Sponsored

P0300

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I don't think this is correct. Pretty much everyone can remotely troubleshoot just about anything now.

Heck some blenders are online. And you are saying that one of the largest manufacturers on earth has let technology pass them by. Honestly this makes no sense.
It's definitely not correct. There has never been a tool like that accurate enough to make that strategy profitable or diagnostics techs would cease to exist. It wasn't even like that when things started going CAN around 2003 and data speeds were sufficient to get real time graphing.

What did change with CAN is that we had a scan tool that explicitly included functionality to record and send outputs to engineering for assistance. It's been 10 years since I wrenched so I'm betting at this point the tools are cellular enabled and can do it all in real time while the technician chats with the hotline.

An on-site tech can hear and feel things a remote engineer can't but if the problem shows up in the data, it's trivial to get it to them.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
All this sounds like the stars are aligned.

Now, if you all wait a week, I'll tell you how it all really works. I'm a 30 year it guy.

Hint: aliens

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely not correct. There has never been a tool like that accurate enough to make that strategy profitable or diagnostics techs would cease to exist. It wasn't even like that when things started going CAN around 2003 and data speeds were sufficient to get real time graphing.

What did change with CAN is that we had a scan tool that explicitly included functionality to record and send outputs to engineering for assistance. It's been 10 years since I wrenched so I'm betting at this point the tools are cellular enabled and can do it all in real time while the technician chats with the hotline.

An on-site tech can hear and feel things a remote engineer can't but if the problem shows up in the data, it's trivial to get it to them.
True all.
All that the PCM can tell about is what it knows, sensor info, readings, etc. but a mechanical malfunction is a bit different. So there's a misfire code - these run on the edge as it is, you know how many different things can cause a misfire - including a spark plug issue - will the report know about that? Is there something reading the voltage required to jump the gap initially and then the voltage that maintains the spark, or the duration of the spark? I can tell that on a scope - can these read that information? Worn cam lobe - there are ways I could diagnose that, can the truck's "computer" tell anyone that?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All this sounds like the stars are aligned.

Now, if you all wait a week, I'll tell you how it all really works. I'm a 30 year it guy.

Hint: aliens
OK, who's talking on your HAM radio now and what's in that glass?
ALF! He uses HAM radio.
Or are you referring to the aliens who make these computers in China?

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
The ones that are too short to effectively troubleshoot a jeep.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator P0300 thread_cannot_be_saved_by_kittens

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
True all.
All that the PCM can tell about is what it knows, sensor info, readings, etc. but a mechanical malfunction is a bit different. So there's a misfire code - these run on the edge as it is, you know how many different things can cause a misfire - including a spark plug issue - will the report know about that? Is there something reading the voltage required to jump the gap initially and then the voltage that maintains the spark, or the duration of the spark? I can tell that on a scope - can these read that information? Worn cam lobe - there are ways I could diagnose that, can the truck's "computer" tell anyone that?
Honestly with how things were looking when I quit, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all in there... I'm sure at this point they can see individual spark voltages when they trigger and see tiny little deviations in other readings as the truck misses.

Still, P0300 is a multi and was typically something mechanical or something shared like a coil pack or rail issue. I'm just glad I'm not dealing with this shit anymore.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This thread went sideways with " i know what is wrong but my lawyer won't let me say" . Why would you knowing the cause of the multiple misfire issue affect any litigation you may have with FCA? I'm calling BS!
If you have followed the numerous discussions over at the misfire survey thread you will see that not one single JT had a correlation with the misfire and cruise.
If you can't share what you know you are a troll with a ill advised lawyer.
Prove me wrong.

OP
OP

Brokenteck50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Master mechanic
I don't think this is correct. Pretty much everyone can remotely troubleshoot just about anything now.

Heck some blenders are online. And you are saying that one of the largest manufacturers on earth has let technology pass them by. Honestly this makes no sense.
What if the engineer request a voltage drop test on a ground wire to a O2 sensor and the tech doesn't perform the voltage drop test correctly and tells the engineers there is no resistance when in fact the is resistance, would not all the diagnostics from that point be flawed, the technology is better but somebody has to touch the vehicle, you can diagnose many problems remotely but not all

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Cruise control can definitely trigger a multiple misfire code. The culprit in my opinion is the throttle body air flow model. At high loads under light throttle the control oscillates quite a bit. Cruise lives in this space and on top of that it is another control. From the data I have gathered the throttle body gets into a pretty high frequency osscilation like jamming your foot on and off the throttle 30 times a second. This air flow caused some detenation which os then made worse by the timing being reduced to fight load knock that is not there. I currently have a revision of my calibration that gets into pretty intense throttle oscillation issues. I am using it to study the situation. My guess is fca knows the issue but the fix is not simple with the current software architecture. The throttle control does not have enough strategy to account for all operating conditions.

OP
OP

Brokenteck50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Master mechanic
This thread went sideways with " i know what is wrong but my lawyer won't let me say" . Why would you knowing the cause of the multiple misfire issue affect any litigation you may have with FCA? I'm calling BS!
If you have followed the numerous discussions over at the misfire survey thread you will see that not one single JT had a correlation with the misfire and cruise.
If you can't share what you know you are a troll with a ill advised lawyer.
Prove me wrong.
I believe the motor should not gone to 6300rpm for over a minute, I was unable to shut down the cruise system, maybe the timing chain and the phasers can handle that kind of rpm but until i hear an engineer tell me that's normal I will stick to my guns, and yes I spelt tech wrong, when I get done with the legal crap I will post all work orders so I can point out to you where thier mistakes are and why after 4 months they can't figure out what the problem is

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What if the engineer request a voltage drop test on a ground wire to a O2 sensor and the tech doesn't perform the voltage drop test correctly and tells the engineers there is no resistance when in fact the is resistance, would not all the diagnostics from that point be flawed, the technology is better but somebody has to touch the vehicle, you can diagnose many problems remotely but not all
So... what does this have to do with cruise control and the P0300 code?? I thinks many of us can agree that the "technicians " that work at dealers are not mechanics of the past, but you are claiming you know how to correct this issue plaguing many but give no proof and then posting a thread asking why they don't have a fix yet. Can you see where this is going?

OP
OP

Brokenteck50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Master mechanic
I was warned by another member about trolls - guess I'm in the habit of feeding them! LOL

A tech that can't spell tech............ and the crazy attorney reference, wow, should have seen that one coming. That, or a former tech got a bit into the eggnog
Very funny im assuming I'm anonymous here so I guess it is ok to discuss

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Cruise control can definitely trigger a multiple misfire code. The culprit in my opinion is the throttle body air flow model. At high loads under light throttle the control oscillates quite a bit. Cruise lives in this space and on top of that it is another control. From the data I have gathered the throttle body gets into a pretty high frequency osscilation like jamming your foot on and off the throttle 30 times a second. This air flow caused some detenation which os then made worse by the timing being reduced to fight load knock that is not there. I currently have a revision of my calibration that gets into pretty intense throttle oscillation issues. I am using it to study the situation. My guess is fca knows the issue but the fix is not simple with the current software architecture. The throttle control does not have enough strategy to account for all operating conditions.
My light is triggered under no load with it just idling in my driveway. This is how it has occurred every time. Never once on the road, so how does your theory explain this?
Sponsored