100% SYNTHETIC
PRODUCT RANGE
CAR
ACEA STANDARDS
ACEA C3
API STANDARDS
API SERVICE SN
OEM APPROVALS
GM DEXOS2 ; MB-APPROVAL 229.51 ; PORSCHE A40 ; RENAULT RN0710 / RN0700 - PERFORMANCE LEVEL : BMW LL-04 <2019 ; CHRYSLER MS-12991 ; FIAT 9.55535-S2 / T2 / GH2 ; FORD WSS-M2C917-A ; VW 505 00 - 505 01
PACKAGING
1 LITER, 5 LITER
ARTICLE NUMBER
103790 ; 103791 ; 103853 ; 103854 ; 103855 ; 103856
TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
100% synthetic engine oil, specially designed for Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) and Three Way Catalytic converters. Any car powered by turbo Diesel direct injection or gasoline engines, EURO IV and EURO V emission regulation compliant, requiring an ACEA C3 engine lubricant, high HTHS viscosity and (Mid-SAPS).
1613156526200-png.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
This is what I am going to use when it arrives:
8100 X-CLEAN 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 should be a good oil. If possible, post your UOA results. The only UOA results I've seen are from Amsoil, Pennzoil, and Redline. Redline had the worst UOA results. Amsoil produces less ash compared to the Pennzoil, so that's an easy decision. So far, Amsoil looks the best on paper, but we don't have any data on the other oils.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
Like most I am a bit surprised by the incredibly specific non-diesel engine oil this requires. But since I'm changing my own oil and these engines are still very young I'm not going to stray at all from a verified, well-documented path of compliance in case a warranty issue arises.

Which brings me to my question. This list says Valvoline Full Synth Euro Car 5w-40 meets the Chrysler MS-12991 spec. This is appealing because you can get 5qt jugs of it for cheaper than the single qts volumetric price of everything else. But looking at pictures of the back of the physical bottle does not reveal the listed spec. Given that product images can be out of date, I went here:
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/european-vehicle-full-synthetic-motor-oil

downloaded the product information sheet and pasted below. Nothing. Notice the effective date at the bottom, 2 days ago.
Can someone prove otherwise? If so that would be great. If not this oil should be pulled from the list in the first post.
Jeep Gladiator Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations 1616179388264

Jeep Gladiator Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations 1616179314270

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Which brings me to my question. This list says Valvoline Full Synth Euro Car 5w-40 meets the Chrysler MS-12991 spec. But looking at pictures of the back of the physical bottle does not reveal the listed spec.
You will have to call Valvoline. Their tech department confirmed it met the MS-12991 spec. It's possible that Valvoline didn't want to pay for the certification, at least not this early in the game.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Like most I am a bit surprised by the incredibly specific non-diesel engine oil this requires. But since I'm changing my own oil and these engines are still very young I'm not going to stray at all from a verified, well-documented path of compliance in case a warranty issue arises.

Which brings me to my question. This list says Valvoline Full Synth Euro Car 5w-40 meets the Chrysler MS-12991 spec. This is appealing because you can get 5qt jugs of it for cheaper than the single qts volumetric price of everything else. But looking at pictures of the back of the physical bottle does not reveal the listed spec. Given that product images can be out of date, I went here:
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/european-vehicle-full-synthetic-motor-oil

downloaded the product information sheet and pasted below. Nothing. Notice the effective date at the bottom, 2 days ago.
Can someone prove otherwise? If so that would be great. If not this oil should be pulled from the list in the first post.

I think I was the first guy to run Valvoline in the Gen 3 EcoDiesel. But, I was buying it when it was still labeled under the MST name, and it had the MS-12991 stamp on the bottle.

Shortly afterward, Valvoline started to change the branding on that oil. It went from "MST" to "European Vehicle". When that happened, the MS-12991 certification was also removed from the label. I contacted Valvoline myself and asked if the oil still met the cert that I needed. They told me that it does, and that they are working to update their product data sheets.

Well, several months have now passed and they haven't ever done so. In fact, another member said that when he contacted Valvoline to inquire about the status of this recently, they told him that they aren't going to spec the European Vehicle bottles for MS-12991.

Does this mean that it's not an acceptable oil? Absolutely not. It's the correct viscosity and the correct API category. You can certainly use it and the owners manual states that you can. However, if you are concerned about the *recommendation* for MS-12991 oils, then you need to look elsewhere.

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
PITA... took my Jeep into a dealership for which I called and confirmed that they would use Mopar MaxPro 5W40 (after they initially said Rotella, for which I had them double-check).

Figured I was good to go... got home, checked the slip and googled the part no. 68001332PC, and that seems to be a Rotella #. Great... think it's worth bitching to them to drain it and put the correct stuff in?

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
think it's worth bitching to them to drain it and put the correct stuff in?
T6 doesn't meet spec and could cause engine damage, so yeah, I would get it changed ASAP. Plus, I would have it documented that the dealer put in the wrong spec oil.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Stopped by the dealer and asked for a litre of oil spec for my Eco diesel. They gave me the Penzoil 5-40 Euro spec refined from natural gas.
Interestingly the packaging shows it is a Shell product.
Probably whey the Rotella T6 was not upgraded.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Stopped by the dealer and asked for a litre of oil spec for my Eco diesel. They gave me the Penzoil 5-40 Euro spec refined from natural gas.
Interestingly the packaging shows it is a Shell product.
Probably whey the Rotella T6 was not upgraded.
Yes, Rotella and Pennzoil are both made by Shell. The Pennzoil 5W-40 Euro is the only product they make that meets the 3rd gen spec.

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
I had my first oil change done yesterday at the dealership and they used Rotella. When I questioned them on it not meeting the requirements they said it wouldn’t void any warranty issues. A BS answer IMO. I’m going to talk to the service manager tomorrow and have it documented that they used the incorrect oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I had my first oil change done yesterday at the dealership and they used Rotella. When I questioned them on it not meeting the requirements they said it wouldn’t void any warranty issues. A BS answer IMO. I’m going to talk to the service manager tomorrow and have it documented that they used the incorrect oil.
It doesn't meet spec, which means it could ruin the engine and emissions systems. I'm amazed that these dealers are doing this. This is complete incompetence. If you personally put T6 in your engine and had an engine failure, your warranty woud be denied!

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
This was the reply I got from my dealer:

"Hello Alex, my name is Josh, I'm the service advisor who worked with you and your Gladiator yesterday. I apologize about the confusion and mixup here about the oil. I spoke with both the service manager and parts manager and together we looked into the oil issue. We've used the Rotella oil in all of the diesels, including the eco diesels since they've come out, because they're specifically a diesel oil. When looking at the specs of the MOPAR MaxPro sae 5w40 oil, it isn't specifically mentioned that that oil is a diesel oil, so our parts manager used the normal designated diesel oil. Again, I apologize for any mixup or frustration this might have caused. The oil currently in your truck is perfectly acceptable to use, but if you would prefer us to switch it to the MaxPro, we'd be more than happy to help in that regard. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, sorry again!"

Yeeeep, I'll be back in to get MaxPro or any other oil that meets MS-12991...

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
We've used the Rotella oil in all of the diesels, including the eco diesels since they've come out, because they're specifically a diesel oil.
Right, because up until 2019, all those diesels used the T6 spec!

When looking at the specs of the MOPAR MaxPro sae 5w40 oil, it isn't specifically mentioned that that oil is a diesel oil, so our parts manager used the normal designated diesel oil.
Notice that he doesn't mention the 2020+ EcoDiesel spec! He's worried about the oil, but not the manufacturer's spec. Insane!
Yeeeep, I'll be back in to get MaxPro or any other oil that meets MS-12991...
Tell him that you would like to follow the OE recommendation that is printed in your owner's manual because you do not want your warranty to be denied!

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
yup, just took it back to get it fixed. Luckily they didn't give me any fuss/lip about it, so I guess that's good.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
yup, just took it back to get it fixed. Luckily they didn't give me any fuss/lip about it, so I guess that's good.
They know they are in the wrong, which is why they didn't give you any fuss.

I can't verify this story to be true, but I've only heard of one gen 3 engine failure. The guy posted in the 3rd gen EcoDiesel Facebook group. He claimed that his engine failed somewhere around 26,000 miles due to the dealer putting in T6. Take it for what it's worth, but that's what he claimed. The dealer had to pay for the cost since it was their fault.
Sponsored