Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Get a truck with a V8 if you want to tow travel trailers.

It's been stated many times here and in the internet in general, it's never a good idea of getting a trailer that is right at the extreme end of your vehicles tow rating. The JT is NOT a tow rig for things like travel trailers despite the stupid marketing of the Max tow package and it's dull braggarts.

It's not just the engine power, but also brakes, cooling and suspension, that make or break a towing success. In general the bigger the vehicle is towing the trailer the happier you will be. You will be way happier with a oversized rig towing a small trailer then a undersized rig trying to tow a maxed out trailer. You don't want the trailer driving the truck.

A coworker bought a TT to tow with their chevy colorado, RV guy said it would be fine, the TT is in the chevy's range (end of range)..... Long story short want to guess who just sold their colorado for a chevy silverado with a v8...............
Come out west and trying towing with a maxed out rig over our mountains..... Let me know when you warp a head from your first overheat, or when you need to get dragged out of a run away truck ramp or blown off the road from a 50 mph gust...... There is a reason why I see tons of zebra camo'd test trucks going up and down I-17 from flagstaff and Phx, and rt87 from PHX to Payson. I lived on the east coast and those hills/weather don't hold a candle to the stuff here.

Don't forget to add the weight of your trailer, all there crap you want to bring with you, your 60 gallons of water, plus the crap in your truck bed and the all the ppl in your cab. These things add up very quick and if you are pushing your max rating before adding these things, you will be overload in the blink of an eye.

The JT is a 4x4 with a truck bed, it's not a truck, I will stand by that marketing be damned.

Simple fact, go big on tow rig and have less worries, go small and count every bean, and struggle when push comes to shove.
Sigh... we have to go through this again....

The Gladiator is rated using SAE J2807 method. Which means it is PROVEN to be safe at 100% of its rated capacity.

In addition to that, many forum members here have towed travel trailers, boats, campers, enclosed trailers, etc. at max capacity with no issues.

Currently I tow a 8.5x24' enclosed trailer with a 10,000 lb. GVWR. Well, it's stamped 9,990 lbs. technically. I have somewhere around 900 lbs. of tongue weight, over 6,000 lbs. of GTW, and my rear axle rating is about 85% maxed out. I use the Centerline TS hitch and the Curt Echo brake control. The truck pulls AMAZINGLY well, handles fine even in crosswind, and cruises in overdrive all day long. I pull Kentucky hills with NO overheating whatsoever. I've towed at max capacity with the Max Tow and with the Overland EcoDiesel. Neither of them come close to overheating.

This Gladiator tows 100% as well as ANY V8 powered full size 1/2 ton truck I've owned before, which is why FCA officially rates the JT as a 1/2 ton truck. Sorry, you are dead wrong. Gladiator is more of a truck than any other truck in the segment.
Sponsored

letzrol

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer this spring, and we are asphyxiated fixated on the Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE. My current JT only has the regular towing package, so I'm fully prepared to trade it in for a Max Tow. But I am concerned about the weight of this trailer even with a Max Tow. Website stats:

UVW ~5200 lbs
Hitch Weight ~500 lbs
GVWR ~7000lbs

Best I can tell from RV forums, you roll off the dealer lot with a real UVW of about 5300 lbs and a real hitch weight of about 600 lbs. On paper, still no problem for the Max Tow, but my warm fuzzies subside when thinking more about the tongue weight.

On the RV forums, general advice is to worst-case plan for 13% of GVWR on the tongue, which would be 900 lbs--way over the 765-lb owner's manual limit for the Max Tow. We generally pack light, so I can't imagine us actually getting up to that 7000-lb GVWR in the trailer if it's 5300 lbs empty. On the forums, people report their trip-loaded tongue weight from 700 to 775 lbs, which is getting to be borderline.

It will just be my wife and I in the vehicle, so I am not concerned about payload (isn't it 1500-1600 lbs for the Max Tow?). Boondocking isn't on our radar at all, so no concern about a generator and fuel in the bed (nor weight of water in the trailer). There are a couple dozen campgrounds within a two-hour drive of us, most of which would require zero interstate travel. The most strenuous things I think we would actually do are the mountains of North GA/East TN/West NC and the Gulf (6 hrs by car).

So as the title states, I am looking for opinions on towing this with the Max Tow, which comfortably covers all parameters except maybe tongue weight. I've been through all the threads; I know there are others on here towing similarly-sized travel trailers. Of course everyone says theirs "pulls fine," but I guess I'm looking for more reassurance it'll work or solid reasoning it won't. Based on the type of trips I think we'll do most often, I am ok with the Max Tow being adequate as opposed to having way too much truck, but the last thing I would want is to go through the hassle of trading out for a Max Tow and then discovering it's inadequate.

For the record, there are folks with low-optioned F-150's that have similar payload and tow ratings to the Max Tow who are towing this trailer fine. And one guy towed his with a diesel GMC Canyon problem-free for a while. Also for the record, my wife and I both loathe full-size trucks and love the Gladiator; getting a full-size isn't an option at all.
Remember that hitch weight needs to be included in your payload math. I pull a 25ft Airstream (base weight 5,500 lbs with LP and batteries and 837 lbs hitch weight) with a BlueOx weight distribution hitch with my Gladiator Rubicon with tow package. Tows ok, but obviously not as good as the Ford F-150. I also had the dealer install the Mopar brake controller.

OP
OP
ShrimpHappens

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Remember that hitch weight needs to be included in your payload math. I pull a 25ft Airstream (base weight 5,500 lbs with LP and batteries and 837 lbs hitch weight) with a BlueOx weight distribution hitch with my Gladiator Rubicon with tow package. Tows ok, but obviously not as good as the Ford F-150. I also had the dealer install the Mopar brake controller.
Owner's manual gives 700 lbs as the max tongue weight for a Rubicon. Is that going ok?

TD3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler Sahara two door
Occupation
College baseball coach/retired police officer
My wife and I are looking at buying a travel trailer this spring, and we are asphyxiated fixated on the Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE. My current JT only has the regular towing package, so I'm fully prepared to trade it in for a Max Tow. But I am concerned about the weight of this trailer even with a Max Tow. Website stats:

UVW ~5200 lbs
Hitch Weight ~500 lbs
GVWR ~7000lbs

Best I can tell from RV forums, you roll off the dealer lot with a real UVW of about 5300 lbs and a real hitch weight of about 600 lbs. On paper, still no problem for the Max Tow, but my warm fuzzies subside when thinking more about the tongue weight.

On the RV forums, general advice is to worst-case plan for 13% of GVWR on the tongue, which would be 900 lbs--way over the 765-lb owner's manual limit for the Max Tow. We generally pack light, so I can't imagine us actually getting up to that 7000-lb GVWR in the trailer if it's 5300 lbs empty. On the forums, people report their trip-loaded tongue weight from 700 to 775 lbs, which is getting to be borderline.

It will just be my wife and I in the vehicle, so I am not concerned about payload (isn't it 1500-1600 lbs for the Max Tow?). Boondocking isn't on our radar at all, so no concern about a generator and fuel in the bed (nor weight of water in the trailer). There are a couple dozen campgrounds within a two-hour drive of us, most of which would require zero interstate travel. The most strenuous things I think we would actually do are the mountains of North GA/East TN/West NC and the Gulf (6 hrs by car).

So as the title states, I am looking for opinions on towing this with the Max Tow, which comfortably covers all parameters except maybe tongue weight. I've been through all the threads; I know there are others on here towing similarly-sized travel trailers. Of course everyone says theirs "pulls fine," but I guess I'm looking for more reassurance it'll work or solid reasoning it won't. Based on the type of trips I think we'll do most often, I am ok with the Max Tow being adequate as opposed to having way too much truck, but the last thing I would want is to go through the hassle of trading out for a Max Tow and then discovering it's inadequate.

For the record, there are folks with low-optioned F-150's that have similar payload and tow ratings to the Max Tow who are towing this trailer fine. And one guy towed his with a diesel GMC Canyon problem-free for a while. Also for the record, my wife and I both loathe full-size trucks and love the Gladiator; getting a full-size isn't an option at all.

Sponsored

TD3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

UVW ~5200 lbs
Hitch Weight ~500 lbs
GVWR ~7000lbs

I have a 2021 Rubicon gladiator a similar size trailer. It is under powered and hunts gears on inclines. at 3000 miles I had to have the rear end replaced as the axle would not unlock. Warranty covered it and I don’t know if it had anything to do with towing the trailer but I was up in the mountains off roading and tried to unlock the axle later and was unable to do so. I just keep the speeds around 60 and 65 and have had no safety issues. For me the bottom line is yes a bigger trailer would be much more comfortable towing it trailer but the reason I go is to get in the mountains and off-road and there is no other vehicle besides the GG that I would rather have in that situation. I put up with all the deficiencies so when I get to my destinations I can go Jeeping. Also have a wrangler and used to have a motorhome to pull it with and really dislike that option it.

TD3

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a 2021 Rubicon gladiator a similar size trailer. It is under powered and hunts gears on inclines. at 3000 miles I had to have the rear end replaced as the axle would not unlock. Warranty covered it and I don’t know if it had anything to do with towing the trailer but I was up in the mountains off roading and tried to unlock the axle later and was unable to do so. I just keep the speeds around 60 and 65 and have had no safety issues. For me the bottom line is yes a bigger trailer would be much more comfortable towing it trailer but the reason I go is to get in the mountains and off-road and there is no other vehicle besides the GG that I would rather have in that situation. I put up with all the deficiencies so when I get to my destinations I can go Jeeping. Also have a wrangler and used to have a motorhome to pull it with and really dislike that option it.
Didn’t proofread but you get the idea

Dhstec

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Medical

UVW ~5200 lbs
Hitch Weight ~500 lbs
GVWR ~7000lbs

Hola ShrimpHappens. You can absolutely tow to the limit with your max tow. I have done it with my travel trailer. I find that the gladiator drives better pulling a trailer as it does less wandering. That being said the side gusts can be challenging and I don’t really go farther than 100 miles from my house. I am looking at buying a Lance trailer myself. The Grand Design are nice but they are heavy. Lance is light, well built, and look nice inside and out.
https://www.lancecamper.com/

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
My personal opinion is I would get a little smaller trailer,we have a Aspen trails 1950bh it weighs 4000# it tows very well with a weight distribution hitch I do not feel in the least bit unsafe and that is towing out west in the Rockies

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
The JT is a 4x4 with a truck bed, it's not a truck, I will stand by that marketing be damned.
No one is going to point out that this is not true? The JT is JL in front and a RAM 1500 in the back, chassis wise, and a ton of engineering went into it. It handles and bakes very well for what it is with a heavy trailer. Will it zoom up hills? No. But I've towed 5-6k# hundreds of miles in the Pocono and Catskill mountains with no issues.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
No one is going to point out that this is not true? The JT is JL in front and a RAM 1500 in the back, chassis wise, and a ton of engineering went into it. It handles and bakes very well for what it is with a heavy trailer. Will it zoom up hills? No. But I've towed 5-6k# hundreds of miles in the Pocono and Catskill mountains with no issues.
Correct from the rear doors back there isn't one single part shared with Wrangler. Totally different vehicle. People who say it's just a Wrangler with a bed don't know Jeeps.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
And the likely reason no one continued that thread is the rule about feeding trolls......

Correct from the rear doors back there isn't one single part shared with Wrangler. Totally different vehicle. People who say it's just a Wrangler with a bed don't know Jeeps.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an Overland with a regular tow package, using an Echo wireless brake controller/WDH and towing a Shamrock 19 Hybrid, 4,300 lbs dry weight. The auto trans seems to want to stay at 4k RPMs and I get an average of 10MPG when towing. Do any of you with similar setup have same experience?

Lucky Gladiator.jpeg

Dhstec

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Medical
I've got an Overland with a regular tow package, using an Echo wireless brake controller/WDH and towing a Shamrock 19 Hybrid, 4,300 lbs dry weight. The auto trans seems to want to stay at 4k RPMs and I get an average of 10MPG when towing. Do any of you with similar setup have same experience?

Jeep Gladiator Seeking opinions on towing this TT with a Max Tow Lucky Gladiator
I usually use the auto/manual shift to go up a gear. Helps me to keep the engine below 3k. Not sure of the gas mileage as I don’t tow far from my house.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have a bigger trailer than that and shift manually at cruise, usually in 7th and the occasional 8th at around 2K RPMs. MPGs around 13-13.5 and I keep the RPMs at 2,500 or below. Handles my ~5,300 lb trailer just fine.
Sponsored