First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I wish the Autostick transmission was like the transmission on our Chevy Colorado. The Chevy transmission, when towing our trailer, I could select 6 gear as the top gear out of 8 , to reduce searching. It would automatically downshift and upshift to 6. The Jeep, which I tried today would downshift from 6, but per the manual, I have to upshift manually, which I had to do. Not a big deal, but I will have to remember when using the Autostick to manually upshift when I select a lower gear. Just like driving our manual stick JK’s we owned. Otherwise, we love our Gladiator.
Sponsored

Fortus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Oh, I misread your title. I thought you've only disappointment with the JK. But it looks as if you only have one disappointment, which is completely different. I don't tow, so I really like that 8-speed tranny.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I misread your title. I thought you've only disappointment with the JK. But it looks as if you only have one disappointment, which is completely different. I don't tow, so I really like that 8-speed tranny.
Yeah, tricky - "only disappointment with" is a lot better than "only disappointed with".

Anyway, it takes some getting used to as far as how these autos work, but I'm getting there. Towing my car hauler I often let it do it's own thing. In the mountains, I did the up and down myself.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I will have to remember when using the Autostick to manually upshift when I select a lower gear.
The transmission will upshift, when in autostick, if you rev the engine high enough.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

JRWFarm

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram Ecodiesel
Occupation
Farming
I completely agree with the OP. It is something I did not like about the 8spd in my JL and will be the same in my JT (when it arrives hopefully soon). My Ram with the same trans does what I prefer and wish the Jeep would do; limit upward gear but still shift up and down without me having to. Many times in the JL I would come to a slow down or stop sign and hear it screaming at me to shift back up. On two lane roads with even the slightest grade they are constantly shifting out of 8th so in my Ram I select 7th and don't get that hunting back and forth. It shifts up and down normally but stays out of 8th. Just a difference between the program for Ram vs. Jeep

OP
OP

Dargo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Sorry, should have said I have only one disappoint with our Jeep

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Except for low towing, reverse gear, no remote start...
Low towing: legitimate concern
Reverse gear: is what it is, part of the price you pay for the transmission you want
No remote start: aftermarket is your friend. Personally I prefer to park in gear always (so i don't have to remember specifically when i'm on a hill) so remote start isn't for me

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
What's the gripe with the reverse gear?

Gvsukids

First Name