ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
My '22 JTRD front AND rear has no diff drain plugs. Went to go change the oil and found that out. Talk about cheapening out.. now I gotta pop these diff covers, so ridiculous.
Donā€™t be a complainer. You should be popping the cover to properly clean out the housing. If itā€™s that much of an inconvenience, go to Jiffy Lube or what ever is local to you. Theyā€™ll stick a tube in to suck out the lube, but if you want clean gear oil, pop the cover. The gasket is reusable.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Here's some info for us people with drain plugs front and rear. The rear is offset and pretty much protected, the front could get scraped up at it's center lower location (like the picture above). There's a little skid made to protect the front drain plug.
aximus-3-jljt-drain-plug-skid.jpg
aximus-3-jljt-drain-plug-skid.jpg

A little expensive for what it is, $50. I'm a overland and trail type and don't need a whole lot of skids like the rock guys. I'm constantly trying to keep my rigs weight down and I like this little plug skid, it's definitely not for everyone.

JTpanelsOFF

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JToverland
If Jeep is listeningā€¦ put the drain plugs back in. Thanks

Enough of the cost reduction crap. Enough of making it difficult for people to service their vehicle. Now we have to take the diff cover offā€¦ yea it allows us to inspect the gears but thatā€™s typically not necessary.

In our current world, critical thinking and growth are becoming obsolete. People are able to do less for themselvesā€¦ they are forgetting how to do things. These design changes, which may seem minor, are an example of corporations running the world. Itā€™s more of a narcissistic compassion on the part of the company, rather than a benefit to the consumer.

if Jeep wanted to prevent casting failures due to a weakness from the tapped hole, then they would have put the drain on the back, or made the structure stronger, or they would have added a sacrificial material (armour) below the drain to take the impacts from off road use. Or at the very minimum, they would offer armour aftermarket through Mopar.

Removing the drain reduces their cost of goods sold because they no longer need 1) the threaded bolt 2) tools to make a hole and tap it 3) warehousing 4) people to help complete 1-3, and 5) other stuff that is specific to Jeepā€™s business.

200,000 wranglers are sold per year. If they remove 2 drains, they have removed 400,000 drains. How much $ do they save by eliminating the 5 items that I mentioned for the drain? Well, if it only costs $2.5 for each drain, they saved 1 million per year. Iā€™m sure it is more than that. So they save $ while the price of everything goes up for consumers. Hello

It also increases service revenue for the dealership. Instead of removing a drain bolt and a fill bolt, they have to remove many bolts, clean the cover and axle surfaces, and apply the seal. More revenue for the dealer and less in your pocket. Hello

I like my Jeep but get real.

Everyone needs to wake up because these corporations have gone too far.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Here's some info for us people with drain plugs front and rear. The rear is offset and pretty much protected, the front could get scraped up at it's center lower location (like the picture above). There's a little skid made to protect the front drain plug.
Jeep Gladiator No diff drain plugs?! aximus-3-jljt-drain-plug-skid
Jeep Gladiator No diff drain plugs?! aximus-3-jljt-drain-plug-skid

A little expensive for what it is, $50. I'm a overland and trail type and don't need a whole lot of skids like the rock guys. I'm constantly trying to keep my rigs weight down and I like this little plug skid, it's definitely not for everyone.
That's a great looking option. Rancho has a diff skid with the plug exposed as well. Not sure if it is discontinued or not, because they did release a new front skid for models without the drain plug and the whole diff is now covered.

Sponsored

JTpanelsOFF

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JToverland
Earlier models had them.
Whether the deletion was done by Jeep or Dana, and for what reasons, is up for debate.

PXL_20230111_053557536.jpg
Jeepā€™s badge is on the vehicle. Jeep knows how Dana is building the axle. It isnā€™t like Dana sent axles one day, without drains. Surprise! Lol.

Maybe it was a suggestion by Dana, who knows. But Jeep definitely approved, that is certain.

AHenry014

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Im on the opposite side of the fence here. My experience has been thats its MORE common for trucks to NOT have drain plugs. Every solid axle I have ever done work on has required pumping the fluid out or a cover removal. Heck, theres no drain plugs on my '87 Ford with a Dana 60 up front and a Sterling 10.25 out back. There werent any on my YJ axles and there certainly wasnt on my TJ axles (44 rear).

I could understand the plug removal on these axles. It was a nice thought, but there is no sense in having a feature that, when damaged, could result in axle replacement. Its just not worth it. From jeep's perspective, its an easy decision to remove them.

Lets be real, how often do yall change your diff fluid? If its really a nuisance to you guys, go get yourself a pneumatic fluid extractor. Toss the tube in the fill hole and let it rip for a while. New fluid in, no need to mess with the cover.

I understand the annoyance, but this seems like a silly thing to be up in arms about.

Last edited:

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
It's always best to take the cover off and do an inspections and a feel for anything large. That's why they stopped putting drains in trans pans years ago. Of coruse draing and changing the trans fluid in modern trans's have become a stupiud process for another discussion.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
That picture was posted on the JL Forum, but the person posting it just 'stole' it from somewhere and can not confirm that the housing cracked.

If you look at the picture closely, the housing is not cracked. If it was, the paint would be cracked and the hole would no longer be a circle. I deal with ductile iron castings all the time, and what you are seeing was there when the part was cast.

Sponsored

JTpanelsOFF

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JToverland
Yea thatā€™s what they want you to believe. Youā€™re drinking the corporate koolaid. Corporate propaganda.

The main driver is more money for them. Then they feed everyone the BS so that they can string you along. So that you can spread their propaganda.

Inspect the gears my butt. Maybe their next move with be taking the motor oil drain out. And then Iā€™ll be hearing ā€œwell, when we take the oil pan off, we can inspect the bottom end.ā€

I donā€™t know how well the bottom end can be inspected by taking off the oil pan on these engines. Iā€™m just saying that for effect.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yea thatā€™s what they want you to believe. Youā€™re drinking the corporate koolaid. Corporate propaganda.

The main driver is more money for them. Then they feed everyone the BS so that they can string you along. So that you can spread their propaganda.

Inspect the gears my butt. Maybe their next move with be taking the motor oil drain out. And then Iā€™ll be hearing ā€œwell, when we take the oil pan off, we can inspect the bottom end.ā€

I donā€™t know how well the bottom end can be inspected by taking off the oil pan on these engines. Iā€™m just saying that for effect.
Just wondering, do you doubt we landed on the moon and it was all faked?

JTpanelsOFF

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JToverland
Since Iā€™m saying a lot alreadyā€¦ Iā€™ll say some more

the internet is very full of negativity. You may find my comments to be negative. I get it.

It is easy to take our frustrations on people that we donā€™t know, online.

Letā€™s have a great day šŸ˜Š

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I donā€™t know how well the bottom end can be inspected by taking off the oil pan on these engines

Were not talking engines here, its a discussion on draining the diff. Thats a big DIFFerence. Taking the cover off to inspect IS something you should always do, and you can clearly see the wear pattern on gears and a 5 second look at them can save you a really bad day on the side of the road and it can be corrected with shims very easily before it get to the point of replacing them.
Sponsored