Payload seems a little low...

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
New to the forum, and not totally committed to a Gladiator. I started a thread in the "Overland" pages, but it didn't get any traction, and still have a bunch of questions.

It looks like the absolute MAX payload is 1600 lbs, on the Sport, and that doesn't even have lockers as an option. My wife and I both just retired, and are planning an overland vehicle to tour a couple of continents for a year or 2. My Ford is 16 years old, and I want something a little shorter, narrower, and more nimble. But a Colorado, Ranger, or especially Taco are even smaller than a Gladiator.
But even though it's the "Goldilocks" size, I'm struggling to imagine an overland build that stays under the max 1600 lbs payload. I've seen a couple of overland builds, on other vehicles, where they replaced the springs and shocks/struts, and I don't know what else, but at some point it just makes more sense to buy a 3/4 ton and drive it.

How much weight are you carrying, in which model, and how much does it struggle?

Can I add ARB or other lockers to the Dana 44?

If I lift it, can I get heavier springs and shocks?

Is there any auxiliary fuel tank that will fit in the spare tire area? Moving the spare to a bumper mount? (my F150 has 35 gallons, for a 550+ mile range)
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You can just buy a Rubicon and put Max Tow rear springs in it, and then you have lockers, and Rubicon options, and Max Tow payload and progressive rear springs for towing or handling weight.

The Rubicon front spring swap, and Rubicon Fox shocks swap is very common for people to do to Max Tow Gladiators. They keep the rear Max Tow springs, but swap the fronts with Rubicon springs and put the stock Rubicon Fox shocks on all 4 corners. Folks say it's night & day better offroad and on-road.

Several aftermarket companies offer progressive springs with their lifts. For example, EVO and Clayton both use progressive rate coils in their lift kits. I wouldn't recommend more than about 2.5" of lift and 37's if you're planning on towing anything at all. And even then, with all that weight you'd be toting around overloading, you might would still want to re-gear to 4.88's.

OP
OP

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
Several aftermarket companies offer progressive springs with their lifts. For example, EVO and Clayton both use progressive rate coils in their lift kits. I wouldn't recommend more than about 2.5" of lift and 37's if you're planning on towing anything at all. And even then, with all that weight you'd be toting around overloading, you might would still want to re-gear to 4.88's.
Thanks a bunch! I don't intend to go bigger than 35, if that. Thinking 2 to 2-1/2 inch lift and 33-34. There are so many countries in South America where having the tires sticking out past the fenders at all is highly illegal. If you can get into the country at all, you will be constantly harassed by the police and military. They'll tell you to pay their $20 bribe, or get a $70 ticket, and the next one will do the same! But I DO want a little more ground clearance, and hauling capacity!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a bunch! I don't intend to go bigger than 35, if that. Thinking 2 to 2-1/2 inch lift and 33-34. There are so many countries in South America where having the tires sticking out past the fenders at all is highly illegal. If you can get into the country at all, you will be constantly harassed by the police and military. They'll tell you to pay their $20 bribe, or get a $70 ticket, and the next one will do the same! But I DO want a little more ground clearance, and hauling capacity!
Then I’d go Rubicon, and then install a set of Max Tow rear springs, and toss a set of 1.5” front coil spacers under it, and some 35x12.50r17 Kumho Road Venture MT71 tires on your stock Rubicon wheels, and call it good. :like:

@Discount Tire is a forum sponsor here. They can get you a good deal on the tires and install.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
A Rubicon with either transmission, Max Tow with the 8AT, and Sport S with the 6MT all have the exact same 6,250lb GVWR on the door panel. The difference is 100% in the standard equipment and the Rubicon comes with a bunch of other gear like rails, steel skid, steel rear bumper, and heavier tires that detract from its "rated" payload. If you put similar parts on a Sport S you'd very likely have similar capacity remaining.

In the end, "payload" is simply GVWR minus actual curb weight and whether or not you are in excess of GVWR is all that matters. I too worry about payload because we head up to Canada every now and then and they're much less friendly about GVWR violations than the US where there's almost no penalties for light trucks. I'd imagine other countries might have similar issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
In the end, "payload" is simply GVWR minus actual curb weight and whether or not you are in excess of GVWR is all that matters. I too worry about payload because we head up to Canada every now and then and they're much less friendly about GVWR violations than the US where there's almost no penalties for light trucks. I'd imagine other countries might have similar issues.
I was assuming a higher GVWR, but what you're saying sure makes sense. Steel bumpers, skid plates, Rock sliders. It all adds up! I've never been checked in Canada, but that's with limited time and mileage there. A lot of people don't know how easy our rules are here in the USA. In a lot of places, they will just impound your vehicle, for a variety of reasons, and it costs big bucks for impound fees and to get it "fixed" there. Dumping "essential" gear at a border crossing isn't part of my plan.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was assuming a higher GVWR, but what you're saying sure makes sense. Steel bumpers, skid plates, Rock sliders. It all adds up! I've never been checked in Canada, but that's with limited time and mileage there. A lot of people don't know how easy our rules are here in the USA. In a lot of places, they will just impound your vehicle, for a variety of reasons, and it costs big bucks for impound fees and to get it "fixed" there. Dumping "essential" gear at a border crossing isn't part of my plan.
Actually the Rubicon and Max Tow have higher payload and tow numbers than all the other models. Rubicon is 7,000 lbs. tow, Max Tow is 7,650.

And if you order the Rubicon with the factory Class-IV Tow Package, you get the heavy-duty engine cooling that the Max Tow has.

OP
OP

JustKip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Nope
Actually the Rubicon and Max Tow have higher payload and tow numbers than all the other models. Rubicon is 7,000 lbs. tow, Max Tow is 7,650.

And if you order the Rubicon with the factory Class-IV Tow Package, you get the heavy-duty engine cooling that the Max Tow has.
Rubicon payload is 1300. Sport (Max Tow) is 1600. Both are 50 lbs less with auto trans. There's probably a similar difference in curb weight. I have no idea why there's a 650 lb difference in tow capacity (7000 vs 7650). That's twice the difference in curb weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon payload is 1300. Sport (Max Tow) is 1600. Both are 50 lbs less with auto trans. There's probably a similar difference in curb weight. I have no idea why there's a 650 lb difference in tow capacity (7000 vs 7650). That's twice the difference in curb weight
They CLAIM it's because of the added "weight" of the Rubicon accessories...Which I think is total load of bullshit, same with the tow rating difference. I'd say they're both fine at 7,650. My guess is they rated them differently for marketing, because you can't call something Max Tow, if the Rubicon had an equal tow rating...Because who would buy a Max Tow for a few grand less, when you could buy a Rubicon with the same ratings PLUS all the Rubicon stuff, for only a couple grand more... The Max Tows would be sitting on the lots collecting dust.

So for BS marketing purposes, they had to claim one was better for towing, so they added slightly stiffer progressive rear springs, and fudged the numbers lower on the Rubicon. That way they all have their little niche' that they fit into. It's marketing 101 stuff. You see it A LOT in the firearms industry, especially for the last 20 years.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the truth hurts some folks... :like:

Sponsored

Demo_slug

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
Vehicle Showcase
Are max tow springs really that special? I swapped them out when I lifted. Should I sell them?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Are max tow springs really that special? I swapped them out when I lifted. Should I sell them?
They're progressive and higher rate than the others to be able to handle that tongue weight better. You're not getting anything crazy for them but I'm sure you'd find someone with a non max-tow Sport who tows or overlandy Rubicon who would buy.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Your right on staying with smaller tires not just for the "tickets" but also easier to find the 33" tires in some areas. Steel wheels also actually are not a bad idea, you can beat them back into useable shape and weld them if cracked. Every Gladiator coming off the line usually has a steel spare rim, that a lot of guys going big get rid of cheap, just saying. Sounds like a great way to kick off retirement, ENJOY! ......Jack

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
There's definitely people who have setups and trailers that do what you are looking for. Trail Recon channel on YT sometimes pulls a trailer and he and his buddies have some well built overlanding Gladiators. And they do it with the 3.6 and upgraded gear ratios. So I would imagine the diesel will be totally fine doing the same. Now the question of whether you like how it drives built up like that is entirely personal. But it's hard to get a gauge of what the end product will be until you have the end product.

There's going to be tradeoffs in everything. Bigger trucks will haul more but maybe too big for what you want. Up to you and your needs to figure out where those lines are. Best of luck, sounds like a lot of fun!
Sponsored