Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
So when this was announced many months ago, I posed the question: Will this be a fully loaded low volume special edition model? Or will the 392 engine simply become another option like the Hurricane and EcoDiesel did?

Looks like (at least initially) the former is the case. Which means that pricing will be higher than expected. Do I think it'll be $90K? HELL NO. Do I think it'll be a substantial price increase over current loaded Rubicon? Yes.
Competing with the new Bronco is a primary objective for the V8 Wrangler. So it wouldn't make sense to make it a limited production model. In that scenario, people would show up at the dealer to buy a V8 Jeep and the dealer would have to say, "Oh, those aren't available. But take a look at our V6 Jeeps". To this, the prospective buyer would say, "Slag off. I'll go buy a Bronco".

According to Jeep, another objective is giving buyers what they're asking for. Jeep has pointed out people are putting V8s into their Jeeps. Here again, telling prospective buyers those V8 Jeeps simply aren't available and they were all scarfed up by investors who are auctioning them at Barrett-Jackson would cause some serious buyer consternation. And to this again, prospective buyers would head over to the Ford lot just to spite Jeep.

So, no. I don't think the V8 Wrangler will be a limited production vehicle. Jeep won't release any pricing until next year. The $56,000 suggestion is likely way too low. But I wouldn't expect $90,000 either. I would expect just over $60,000.

Of course, the overall objective for Jeep is to sell as many vehicles as possible. No doubt they've done multiple surveys, studies and focus groups which all screamed loudly that people want to buy a V8 Jeep. Nothing convinces executives to make a decision like the ability to say, "We will sell a LOT of these!". And sell of lot of them they will. That's my take anyway.
Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
So when this was announced many months ago, I posed the question: Will this be a fully loaded low volume special edition model? Or will the 392 engine simply become another option like the Hurricane and EcoDiesel did?

Looks like (at least initially) the former is the case. Which means that pricing will be higher than expected. Do I think it'll be $90K? HELL NO. Do I think it'll be a substantial price increase over current loaded Rubicon? Yes.
I don't think there would be a big price difference if you would compare an equally optioned JLUR with the 3.6 V6 vs the 392 V8, except the additional CAFE standards cost placed on JEEP.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
OK. I am hyped up. Waiting for the Gladiator Rubicon 392 announcement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I have a feeeling that this won’t happen until demand for the TRX slows down.

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
I have a feeeling that this won’t happen until demand for the TRX slows down.
Are you thinking they would cannibalize each other's sales? I don't feel like they are the same thing. Plus the TRX launch edition is sold out.

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
I did hear a little slip speaking about "The wind through the Gladiator Grille" during the meat of the presentation about the Wrangler. There is hope.
that’s because they’re using the wider opening grill that started in the gladiator

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Are you thinking they would cannibalize each other's sales? I don't feel like they are the same thing. Plus the TRX launch edition is sold out.
yes. The Mojave with a 392 although obviously not being the same as a TRX would definitely be cross shopped hard IMO
Sponsored