Sponsored

Noisy rear Clayton springs.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Anyone confirm if the rubber added to the springs worked? I have developed a loud chirping, squeaking sound in the rear on the passenger side. It happens when going over bumps. I have re-seated my springs twice, put in new mopar top isolators, and checked all bolts for tightness. This thread may have answered my problem, just need to know before I drop $100 on rubber hoses.

I can confirm that the rear isolators solved my issue!
Sponsored

rubiryanjt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Self Employed
Anyone confirm if the rubber added to the springs worked? I have developed a loud chirping, squeaking sound in the rear on the passenger side. It happens when going over bumps. I have re-seated my springs twice, put in new mopar top isolators, and checked all bolts for tightness. This thread may have answered my problem, just need to know before I drop $100 on rubber hoses.
The hoses helped me, but in the end 9 had a upper control arm bolt that was loose and causing the rattle.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
What shocks do you have? There's been recent talk about Fox shocks getting noisy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

Sponsored

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Medical Biller/Collection
What shocks do you have? There's been recent talk about Fox shocks getting noisy
The fox shocks. I removed both and went for a drive and the noise was still there.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Metal cloak sells them
That's the ones I'm looking at. Were you able to put them on without removing the spring? Thought I could put the truck on a lift and let the axle drop without having to unbolt anything. Those rear torque specs kill me.

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
That's the ones I'm looking at. Were you able to put them on without removing the spring? Thought I could put the truck on a lift and let the axle drop without having to unbolt anything. Those rear torque specs kill me.
I had to drop my rears springs to get the sleeves in to the right place which was at the very top of the coil.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I had to drop my rears springs to get the sleeves in to the right place which was at the very top of the coil.
I managed to get bpth mine on the rear springs without taking the springs out. With alittle Windex (so it'll slide on the spring) ,some finesse and a skinned knuckle or two It worked out.

The metal cloak ones are split down the middle so they just kinda fit over the spring

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I managed to get bpth mine on the rear springs without taking the springs out. With alittle Windex (so it'll slide on the spring) ,some finesse and a skinned knuckle or two It worked out.

The metal cloak ones are split down the middle so they just kinda fit over the spring
I ran mine all the way to the first coil on the spring. I had to use a screw driver to pry the coils apart when they were out on the ground. No way that was happening on the truck. :LOL: I used 3 sleeves per spring and put them anywhere the coils could touch under normal compression (speed bumps, etc). Probably over kill, but I don't hear anything when I drive over the speed bumps in my neighborhood now.

Sponsored

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Thanks everyone, I will get a couple of sets ordered tonight.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Check these out as well! We found them a few weeks back and just got them in, they worked great. At some point when things aren't so hectic, we may just start bringing these in-house, but for anybody having any issues due to a lack of weight on the rear of the vehicle, these are a very good solution!

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.6112
I don’t think it has anything to do with the weight, I have a 20”x12 wheel and 38x15 tire as my spare but the coils still hit. Reseated and confirmed everything was set correctly. Took to an alignment shop to confirm pinion was correct. Tried it without the spare and still the same noise. It’s definitely coming from the top portion of the coils. Seems like the coil isolators should come with the kit.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I have the isolator sleeve things ready to go on, but hearing about people who can't quite get it right, I may just not bother with removing and reseating and just find other springs. It seems like the springs are just too sensitive to being aligned exactly properly. You find that Goldilocks setup and they're great, but if your rear axle has just a few degrees of misalignment and one side of the top coils isn't fully compressed and chatters a lot.

There's a video from Teraflex about this, were they discuss springs that have a top section that basically acts as a spacer, not really participating in the suspension on normal roads. And as it appears, adding to noise.

Seems like this is coil bind that isn't quite bound, is a little askew and chattering.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
These are the ones that we used!

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.6112
I don’t think it has anything to do with the weight, I have a 20”x12 wheel and 38x15 tire as my spare but the coils still hit. Reseated and confirmed everything was set correctly. Took to an alignment shop to confirm pinion was correct. Tried it without the spare and still the same noise. It’s definitely coming from the top portion of the coils. Seems like the coil isolators should come with the kit.
Once there is enough weight on the vehicle to compress the topmost part of the rear coils, the noise subsides. A spare wheel and tire may not be enough weight to accomplish this. However, using the isolators at the top of the coil stops the part of the spring that is bumping into itself while going over bumps, and therefore gets rid of the problem. In the future when things are not so crazy we may bring these isolators in-house, but they are not included in the kits at the moment as this has not been an issue for most of our customers.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the isolator sleeve things ready to go on, but hearing about people who can't quite get it right, I may just not bother with removing and reseating and just find other springs. It seems like the springs are just too sensitive to being aligned exactly properly. You find that Goldilocks setup and they're great, but if your rear axle has just a few degrees of misalignment and one side of the top coils isn't fully compressed and chatters a lot.

There's a video from Teraflex about this, were they discuss springs that have a top section that basically acts as a spacer, not really participating in the suspension on normal roads. And as it appears, adding to noise.

Seems like this is coil bind that isn't quite bound, is a little askew and chattering.

I think the isolators will definitely help to solve your problem as it is just the topmost part of the coil causing the noise you are experiencing and having a piece of rubber separating the two parts that are hitting each other stops the noise completely :like: This solution has worked so far for all of our customers experiencing this problem and it is relatively quick and easy. You shouldn't have to worry so much about coil orientation once the isolators are installed.

We recognize the many advantages and disadvantages of linear, dual rate, and triple rate coil springs which is why we utilize all three variants of coils where we see they work best. For the rear of the Gladiator, a triple rate coil spring will be the best solution and option for 90% of Gladiator builds due to the added weight management benefits and longer overall length which helps to prevent coils from unseating. There are some instances of course where a dual-rate coil may work better for somebody's build depending on how they plan on using the vehicle, but for most a triple rate coil design in the rear of the JT will be the best option to go with.

If you have any other questions or continue to experience issues after the isolator install, just reach out and we would be happy to work with you in figuring out what may be causing your problem!
Sponsored