Sponsored

No diff drain plugs?!

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I have plugs. If I wanted to remove the cover I would drain it out of the plug first anyway and inspect the magnet. I personally think they discontinued it for cost savings but I have nothing to back that up.
This.

Also, I'm glad mine has the drain plugs. Pulling the cover when I don't have to sucks. For those inspecting your gears, rock on with your bad selves... but what if you find something bad? You're only slightly less screwed if you find out the hard way.

Too much metal in the flakings? Ring gear missing a tooth? Whaddya gonna do, regear it right there in the driveway? I wouldn't, and I actually did my own regear. I'm not saying inspecting your gears is a waste of time, but let's be real- it has LIMITED benefit.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
My '22 JTRD front AND rear has no diff drain plugs. Went to go change the oil and found that out. Talk about cheapening out.. now I gotta pop these diff covers, so ridiculous.
If I were you- put the front and rear axles up for sale nowā€¦. And order the 60ā€™s! šŸ˜‰

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Since the diffs are only 8 months old and 10K miles, wonder if I could just re-use the gaskets.
they are def. are reusable man,they made em out some durable stuff its a metal core gasket too from the feel of it so dont even worry in re-using it :)

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Donā€™t be so quick to be bitter. There are good reasons for change.
Man i wish my JTRD didnt have those stupid plugs at the bottom lol,might weld em shut one day cause they"ll get beat up when draggin on rocks and start leaking
Either way your supposed to take them covers off drain your fluid and check your gears and spray em down,for my case atleast since thats what i do :D

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
My '22 JTRD front AND rear has no diff drain plugs. Went to go change the oil and found that out. Talk about cheapening out.. now I gotta pop these diff covers, so ridiculous.
Itā€™s a blessing in disguise actually. Youā€™ll thank Jeep for making you pull that cover. WHY you ask. Because thereā€™s a locker sensor in there that sits on top of a MAGNET and itā€™s plugging up with filings and magnetic gunk which effects how effectively your lockers engage and disengage.

While youā€™re in there taking off the sensor (one torx screw) you can see if the sensor has oil in it or not and maybe ā€œpotā€ them at the same time. (Lots of great info on that and many of us have done that)

I just did mine. Cleaned the sensor magnet in both diffs on my 21 JTR and potted to sensors and the lockers now engage on the second dash signal blink! Iā€™m not waiting any more like I was before for the lockers to engage. Itā€™s now immediate! Disengaging is immediate. Youā€™ll be glad you pulled the cover and found that sensor magnet packed full a crap.

Spray out the diffs with brake cleaner too. Youā€™ll feel good to see it all clean.

3543AD0F-D1B6-4365-BC54-0CDDEF178EFF.jpeg

242A59A3-5B4C-420F-A3A1-8888E5454832.jpeg

89D02AEB-1B7E-4D45-B0CC-C168AEEC7768.jpeg

34AA3236-1E75-45D9-98AD-EECD88E3FE32.jpeg

7714C391-E966-41D3-8FA8-8FAC6FE2A75A.jpeg

4F7074E1-CB3B-4F3D-A5AC-AAD2D25EF631.jpeg

C1116AF9-F009-4DAB-84F0-4315813C4008.jpeg

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Thank you Kevin.

If you have a JTR. It's best to pull the covers and clean the sensor magnets. All the tiny bits gets collected on them. Since they no longer put round magnets in the diffs or tranny pans. The tiny particles collect on anything that can be magnetized. Guess what? Everything inside a diff can be magnetized. It's a good shop habit to wipe out and clean the inside of a diff when doing a fluid change.

I've worked on a lot of axles over the years. I say that 98% of them didn't have a drain plug. The ones that did have a drain plug were like the Ford 9" style. The Mopar 8 3/4", Nissin 9" truck. I have come across a few diff's with covers that had drain plugs.

Last edited:

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
If I were you- put the front and rear axles up for sale nowā€¦. And order the 60ā€™s! šŸ˜‰
Especially when we talk cheaping out...

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
How many miles if I may ask?
49k kms. (30k miles) Keep in mind I have a drain plug with a magnet that had a nice mound of magnetic paste on it. So for those that donā€™t have this drain plug, your sensor magnet would be packed and lockers not engaging well.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Thank you Kevin.

If you have a JTR. It's best to pull the covers and clean the sensor magnets. All the tiny bits gets collected on them. Since they no longer put round magnets in the diffs or tranny pans. The tiny particles collect on anything that can be magnetized. Guess what? Everything inside a diff can be magnetized. It's a good shop habit to wipe out and clean the inside of a diff when doing a fluid change.

I've worked on a lot of axles over the years. I say that 98% of them didn't have a drain plug. The ones that did have a drain plug were like the Ford 9" style. The Mopar 8 3/4", Nissin 9" truck. I have come across a few diff's with covers that had drain plugs.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
49k kms. (30k miles) Keep in mind I have a drain plug with a magnet that had a nice mound of magnetic paste on it. So for those that donā€™t have this drain plug, your sensor magnet would be packed and lockers not engaging well.

It's pretty normal for a drain plug to have a magnet on it.......right? Seems like a great pro for having a drain plug.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
It's pretty normal for a drain plug to have a magnet on it.......right? Seems like a great pro for having a drain plug.
Youā€™d think itā€™s normal but good to check. Obviously my diff drain plugs do but when looking at the transfer case drain plug (off topic), there is no magnetic.

Would it hurt to slap on a couple earth magnets inside the diff or to the outside of the cover?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Youā€™d think itā€™s normal but good to check. Obviously my diff drain plugs do but when looking at the transfer case drain plug (off topic), there is no magnetic.

Would it hurt to slap on a couple earth magnets inside the diff or to the outside of the cover?
Yeah, that did occur to me. I figured though given my luck it would jar loose and get sucked into the gears. :swear:

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yeah, that did occur to me. I figured though given my luck it would jar loose and get sucked into the gears. :swear:
Lol! Ya maybe on the outside is best. At least, with your luck, theyā€™ll come off and end up through someone elseā€™s windshield or radšŸ¤£
Sponsored