First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
We can agree to disagree on the fan. Though I think its partly vehicle dependent.

Re coolant and oil temps - that kind of reinforces my thought that the OP has a sensor problem. 212 deg oil temp is very reasonable. Its hard to beiefe his coolant temp is 250.

Thanks.
I didn't see where the OP said his oil temp was 212 deg. The photo posted is not the OP's. I did notice the oil pressure in that pic seemed kind of low. Never seen mine below 29 psi.

Agree though that a 212 deg oil temp is fine.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see where the OP said his oil temp was 212 deg. The photo posted is not the OP's. I did notice the oil pressure in that pic seemed kind of low. Never seen mine below 29 psi.

I've never seen my OP under 30 - even when the engine temp hit about 230. Oil temp stayed reasonable and the oil pressure stayed right up there. For pressure to drop, the volume had to be not keeping up with flow - or the oil was so "thin" it was leaving the smallest of openings faster than the pump could keep up. My understanding is that it's regulated at about 31 at lower RPM - normally a pump puts out more than enough volume to exceed that pressure and the relief or regulator valve opens keeping it at the desired pressure. For it to be lower - something was less than good. The pump should put out enough volume to more than keep up - enough to open the relief or regulator valve and dump the excess. The pressure lower than 30 sort of tells me, at least in more conventional systems - the pump couldn't keep up. Oil so hot it was thin enough to get out before pressure could build. Pressure is over-simplified as pushing a volume against a resistance. Either the resistance was very low or the volume wasn't there.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my remote thermometer. I can do some serious troubleshooting with it.
I resolved overheating with one of my cars by putting a thermostat in (PO had removed it) and put in a CLEAN radiator. I checked the temp with the infrared thermometer and it read right on 190 degrees - the temp the stat was set for. I could tell how well the radiator was working by checking the temp of the coolant at the bottom of the rad - big temp drop.
I was able to diagnose a bad alternator bearing by how hot the end of the axel was.

They're fantastic..

Oh shoot. I have to go back to the beginning. If that's not the OPs. Then knowing his oil temp at the time when his coolant was at 250 would be a good thing to know.

If its 212 - bad coolant sensor.

If its 260 - real overheating problem

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Sorry op @Chrisjm209 I messed up your thread and confused some people.
The op Chrisjm209 may have a problem over heating. Me as the idiot I am and as an attempt at humor posted a pic of my temp gauge pegged. It was a freek oddity and never happened again. Not to be confused with the op question about over heating.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Just considering how I've towed 5,500lbs frequently with my lifted JT on 35"s in 118 degree heat uphill and the temp gauge barely climbs above normal - my bet is on sensor like many others have replied. Try pinging @JeepCares if you need help with the dealer. They've been awesome.

Sponsored

tumbes2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Bro 419? Youā€™d be dead. Itā€™s a sensor for sure. Call Jeep Wave not that other number. 1 (844) 533-7928. Tell them the whole story. Be nice. Tell them you want a loaner. Jeep Wave tells the dealers what to do they are on your side and fought for me twice.

Second on Jeep Wave. They have been great. They want to actually fix your issues.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Just considering how I've towed 5,500lbs frequently with my lifted JT on 35"s in 118 degree heat uphill and the temp gauge barely climbs above normal - my bet is on sensor like many others have replied. Try pinging @JeepCares if you need help with the dealer. They've been awesome.
Thanks for the tag here, RiverMtnBeach. We can certainly assist anyone experiencing concerns. Feel free to reach out to us in private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Chrisjm209

Chrisjm209

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Jeep Commander limited
Occupation
Equipment operator
Thanks for the tag here, RiverMtnBeach. We can certainly assist anyone experiencing concerns. Feel free to reach out to us in private message to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thank you I flushed the entire coolant system and replaced the radiator it seems to have worked šŸ¤žšŸ¼

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Does this look like a faulty sensor? Itā€™s been overheating on and off this week. Itā€™s with my dealer now. Monday on my drive home it got up to 267. I pulled over and shut it off. I looked under the hood and didnā€™t see anything off, no steam or any kind of heat coming off the engine. Iā€™ve been monitoring it closely and the coolant temp will fluctuate wildly, by as much as 30 or 40 degrees in any direction. Meanwhile the other temp readings are all stable.

I asked my service rep and he said just because the oil temp was fine doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not overheating.
Jeep Gladiator Overheating issues in my Mojave 015B1FF9-BF01-4958-9DE9-51889CEFBF21

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does this look like a faulty sensor? Itā€™s been overheating on and off this week. Itā€™s with my dealer now. Monday on my drive home it got up to 267. I pulled over and shut it off. I looked under the hood and didnā€™t see anything off, no steam or any kind of heat coming off the engine. Iā€™ve been monitoring it closely and the coolant temp will fluctuate wildly, by as much as 30 or 40 degrees in any direction. Meanwhile the other temp readings are all stable.

I asked my service rep and he said just because the oil temp was fine doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not overheating.
Jeep Gladiator Overheating issues in my Mojave 015B1FF9-BF01-4958-9DE9-51889CEFBF21
Yes, but often it will log that and trigger a MIL.
If you have ESS disabled, enable it again and see if it works.
If it works, it's not running too hot.
That's not the end-all or a concrete way, but one way you can tell if there's something weird going on because ESS won't work if the temperature of the engine is out of expected range.

You could also go to Menards or Harbor Freight and pick up an inexpensive infrared/remote thermometer and point it at the thermostat area of the engine. That area should run right around the setting of the thermostat.
It would be handy for you to have one anyway - at least it is for me - I use mine a LOT for all kinds of other things like checking parts of my shop's heating system and more.

Your oil and transmission temperature are fine - I'd suspect a faulty sensor. In fact, those other temps look on the cool side, not hot at all, not even close to high normal.

Sponsored

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Picked it up from my dealer. They replaced the thermostat under warranty and it seems to be working fine now. They couldnā€™t be sure if the thermostat was stuck or just miscommunicating, but no signs of leaked or spilled coolant.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave

My coolant temp pegged at 419Ā° one time for several seconds, I knew it wasn't over heating. It went back to normal right after, I put a scanner on it and didn't have any codes. It's been over a year now and haven't seen it again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My coolant temp pegged at 419Ā° one time for several seconds, I knew it wasn't over heating. It went back to normal right after, I put a scanner on it and didn't have any codes. It's been over a year now and haven't seen it again.
Wow, 419 would have burned the oil. Plastic parts would start to melt.
You knew it wasn't right because the engine didn't seize immediately.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Wow, 419 would have burned the oil. Plastic parts would start to melt.
You knew it wasn't right because the engine didn't seize immediately.
Here's the pic, it's was over a year ago. I just shut off the engine right before the pic so that's why the oil pressure is going down. Did not throw a code and never happened again. Crazy.
Jeep Gladiator Overheating issues in my Mojave IMG_20210714_123701111

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Here's the pic, it's was over a year ago. I just shut off the engine right before the pic so that's why the oil pressure is going down. Did not throw a code and never happened again. Crazy.
Jeep Gladiator Overheating issues in my Mojave IMG_20210714_123701111
There's a ghost in the machine.
Sponsored