First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
ICU nurse
Pa is it he only state that it is still illegal to ride without doors. A new bill has been introduced in the pa house to change that. Bill# 298. If you live in pa write your election officials and let them know to vote yes. This way I can justify spending $150 for some cool foot rests!!
Sponsored

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
Pa is it he only state that it is still illegal to ride without doors. A new bill has been introduced in the pa house to change that. Bill# 298. If you live in pa write your election officials and let them know to vote yes. This way I can justify spending $150 for some cool foot rests!!
I had no idea that it's illegal here. Geez!

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Fingers crossed this time. Bills like this have been referred to transportation before and just died off.

I tried to give a nudge to the process after getting ticketed for it back in the day.

https://chng.it/L2bHvnh9Gj

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I also didn't know it was illegal to run without doors. Haven't taken mine off, ever, in the 3 1/2 years I've had her anyway so...

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
I haven't take the doors off of my JT, but used to have a JT and a YJ before that and rarely had the doors on either one. I guess ignorance is bliss!

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Yep. It’s not enforced a lot But if you do get pulled over there is no fighting it
That's not 100% true. If your vehicle isn't registered in PA there is a very niche potential defense against it. Not a bulletproof defense, but enough to be worth an attempt in court (definitely wont work with the cop writing the ticket i'd wager). For example I live in NJ and drive into Philly and sometimes Doylestown for work. I drive a NJ registered gladiator. If i ever got pulled over, I'd show up to court and cite the supreme court ruling from Bibb v. Navajo Freight Lines, Inc which roughly states that it's unrealistic to expect vehicles engaged in commerce to make equipment changes at the border to adhere to state specific safety regulations.

Now does commuting to work count as commerce? For most people not really, but technically I'm work from home and the office I drive into in Philly is actually my customer's office and therefore classified as a sales call and not a commute.

I don't look forward to ever testing this legal theory out but luckily Philly cops don't do shit because the DA doesn't prosecute anything outside of major crimes.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
If I remember correctly, a vehicle designed to have the doors removed can be inspected that way in Pa.

Sponsored

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If I remember correctly, a vehicle designed to have the doors removed can be inspected that way in Pa.
Unfortunately, it’s the inspection law that is used to write the ticket. Inspection code 175.77(F).
Jeep Gladiator Pa doors off bill 6BD74619-A885-47D0-91F1-8A4E11A49892

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
I lived in PA and drove top and doors off for years in my 71 CJ-5. I kept a copy of Inspection code 175.77(F) with my registration. The official wording is " Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. " I used that second sentence on a couple occasions to get out of a ticket.

mfm76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
UPS Tractor trailer driver
I'm all for this. Current PA law requires that a vehicle equipped with doors from the manufacturer must have doors, but it doesn't apply to vehicles registered out of the state. That's a big reason that many municipalities don't enforce it, especially around the state borders where it is most likely to encounter out of state vehicles. Most cops will cite it as a secondary offense (i.e. - "since I stopped you for speeding I'm also giving you a ticket for no doors") or as an excuse to stop a vehicle if they want to check for something else like suspected alcohol impairment.

Another comment also mentioned taking this to Bronco owners. The more people that get involved the more likely we are to finally get the bill passed.