Sponsored

Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance)

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
People like you just keep making me feel better and better about my own choice.

I assume the MOPAR 2" lift - which tires? and which disconnects for the sway bar links?
Never second guess yourself and what you feel comfortable in.

I do have the MOPAR 2". I added a 3/4" daystar to the front. I had the winch on the front of the stock lift and it added so much weight that I wanted to make sure that wasn't an issue after the lift.

My original tires were Mastercraft Courser MXT on 18" wheels. Got 52,000 miles out of them. Starting singing pretty loud around 40,000. Now I have yokohama Geolander X-AT on 17" wheels. Hybrid tires. I do a little more highway driving than I used to now.

I have the Rubicon express disconnects. There are many brands out now, but they were pretty much the only thing on the market when I bought them. But, hey have held up with no issues now for over 50,000 miles.

DV8 slim fender flares and inner fenders so I don't have fender issues when I go wheeling.

Jeep Gladiator Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance) Screenshot_20210110-184101_Facebook
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The underside of my JT looks like taco meat. I've been through two sets of wheels. I tow my 16' trailer with ATVs, I tow a boat, and I tow our RV. It's got scratches, dents, and dings from offroading.
Do you have a picture? Wondering what you mean by "taco meat?”

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on where you buy your tacos - if they are the typical American version in the states or the REAL ones from souther.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Depends on where you buy your tacos - if they are the typical American version in the states or the REAL ones from souther.
Several people have said to me "Taco Bell isn't real Mexican fare".

To which I always reply "Then why do I always see lots of Mexicans eating there every time I go?"

I'm not defending TB, just sayin'.

Anyway, there are lots of Mexican restaurants around here, mostly run by Mexicans, and the fare is kinda like Taco Bell, just better.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
The underside and skid plates aren't smooth and shiny like a steak anymore. 😂They're beat up, dented, and banged up like taco meat😭😂😂

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The underside and skid plates aren't smooth and shiny like a steak anymore. 😂They're beat up, dented, and banged up like taco meat😭😂😂
OK, years ago I dated a woman who's parents ran a Mexican restaurant. They had come from Mexico a couple of years earlier. She made me breakfast a couple of times and you wanted plenty of water to go with it, but the thing I noticed about her - and her family, they used cut up steak in the tacos and other wrapped meat food. Not ground beef like used here.

Then when I worked for state government, the east side, east of the Iowa capitol complex was heavily Hispanic. There were two Mexican restaurants there - the food was GREAT! Real stuff - they also used cut up steak. Not cubed but not quite small strips, either. There was no ground beef at all.

So when I refer to the real thing I'm thinking of small strips of steak, and no ground beef, in their enchiladas and tacos, etc. At a real Mexican restaurant run by real Mexicans who came here from down there - I've not been served "ground beef tacos".

Maybe that varies with the region - but when you said it looked like taco meet it actually reminded me of the shredded/chopped beef/steak, NOT ground, beef I got in tacos back then.
Makes sense since you drag your Jeep's belly and butt along rocks and gravel that there'd be long strips of metal hanging down LOL

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Did you add additional skid plates or underbody protection?

amadeus303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HBP JT Overland 6MT, 2023 BW JT Mojave
Late to the party, but I've been very happy so far with my Overland.

I was looking for what I "perceived" as a more comfortable ride. I was also limited to some degree as I only wanted Punk'n and since it was discontinued, I had to move quickly to grab one I liked.

I have no plans for hard core off-roading (did that with my FJ40 when I lived out west), so it should fit my needs very well (snow, light trails etc.). I also didn't need any extra height and my wife has asked me not to lift it so its easier for her to get in. Of course, a few personal updates to make it "mine" were in order.

overland 1.jpg

overland rear.jpg

The real decision on what model to get is a personal one based on many things... cost, looks, options, type of use, capabilities etc.
Although I prefer the Overland wheel, I wanted a wider and more aggressive looking tire. So, I was looking into replacement tires for the stock rim. But I ended up I grabbing a set of OEM Rubicon take-offs when they popped up 3 minutes from my house (Wildpeak 285/70R17).
No issues with rubbing with the Rubi wheels? I was always under the impression that you needed a slight lift to fit those 33s with their offset.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No issues with rubbing with the Rubi wheels? I was always under the impression that you needed a slight lift to fit those 33s with their offset.
The stock Overland tire is 32.2"
The stock Rubicon tire (the Falken A/T) is 32.8"
That's .6" TOTAL diameter difference, and only .3" difference from center of the hub to outside of the tire meaning it's only three tenths of an inch closer to the fender.
The width isn't all that much different - something like 8" vs. 11" or something like that.

The offset is the same - Rubicon vs. Overland wheels = +44 offset.
I put Rubicon wheels and tires on my JT Overland with NO other changes at all and they cleared just as well as my stock tires.

Jeep Gladiator Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance) new-tires-in-drive

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
The stock Overland tire is 32.2"
The stock Rubicon tire (the Falken A/T) is 32.8"
That's .6" TOTAL diameter difference, and only .3" difference from center of the hub to outside of the tire meaning it's only three tenths of an inch closer to the fender.
The width isn't all that much different - something like 8" vs. 11" or something like that.

The offset is the same - Rubicon vs. Overland wheels = +44 offset.
I put Rubicon wheels and tires on my JT Overland with NO other changes at all and they cleared just as well as my stock tires.

Jeep Gladiator Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance) new-tires-in-drive
Did you get the rubicon wheels and tires from the dealership? Any more pictures you can share?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get the rubicon wheels and tires from the dealership? Any more pictures you can share?
No on the dealership. The dealer I bought from doesn't do any mods and don't sell tires and wheels. I checked with another dealership that does mods and they said no because they modify Sport versions with different wheels and bigger tires, not Rubicon.
I found these on Craigslist - Omaha. That's hours away from me but I checked on a map and the seller was just about 6 blocks from where a friend lived. So my friend picked them up for me and kept them at his house until I could go over and get them.
They were taken off a JT Rubicon with about 500 miles on them.

No lift, stock springs -

Jeep Gladiator Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance) 20200122_143748_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance) 20200211_163157_HDR

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
As ShadowsPapa states, no issues with rubbing.

I bought mine off facebook (first time I did that). They had less than 300 miles on them and were about 3 miles from my house. I got lucky.

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
The rubicon is just a badge and the differences are negligible especially with a 25k price difference. Tell me, what kind of idiot climbs up the sides of rocks with a $65k jeep? Try explaining that to your insurance company when things go sideways. Not only that, how often do you "climb rocks" or the sides of mountains? Probably once every decade, and if you are "hardcore" maybe a few times a year. Does that justify the expense? Unless you are going to be towing your trailer home or trying to impress a bunch of fat guys with goatees at a jeep meetup, I just can't see justifying the price tag.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
The rubicon is just a badge and the differences are negligible especially with a 25k price difference. Tell me, what kind of idiot climbs up the sides of rocks with a $65k jeep? Try explaining that to your insurance company when things go sideways. Not only that, how often do you "climb rocks" or the sides of mountains? Probably once every decade, and if you are "hardcore" maybe a few times a year. Does that justify the expense? Unless you are going to be towing your trailer home or trying to impress a bunch of fat guys with goatees at a jeep meetup, I just can't see justifying the price tag.
Yeah, you might want to double-check them there facts, fella.

Lots of threads about the differences in features and prices between different models on this forum, so stop the BS about it being a $25k up charge for a sticker; it isn’t anywhere close the that.

And while true that not every Rubicon owner “climbs up the sides of rock”, plenty of Rubicon owners do.

But since you live in Tampa, FL I can see how it might not be the case there.

This thread is about the Overland, so let’s keep the discussion to that model rather than degrade into yet another “Rubicon isn’t worth it” thread and keep it on topic.

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Late to the party, but I've been very happy so far with my Overland.

I was looking for what I "perceived" as a more comfortable ride. I was also limited to some degree as I only wanted Punk'n and since it was discontinued, I had to move quickly to grab one I liked.

I have no plans for hard core off-roading (did that with my FJ40 when I lived out west), so it should fit my needs very well (snow, light trails etc.). I also didn't need any extra height and my wife has asked me not to lift it so its easier for her to get in. Of course, a few personal updates to make it "mine" were in order.

Jeep Gladiator Overland - I’m sure it’s been asked before (apologies in advance) 20200211_163157_HDR

The real decision on what model to get is a personal one based on many things... cost, looks, options, type of use, capabilities etc.

How did you get the override bar/ winch guard on the plastic bumper? any details? looks good
Sponsored