First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer
Several months ago I posted about my repeated problems with P026D on my Eco. The problem continues to this day despite 2 ECM replacements, a fuel pump replacement, several sensors being replaced, fuel flow at the injectors being tested (the code is for over fueling at the injectors), the body controller being updated, and the power distribution module (fuse box) being replaced. This all started around 50,000 miles and it now is at 60,000 miles. It has been to three dealerships, the first two were worthless, the third one I believe is trying hard to figure it out and they have not charged me a dime for all of this work that's been done. The first two dealerships claimed my problems were not under warranty.

It had been tripping around twenty miles after a reset but when I got it back a few weeks ago (after the majority of the work I listed was done) it made it to 520 miles, then 270 miles, then 20 miles, then 1200 miles. Now it's back to tripping every 18-22 miles.

I love the truck but I'm at my wits end. I'd jokingly say I'm going to put black tape over the light but when the light is on the remote start won't work.

Does anyone know of a place that could install a custom program on my ECM that would eliminate this problem? I know there were a few places capable before all of the emission delete crackdowns started but I am not familiar with any currently. Google comes up with a few suggestions but nothing I'm seeing as a custom program to solve nuisance codes.

P.S. the vehicle does not qualify for the Lemon Law in Georgia for several reasons.

Thanks

20240124_093719.jpg
Sorry for your trouble but I'm glad I chose the gas version rather than the diesel I was tempted to buy. Not trying to be a smart ass here, but there are just too many problems with the diesels in Jeeps today in my view. Not sure how Jeep can price these things so high with these kinds of problems. It's disappointing for those of us who are loyal to the brand. Maybe this will all change when the green restrictions are eased down the road, maybe not. Hope you find the problem soon and Jeep steps up and covers it. I think we should all be letting Jeep know our thoughts on reliability of their products today.
Sponsored

Hdog911

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Occupation
Clerk
Sorry for your trouble but I'm glad I chose the gas version rather than the diesel I was tempted to buy. Not trying to be a smart ass here, but there are just too many problems with the diesels in Jeeps today in my view. Not sure how Jeep can price these things so high with these kinds of problems. It's disappointing for those of us who are loyal to the brand. Maybe this will all change when the green restrictions are eased down the road, maybe not. Hope you find the problem soon and Jeep steps up and covers it. I think we should all be letting Jeep know our thoughts on reliability of their products today.
There's lots of ecodiesel owners with no issues. The ecodiesels without problems aren't posting as much. The only real serious issue is over the fuel pump but if you run a fuel additive then the pump is fine.

I'm tuned going 15k out of 25k miles. I would have sold this thing if I didn't tune it. The lag between throttle input and moving was borderline unsafe and the trans shifted really lazh. If you decide to tune yours I'd reccomend going using EOC and opting for their SOTF maps and also doing their trans tune. Stage 2 is +10hp more than Stage 1 and gets rid of parts of the cat and scr but Stage 1 is better for those of us on warranty. Even if you weren't having issues, I'd reccomend it because it's so much better.

Also I'd reccomend turning off DEF. I kept mine on because I can get DEF for basically nothing but it's not worth it. I accidently put DEF in my fuel tank twice. lol I know I'm an idiot. I didn't empty it either just drove and nothing broke lol. But when I drive it hard, it just guzzles through the DEF and it's a pain to keep filling it and having it leak over your jeep and clothes. On top of that the dash tell you your DEF is constantly low because your DEF miles per gallon is so bad that even when it's full the range isn't good lol. If you want to expierence it just use offroad plus mode when your on the sand somewhere and use throttle to steer. The drawback to turning it off is it's slightly harder to go to the dealer because you will have to reset the def gauge by draining the tank when you revert to stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gajep71

Gajep71

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Underwater Basket Weaving
It's finally fixed! Someone who knew how to properly diagnose the problem found erratic pressures at two injectors while driving. They swapped the injectors and the light has not returned.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
While mine is in for the Fuel pump recall I told them about the P026D. They found a crack in the turbo hose that is bringing in excessive air into the system. I will find out more details when I get it back.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
While mine is in for the Fuel pump recall I told them about the P026D. They found a crack in the turbo hose that is bringing in excessive air into the system. I will find out more details when I get it back.
I think you might wanna ask them which hose that is cracked as it doesn't makes any sense.

Sponsored

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I think you might wanna ask them which hose that is cracked as it doesn't makes any sense.
I said I will find out more when I pick it up. I was on the road when they called me.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I got it back yesterday, They found 3 slices in the charge tube, and the tech said that is the thing that he has found to be the common cause for this due to excessive swelling of the tube.

@JeepCares I don't understand why this is not covered under the drivetrain warranty. This is ridiculous considering what the cost is to get the work done for the vehicle to move.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I got it back yesterday, They found 3 slices in the charge tube, and the tech said that is the thing that he has found to be the common cause for this due to excessive swelling of the tube.

@JeepCares I don't understand why this is not covered under the drivetrain warranty. This is ridiculous considering what the cost is to get the work done for the vehicle to move.
Which charge tube?

ZeeJay

First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9 Limited ZJ, 96 4.0 Laredo ZJ, 23 JT Willys
Occupation
Diesel Tech
Glad it got resolved. To understand each injector is reading pressure individually?
Manifold pressure sensor with a low bias, fuel rail pressure sensor with a low bias, open/crack in CAC ckt, or failed fuel actuator (mechanically stuck) are the only issue to cause high fuel pressure. High fuel pressure issue isn’t the PCM compensating, compensation can only be seen with duty cycle or given value for fuel actuator and not rail pressure. Duty cycle and actual rail pressure are invaluable tools in troubleshooting chicken or the egg. Pump will always try to meet commanded fuel pressure or trim if above listed bias is high. High fuel pressure faults happen because a failure is telling PCM pressure is low so it ramps fueling to meet command. It will until PCM finally taps out knowing rail pressure is too high, but it doesn’t know why.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD

Did you noticed any lost of performance after the initial repaired were done? Like, lagging on taking off? I'm suspecting that it got damaged during the previous repair, but they aren't admitting it.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Late to the diagnosis party here…. P026D is a symptom code and usually not the underlying issue.

More fuel from an over fueling injector causes these variable geometry turbos to freak out and want to push more air. Cracks in the charge tube will create an under boost condition which is rare as the turbo piping is pretty stout.

I’m glad you caught this early and got it fixed quickly. Over fueling if not fixed can cause hot cylinders and damage pistons, piston rings, increase fuel dilution and leads to blow by. When I replaced injectors for over fueling scoping the cylinder was required to inspect the piston and cylinder wall for heat damage.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
Did you noticed any lost of performance after the initial repaired were done? Like, lagging on taking off? I'm suspecting that it got damaged during the previous repair, but they aren't admitting it.
There wasn't a previous repair. No lagging. It was all completed during the HPFP recall.
Sponsored