Oil Shortage ???

Larry D

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order
Never wait if you find it. 3 deep and got 5 more on the way.

20210911_102125.jpg
And I got it all at my local Walmart except the last 5. For some reason they are shipping it from back east 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Larry D

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order
I almost feel bad but I'll have two diesel gladiators to maintain soon as they deliver my gecko sport s

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Did you try Napa?
While I'm not buying for the diesel, my local Napa usually has a very good stock of most oils.

Kevin

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just checked again earlier this weekend. Amazon has the Motul X-clean 5W40 for $42 per 5 liter jug. It's the most healthy oil you'll find for our engine at <0.8% SAPS.

The Quaker State oil is far less expensive, but it's a little higher in SAPS so there's a bit of a trade-off.

I should have oil analysis results later this fall on the QS. Will be interesting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I just checked again earlier this weekend. Amazon has the Motul X-clean 5W40 for $42 per 5 liter jug. It's the most healthy oil you'll find for our engine at <0.8% SAPS.

The Quaker State oil is far less expensive, but it's a little higher in SAPS so there's a bit of a trade-off.

I should have oil analysis results later this fall on the QS. Will be interesting.
That's entirely too over priced to even bother IMHO. I'll end up resorting to the Castrol euro before I go that direction. And in all honesty it's looking to be the only viable option in my area. Castrol Euro 5w40 meets all the identical manufacturers standards as the oils with the Chrysler MS, plus it has the other approved ratings such as SN.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
That's entirely too over priced to even bother IMHO. I'll end up resorting to the Castrol euro before I go that direction. And in all honesty it's looking to be the only viable option in my area. Castrol Euro 5w40 meets all the identical manufacturers standards as the oils with the Chrysler MS, plus it has the other approved ratings such as SN.
Where do you see that Castrol meets MS-12991 spec?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It doesn't. I looked several months ago. It's not on the bottles and it's not in their literature.

The Quaker State is the ONLY oil I've seen at Walmart with the proper spec on the bottle. Although like I mentioned, if you shop online there are lots of options. The Motul X-Clean is probably the best oil overall for this engine. It might be $8/quart but it's really good stuff.

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
It does not have the MS official approval (hardly anything readily available does), however, Castrol does have the approval of other manufacturers such as vw, Porsche, mb and others that MATCH the same approvals listed on quaker state's oil. If it matches every other manufacturer for the Castrol that it does for the Quaker and Chrysler is only the one not listed I'm going to assume it's within the range of usability for the eco-d. Chrysler relates that euro light duty diesel oil with the SN spec is required and MS12991 is recommended.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
By that argument, you can just throw Rotella in it.
Totally incorrect my friend. The Rotella does NOT have the same matching manufacturers approvals as Castrol does. But Castrol isn't the only other option. Valvoline also has matching euro manufacturers approvals but for reasons currently unknown only their foreign MST label (sold outside US) has the Chrysler ms12991 listed on the bottle.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Totally incorrect my friend. The Rotella does NOT have the same matching manufacturers approvals as Castrol does. But Castrol isn't the only other option. Valvoline also has matching euro manufacturers approvals but for reasons currently unknown only their foreign MST label (sold outside US) has the Chrysler ms12991 listed on the bottle.
Those other manufacturer approvals don't mean anything. Just because one oil may share all but the MS-12991 spec with another doesn't automatically mean that it's good enough. You may as well just compare the SN spec, which Rotella and Castrol both meet.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Like I always say, there are a LOT of oils that would probably work great in these engines, Rotella included.

What this boils down to is protecting yourself in the scenario where your injection system blows, or you lose a rod bearing, or something along those lines. It has happened a lot with these EcoDiesels. And you can bet your boots that the dealership isn't going to touch that level of repair unless they get the OK from Stellantis, and Stellantis is going to do what they can to deny coverage on a $10k repair. First thing they're going to ask for is oil change records. If you can show proof of MS-12991 spec on the oil you've been using, it'll go a long way toward helping your fight. If not, you likely will be screwed.

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Like I always say, there are a LOT of oils that would probably work great in these engines, Rotella included.

What this boils down to is protecting yourself in the scenario where your injection system blows, or you lose a rod bearing, or something along those lines. It has happened a lot with these EcoDiesels. And you can bet your boots that the dealership isn't going to touch that level of repair unless they get the OK from Stellantis, and Stellantis is going to do what they can to deny coverage on a $10k repair. First thing they're going to ask for is oil change records. If you can show proof of MS-12991 spec on the oil you've been using, it'll go a long way toward helping your fight. If not, you likely will be screwed.
Mostly if you have your truck serviced at the dealership, I've two oil changes left with the wave program. After that, I'm gonna be changing oil, add another oil type and filter to my inventories.

Guess the dealerships will have to send an oil sample to Stark Industries so Jarvis can analyze for signs of that MS-12991 DNA. :)
Sponsored