First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Removing the drain plug because it was prone to cracking or leaking isn’t really a great answer.
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Drains are nice to have, but I'd rather have a stronger axle housing.

So like with every other build I have done over the last 20+ years, I will replace the diff covers with ones that have a built in drain port.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a few Jeeps with Dana 35s, 30s, and 44s and none of them had drain plugs. Nor have any of my other solid axle vehicles...

Never been a deal breaker for me. I always invest in a set of Lube Locker gaskets and good to go. Zip out all of the screws but leave the top one half threaded and break the seal if you just want to do a quick drain after maybe some deep water crossings. You don't even have to pull the cover off if you're worried about getting your fingers dirty.

Sponsored

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Removing the drain plug because it was prone to cracking or leaking isn’t really a great answer.
I dont agree. I work in manufacturing engineering and deal with things like this frequently. From an OEM standpoint, I understand and frankly agree with wanting to reduce up front cost and improve durability. Its a win-win from Jeep's standpoint, especially when the resultant product is the "same". Is there means to otherwise change the fluid? Absolutely, the same way weve been changing solid axle diff fluid for decades. Does it take more time than having a drain plug? Probably, but the process of pumping the fluid out or popping the cover are very easy.

Think about this. Up front, one can argue that there is potential for drain plug leakage on the production line. Its annoying, causes production delay, and costs money to fix that Jeep doesnt want to spend. Corrective action --> remove the drain. Down the road, there is potential for the end user to damage the diff housing/plug by using the Jeep in an offroad setting (which we can argue it was designed to do just that). The fluid can eventually leak out while the user is driving the vehicle and eventually grenade the diff. Risk --> drain leaks, requires dealer fix prior to axle failure, or axle failure as a result of customer negligence. Both very probable, and both cost money. Corrective action --> remove the drain.

Again....how often are yall changing the fluid to be so annoyed by this?

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
I agree that it’s not the end of the world to not have a drain plug, but let’s also not make it out like this is some sort of monumental technical challenge to make a drain plug that doesn’t leak. I’ve owned decades worth of German cars that require diff fluid changes, they all have drain and fill plugs so it’s super easy. My wife’s car requires rear diff fluid changes every 40k, takes about 5 minutes.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I agree that it’s not the end of the world to not have a drain plug, but let’s also not make it out like this is some sort of monumental technical challenge to make a drain plug that doesn’t leak. I’ve owned decades worth of German cars that require diff fluid changes, they all have drain and fill plugs so it’s super easy. My wife’s car requires rear diff fluid changes every 40k, takes about 5 minutes.
Even with the diff cover removal, this is still a very quick drain and refill job due to the reusable rubber gasket provided from the factory. A little more messy, sure, but I agree with others that you also get the opportunity to inspect everything and really clean it out well.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I'll be honest, I wanted to 'change' my rear diff fluid at 7k miles and I just used a vacuum evacuator to pull 90% and wipe the fill plug magnet off. I know I didn't get it all but in another 7k I'll finally pull the cover and go through it properly then. In my case I just wanted to get most of the wear in fluid out.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'll just copy and paste part of my response on the starter thread to this follow up thread...
Editing out the O-ring part.
To have drain plug or not to have a drain plug. Positively Shakespearen :LOL: 😋
My experience with vehicles with axle drain plugs is very limited. From 77 Ford Explorer pickup, GM and Ford cars, 90XJ, 91MJ,or XJ none. Most recent with my JT a drain plug on axle others M35a2 2.5 and 5 tons military trucks all running Rockwell axles with Bull gear or some other heavy duty trucks and heavy ass vehicles. Drain plugs on axles have been known to leak and sometimes get loose or back out and get lost. You can guess how that works out. On some of the ones I mentioned it was recommended to use thread sealer to prevent the loss of gear oil and or plug.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Drains are nice to have, but I'd rather have a stronger axle housing.

So like with every other build I have done over the last 20+ years, I will replace the diff covers with ones that have a built in drain port.
For those concerned -
21/64" drill bit
1/8" pipe tap
1/8" pipe plug (hex, recessed)
An hours time or less.

If you have certain ford differentials or a MOPAR 8 3/4" you don't have a cover to remove so a drain plug is sort of nice short of removing the whole center section.
For others, no big deal, put in a drain plug, or just pull the cover to drain, or buy a cover with a drain plug or put a drain plug in the cover you have.
I've installed drain plugs in many dozens of transmission pans - that's a bit more messy taking down a THM350 pan with all the fluid still in the tranny....so I drill the pan, braze a nut inside the pan, and put in a drain plug (at least for customers I figured would be coming back in the future)

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
jeep axles never had plugs if they weren’t 44s, so you always had to take off the cover. Always thought the drain the plug was only to drain it so you didn’t make a mess when you took the cover off anyway.
JK Dana 30 had a plug

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
For those concerned -
21/64" drill bit
1/8" pipe tap
1/8" pipe plug (hex, recessed)
An hours time or less.

If you have certain ford differentials or a MOPAR 8 3/4" you don't have a cover to remove so a drain plug is sort of nice short of removing the whole center section.
For others, no big deal, put in a drain plug, or just pull the cover to drain, or buy a cover with a drain plug or put a drain plug in the cover you have.
I've installed drain plugs in many dozens of transmission pans - that's a bit more messy taking down a THM350 pan with all the fluid still in the tranny....so I drill the pan, braze a nut inside the pan, and put in a drain plug (at least for customers I figured would be coming back in the future)
GMs refusal to put drain plugs in trans pans is beyond words.

Like you said, I either add one or upgrade to a better pan.
Sponsored