglass cap will probably not allow you to install a RTT on it, particularly if you take it off-road.
If all you want to do is to keep your groceries dry then that's fine but that's not what you'll find at SEMA.

I am ordering an Alu-Cab canopy today. It has just been approved for production and should be here in the first quarter of 2020. I have used these on extensive off-road expeditions and to my mind nothing else on the market comes close considering it's weight, strength and durability...but everyone has different needs.
There are countless tacomas running around with RTTs on fiberglass caps- without internal support frames. $3k for the alucab is better than that SS thing from ZA.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
There are countless tacomas running around with RTTs on fiberglass caps- without internal support frames. $3k for the alucab is better than that SS thing from ZA.

Well taco drivers don’t really go out in the bush...:CWL:

alwhite

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Honda Element
Occupation
Librarian
www.softopper.com/softopper
This what I bought, Gotta have the bed covered for the Dog.
any estimate on when youll have it delivered?
i'm trying to decide if i want to try and make a bestop supertop for truck work instead of the softopper. thinking one for the colorado might fit well enough.

coreoski

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Test Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear that - my research constantly brings me back to Alu-Cab too. Have you seen any pictures/technical information on the JT specific one though? My only hesitation is making sure it fits the profile of the JT, tall canopy sides to be flush with cab, steep pitch, etc.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Glad to hear that - my research constantly brings me back to Alu-Cab too. Have you seen any pictures/technical information on the JT specific one though? My only hesitation is making sure it fits the profile of the JT, tall canopy sides to be flush with cab, steep pitch, etc.
There were a couple of pics on this forum of the Tacoma shell on the Gladiator but that’s it as far as I know. The version that is on the Toyota LC 79 has fairly vertical sidewalls so I think that’s what we’d get for the Jeep.
I’ll do a full write up as soon as I get it installed for others to see.
Sponsored