First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Builder of Legends @ Toledo Assembly Complex
Looking at getting this Rockwood ROO 233S to tow behind my 2020 Rubicon, I have read some of the threads here and am looking for thoughts from those with experience on how this would tow.

I will of course have a WHD and a brake controller, live in the Midwest so mostly flat land for towing.

TIA

Jeep Gladiator Opinions Wanted 1615899177561

SPECIFICATIONS
Hitch Weight:
650 lb.
UVW
5063 lb.
CCC
1587 lb.
Exterior Length:
24' 10"
Exterior Height:
10' 6"
Exterior Width:
96"
Fresh Water:
54.00 gal.
Gray Water:
30.00 gal.
Black Water:
30.00 gal.
Awning Size:
17'
Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
This thing is really cool! I've been mulling the idea of a camper and this one looks great. If you don't mind divulging... what kind of prices OTD are you seeing for this? I looked and can only find one website that said MSRP 38k. I have no idea if that is a good price and how much negotiation you could expect on one. I imagine these things are still selling like crazy though given the current state we are in so that probably affects the discount we could expect.

OP
OP

Crazyboo23

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This thing is really cool! I've been mulling the idea of a camper and this one looks great. If you don't mind divulging... what kind of prices OTD are you seeing for this? I looked and can only find one website that said MSRP 38k. I have no idea if that is a good price and how much negotiation you could expect on one. I imagine these things are still selling like crazy though given the current state we are in so that probably affects the discount we could expect.
The local dealer here OTD was 26,999, so pretty good discount. It was the last one he had, I have definitely noticed some better deals when you can find them at the smaller dealers of course.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
The local dealer here OTD was 26,999, so pretty good discount. It was the last one he had, I have definitely noticed some better deals when you can find them at the smaller dealers of course.
wow that is a good deal! Is that a 2020 or 2021?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Crazyboo23

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And does it comes with the solar option?
It comes solar prepped, but it is an option to order with the solar. This dealer was unsure if he had the solar on this particular one, he had two and the other one had solar so I will find out for sure at pickup.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll throw in my 2¢ since you asked. If you're driving a Rubicon with an automatic transmission, your tongue weight maxes out at 700# and your tow limit is 7,000#. Completely empty, without any water or cargo or anything else, the specs you listed show the hitch weight on that coach to be within 50# of your max. Take into account that many TT manufacturers don't include the weight of batteries when they figure the TW on their coaches. The instant you add batteries, water, cargo, or just about anything else, you're likely going to exceed your limit just on the tongue weight.

Also consider that your JTR's maximum cargo capacity is around 1,200# or so (roughly). You have to subtract the tongue weight from that, so 1,200-650=550#. That leaves you 550# for yourself, your passengers, and anything you want to have inside the truck when you drive it. In my personal set up, I weigh about 250# and my passenger weighs about 130# ... so just those two people would take 380# from your available 550#. 550-380=170, so you'd have <170# left for everything else you might want to add inside the truck (e.g., other passengers, food, bikes, luggage, etc.)

While I agree that the trailer itself is really cool, my personal opinion is that you're looking at something that is quite literally at the edge of your truck's limits before you really add much of anything to it. Were it me, I would not be comfortable pulling that thing with a JTR. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I figure you'd rather hear someone tell you the facts than tell you, "oh, yeah, you'll be fine!" when it's not necessarily true.

I hope this helps you to make a decision.

OP
OP

Crazyboo23

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll throw in my 2¢ since you asked. If you're driving a Rubicon with an automatic transmission, your tongue weight maxes out at 700# and your tow limit is 7,000#. Completely empty, without any water or cargo or anything else, the specs you listed show the hitch weight on that coach to be within 50# of your max. Take into account that many TT manufacturers don't include the weight of batteries when they figure the TW on their coaches. The instant you add batteries, water, cargo, or just about anything else, you're likely going to exceed your limit just on the tongue weight.

Also consider that your JTR's maximum cargo capacity is around 1,200# or so (roughly). You have to subtract the tongue weight from that, so 1,200-650=550#. That leaves you 550# for yourself, your passengers, and anything you want to have inside the truck when you drive it. In my personal set up, I weigh about 250# and my passenger weighs about 130# ... so just those two people would take 380# from your available 550#. 550-380=170, so you'd have <170# left for everything else you might want to add inside the truck (e.g., other passengers, food, bikes, luggage, etc.)

While I agree that the trailer itself is really cool, my personal opinion is that you're looking at something that is quite literally at the edge of your truck's limits before you really add much of anything to it. Were it me, I would not be comfortable pulling that thing with a JTR. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I figure you'd rather hear someone tell you the facts than tell you, "oh, yeah, you'll be fine!" when it's not necessarily true.

I hope this helps you to make a decision.
I appreciate your opinion, I was of the mind that I am likely too close to the limits. What are your thoughts on this trailer with a Max Tow, my lease is up before too long and I was torn on possibly switching to get the extra capacities.

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
You are going to hear all kinds of opinions informed and uninformed.
I appreciate your opinion, I was of the mind that I am likely too close to the limits. What are your thoughts on this trailer with a Max Tow, my lease is up before too long and I was torn on possibly switching to get the extra capacities.
Keep in mind the Max tow only adds 650 pounds to the 7000 pounds tow limit of the JTR. As for tongue weight, it adds 65 pounds. Is that enough? If I hadn't towed before I'm not sure if I would want to try it. At least make sure you have a good WDH, sway control and brake controller. I find it extremely unnerving to see what people are using for tow vehicles without the proper equipment. Just watch few a youtube videos. Cheers!

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
This is from the TT I am looking at spec sheet. I just cut and pasted it.

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)

I am not looking at 20 different travel trailers, and am well concerned about the limitations of my Rubicon as anyone. Some TT manufacturers do include LP and batteries in their ratings of tongue weight and dry weights.

I don’t disagree with any of your post beyond this clarification.
Sponsored