Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Minor update for anyone still interested. I think my drop hitch was too low. After having a buddy drive while my TT was hooked up he noticed the same squishy-ness. We tried a few different drop hitches. I had 8" drop when this all started, tried 5 1/4 then 3 1/4. 3 1/4 removed a lot of the bounce as the weight shifted back to the axle. He also said that some of the squishy-ness will come from my 35" tires on 17" rims. A lot of sidewall means more tire wiggle.

I have a controller and anti-sway. Still considering a WDH though I've gotten a lot of mixed messages. Some saying it is overkill for towing less than half max tow weight.

Have now considered to maybe go with 20" rims.
just get a wdh. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t have your best interest at heart. Overkill or not, it will help.

also…never heard about this sidewall thing. Seems like some good ol’ boy know how. And by that i mean anecdotal information. Maybe its true…maybe its not. If it is im willing to bet its a minimal difference at most.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
just get a wdh. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t have your best interest at heart. Overkill or not, it will help.

also…never heard about this sidewall thing. Seems like some good ol’ boy know how. And by that i mean anecdotal information. Maybe its true…maybe its not. If it is im willing to bet its a minimal difference at most.
The earlier comment about single axle trailers is right - they pivot on that axle very quickly in quick maneuvers and braking. The WDH takes that bounce out.

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
I may have missed this in the comments but I recently discovered that my Gladiator surges while towing at any speed, more when the trailer is loaded, and it it shakes violently when I hit around 58 mph. This only occurs while towing. My JT is a 2020 with the max tow package. I also have air bags in the rear as well as a 1/2" spacer. 285/70/17 KO2s on factory steel wheels. The trailer is a 5x10 utility trailer with a custom rack and RTT. I don't have trailer brakes yet or a WDH. Fully loaded with my RTT, awnings and ATV I believe it weighs just under 2500 pounds.

I went to the dealer yesterday and they refused to even drive the Jeep since it isn't throwing any codes. They blamed the trailer, but I've never heard of a trailer causing an engine to surge or spider like mine is doing.

IMG_20220928_151835355_HDR.jpg
Sponsored