Sponsored

No TPMS?

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
From what I have read they jeep will automatically link it after a few miles. My wife’s Jeep I mean
That is correct for both the JL and the JT. after you for a little bit it will automatically pick them up.
Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
TPMS and law:
Yes. They are required by the Tread Act. Started in the late 90s thanks to the big Firestone recall. Premature tire separation and failure causing fatal accidents. They believe this was all contributed from low tire pressures, thus the Tread Act. Basically, cars from like 2014 on have to be equipped with them. You are not necessarily legally obligated to use them, but tire shops are supposed to adhere to the Tread Act or they can be liable. As annoying as they can be it is nice to keep a closer eye on it. Also, with the Tazer programmer, you can adjust the psi alarm. Personally, If I had to buy new ones and I knew a tire shop wouldn’t require me to have them I wouldn’t have them.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is correct for both the JL and the JT. after you for a little bit it will automatically pick them up.
Thats good to know. I know other vehicles I have had you had to reprogram them, even after a tire rotation! Dumb....

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
You have to program/link them to your vehicle. Tire shop or dealer can do it.
Call a tire shop or dealership & ask... Make sure they know what vehichle & you will be told No.. I was & even showed up in person with the truck at multiple tire shops.

There isnt programming. They just auto detect. Mine did in fact auto detect & showed the pressure in all 4 tires. But the dummy light stayed on for about 800 miles before I gave in & just disabled the damn thing.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I was driving down the highway the other day and came up on a small car with at the most 15psi in the rear drivers wheel. As I was passing I saw what looked like to be a young college aged girl driving with the back seat loaded with clothes etc. I called the state police so they could alert her since it was only a matter of time until the tire blew.

I assume she did not have a TPMS in the vehicle. I would venture to guess that most drivers have no clue as to the importance of proper pressure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Checking your tire pressure monthly doesn't do what a TPMS does: let's you know as soon as one of the tires is low.
[...]
Saving $ by not installing TPMS in your tires is like not wearing your seat belts to keep them looking good.
Mostly agree, except that if a tire goes down there's a chance you can feel it when it happens, whereas, if you need a seat belt and didn't use it, it's already too late.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
So I will be getting new wheels and tires. Also have JScan on the way. Should I just turn off the tpms on the dash and go with normal valve stems? What if any is the value of having tpms in my wheels? I check pressure monthly anyway and whenever a major temp change.

What’s your thoughts? I’m thing why spend $100 on sensors when they aren’t needed?
The value is being able to air down and just look at the dash while the air down tools are on your tires.

OP
OP

Eherbaugh

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired USCG
I was driving down the highway the other day and came up on a small car with at the most 15psi in the rear drivers wheel. As I was passing I saw what looked like to be a young college aged girl driving with the back seat loaded with clothes etc. I called the state police so they could alert her since it was only a matter of time until the tire blew.

I assume she did not a TPMS in the vehicle. I would venture to guess that most drivers have no clue as to the importance of proper pressure.
While agree that most don’t even know how to change a tire and they def need a dummy lite!!
The value is being able to air down and just look at the dash while the air down tools are on your tires.
true but it’s not immediate

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Call a tire shop or dealership & ask... Make sure they know what vehichle & you will be told No.. I was & even showed up in person with the truck at multiple tire shops.

There isnt programming. They just auto detect. Mine did in fact auto detect & showed the pressure in all 4 tires. But the dummy light stayed on for about 800 miles before I gave in & just disabled the damn thing.
[/QUOTE

It seems like the auto detect should work much sooner than 800 miles! Lol. Well I do know that whenever I have new TPMS’s installed,etc at the tire shop they walk around with an electronic device that programs the particular TPMS to the proper placement/position on the vehicle. But idk about the Jeep since I wasn’t there when they installed them

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats the thing... It DID auto detect.. I was getting the readings accurately, none of the individual tires were showing low, the dummy light just wouldn't shut off. I am not the only one with the exact same issue after ordering wheels from the same place. I haven't seen any reports of it getting resolved after it started either. I paid 180 bucks for the sensors so if I found a fix I would not at all mind turning them back on.

Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O
Thats the thing... It DID auto detect.. I was getting the readings accurately, none of the individual tires were showing low, the dummy light just wouldn't shut off. I am not the only one with the exact same issue after ordering wheels from the same place. I haven't seen any reports of it getting resolved after it started either. I paid 180 bucks for the sensors so if I found a fix I would not at all mind turning them back on.
Ooops....I misread your response. I reused my OEM sensors with my new tires/wheels so I had no issues. Seems like whenever you get a brand new vehicle we are the R&D for a year or so. Lol

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
O

Ooops....I misread your response. I reused my OEM sensors with my new tires/wheels so I had no issues. Seems like whenever you get a brand new vehicle we are the R&D for a year or so. Lol
100%.. I still have my OEM sensors, but im going to 37's & with a 5 tire rotation so since the OEM sensors didnt have one in the spare its kinda pointless for me to swap it over.

OP
OP

Eherbaugh

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired USCG
Just got a call from the tire shop the factory replacement tpms will not fit the warm wheels. So looks like I will be going normal valve stems and disable the tpms
Sponsored