Noisy rear Clayton springs.

Jvazqu1980

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator rubicon
I have the Clayton 2.5 inch overland plus lift. Does anyone else hear rattling in the rear springs when going over bumps?
Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello, definitely give us a call or send us an email as it sounds like you could be having an issue with the coils not being seated properly. Coils themselves should not make any sort of noise at all.

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I just installed the same lift on mine, no rattling. I was careful to make sure the springs were clocked properly so that they would seat in the same spot as the factory ones were. Not easy by yourself!!

Make sure your sway bar links are tight as well, those will rattle like crazy if they're not.

EP_Nic

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have this same exact problem I have checked my endlinks multiple times even reseated the springs multiple times.

I just installed the same lift on mine, no rattling. I was careful to make sure the springs were clocked properly so that they would seat in the same spot as the factory ones were. Not easy by yourself!!

Make sure your sway bar links are tight as well, those will rattle like crazy if they're not.
Can you send a picture of how your springs look both top and bottom? I have the collar in place and the spring all the way in the notch, wondering if the issue is coming from how its sitting on the axle.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Those spring perches on these JT's can be tricky!

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I need to reseat mine, really not looking forward to it.

It's impossible for the spring itself to make noise, the noise will come from something hitting... either the spring hitting itself in the progressive coils from excessive bowing, or the chamber around it.

OP
OP

Jvazqu1980

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to reseat mine, really not looking forward to it.

It's impossible for the spring itself to make noise, the noise will come from something hitting... either the spring hitting itself in the progressive coils from excessive bowing, or the chamber around it.
If the springs are bowing a little from front to back should I move the axle forward so the spring is straight up and down? Right now my rear wheels are dead center of the wheel well.

triten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Did you fix the issue? I just installed mine and getting some noise sporadically in the rear when going over bumps. I fixed the rear driver side spring cup as that wasn't indexed in the well. made it better but still get it just not as bad. I have the Ride Right on a max tow.

OP
OP

Jvazqu1980

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you fix the issue? I just installed mine and getting some noise sporadically in the rear when going over bumps. I fixed the rear driver side spring cup as that wasn't indexed in the well. made it better but still get it just not as bad. I have the Ride Right on a max tow.
no luck yet. I reinstalled springs and control arms but still hearing the noise. I did notice one of the springs had a sharp edge and was scratching into the spring perch on the axle. I smoothed out the sharp edge before reinstalling the spring but it’s still making noise when I hit bumps and cracks in the road.

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I had some noise issues with my 3.5" Clayton springs. After I confirmed twice that the springs were set correctly, I had 2 different shops looked at it. 1 shop adjusted the control arms and the noise was gone, but the pinion angle was trash, so I went back to the recommended control arm length. 2nd shop noticed the coils were contacting each other when bouncing on the truck. Their suggested fix was an angled bottom spring perch spacer to take the bow out of the spring, but they never called me back after they said they would order the parts.

After looking at the pictures of my stock suspension when I listed it for sale and noticed the coil sleeves, I finally took matters in to my own hands and saw that Metal Cloak has spring sleeves they include with their lift kits and the instructions call for using your stock ones too. I ordered a set of the sleeves and my noise was drastically reduced. I noticed their was still contact on some coils when the truck was set down on the suspension, so I ordered 2 more sleeve pairs effectively making up for not using the ones from the stock suspension. The noise is now gone.

Clayton's customer service has been 2nd to none for replacing parts I messed up during install and playing with my control arm lengths, so I don't understand why I needed the coil sleeves to mitigate my noise issue.

Sponsored

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have the 3.5" overland+ kit and my rear coils have become unseated twice, causing a lot of noise. My shop is recommending limit straps but I haven't even wheeled it and only time on full flex is on the lift. I'd check there first.

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I have the 3.5" overland+ kit and my rear coils have become unseated twice, causing a lot of noise. My shop is recommending limit straps but I haven't even wheeled it and only time on full flex is on the lift. I'd check there first.
Are you sure you don't have 2.5" springs? I have to unbolt my shocks and rear track bar before my axle droops far enough to get my springs out.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Are you sure you don't have 2.5" springs? I have to unbolt my shocks and rear track bar before my axle droops far enough to get my springs out.
Hmm, i'll have my shop (and myself) double check when I pick it up this afternoon. Thanks!

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I'm pretty certain it has to do with how closely spaced the upper coils are from the triple rate. As noted above if you get your axle setup at an angle the springs are directly straight you get no noise but you do get a terrible pinion angle. If you set a good pinion angle then you will get a little bowing, which itself is fine, but when the coils are so close together they get even closer.

I am tempted to go with coil overs front and rear as the springs will always be linear in their travel.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Just to chime in, I was having the same issue with my rear 2.5" clayton springs. Metalcloak actually sells coil sleeves for the JT that fit the clayton springs. They eliminated a large majority of the rear noise and im very happy to fix that noise for about $50.
Sponsored