Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Who has had or keeps having a issue with people stealing their valve stem covers. Seems like when I got just the common black ones no one bothers but when I got the nice ones with the green tips within a few months someone takes one. Ticks me off
Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Discount Tires replaced my wive's chrome/greens with cheap plastic ones when they repaired her tires. I assumed it was because the green implies nitrogen filled and hers weren't anymore. No charge for the repair, so we still came out ahead.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had anyone take my valve stem caps. Whenever I take a flat to Discount Tire, I always remove the caps ahead of time. In the past, they were really bad about getting my caps back on, so I take them off and then swap mine for whatever they put on. The last flat repair was done at Sam's Club, at no charge. I got my green cap back. He even asked me about it, since they don't have nitrogen there.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've added after market "fancy" valve caps and within a few days one or more always disappear... So what ever cap is on them I leave alone, and replace when missing. I try to keep a few spare caps in vehicle.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Buy a set of these. The lanyard screws onto the stem, so it takes more than just a quick couple turns to remove one--it takes about 10 turns. And, when airing up/down, they don't get lost. When you have a leaky valve core, they don't allow the tire to lose pressure through the stem. Just ensure that Discount transfers them when you replace your tires. ;-)

https://www.quadratec.com/products/15156_201.htm

By the way, the warning about not using with TPMS sensors is because most TPMS sensors are made with aluminum. The ones above will cause galvanic corrosion. These below are plastic. But for a JT, we have brass valve stems, so either will work fine.

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/no-loss-plastic-tire-caps-5-pack/

Last edited:

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
On my F150 I previously had shiny metal caps that had hex nut flats on them. I think they disappeared when I parked at the airport. Some people suck. Not worth the battle so I just run black plastic cheapies.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up just picking up some more of the same ones with the green tips. Only 99 cents for 4, I mean is worth taking some when they are literally that cheap.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yep ... I gave up on fancy caps and just run the black cheap ones. They are a dime a dozen and I was getting tired of loosing one out of four caps. In my case I don't believe they were ever stolen ... simply one not being tightened enough and off she goes.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yep ... I gave up on fancy caps and just run the black cheap ones. They are a dime a dozen and I was getting tired of loosing one out of four caps. In my case I don't believe they were ever stolen ... simply one not being tightened enough and off she goes.

I'd like to think that they just are coming off like that but I checked them right after I had the tires installed and haven't messed with them since. Also it only seemed to happen on my old JK and the JT. My Mustangs and BMWs I own seem to never loose them. Go figure

pat11784

First Name
patrck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 RUBICON LJ, 18 4RUNNER, 17 ZL1 CAMARO, 13 EXPRESS 3500
LOL, many years ago I lived a garden apartment complex and somebody stole the chrome caps from my lightning, the next day I happened to see 2 little kids bent down by my H1 clearly perplexed about the lack of valve stems to steal. They gave me back my valve stem caps and I hooked up with one of their moms. Good times.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
LOL, many years ago I lived a garden apartment complex and somebody stole the chrome caps from my lightning, the next day I happened to see 2 little kids bent down by my H1 clearly perplexed about the lack of valve stems to steal. They gave me back my valve stem caps and I hooked up with one of their moms. Good times.
sounds like an even trade lol
Sponsored