First Name
Nikolai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Pardon my complete lack of knowledge here as I just bought my 21 Gladiator Rubicon but I'm trying to figure out which bumper package I have.

I assumed that the set was the stock plastic bumper kit as the front felt plastic when examining it but then when I got to the rear bumper I noticed that it seemed to be pretty much steel with plastic attached to it. It has steel tube that wraps slightly around each side.

So I double checked the front bumper and reached my hand around the back side of the front bumper it feels like what is a cross steel section wedged between the inner and outer decorative plastic cowl.

Is it safe to assume that this is the plastic kit with the minimal structural steel components? I would think for the price the OEM steel kit is that there would be little to no plastic components.

Ill grab pics tomorrow if that helps identify.
Sponsored

Tuna

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys diesel, 2016 JKU
you've got the plastic bumpers. The steel OEM bumpers are full steel.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Rubicon rear bumpers are also steel, Mojave and other trims have plastic rear bumpers.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Here's a breakdown:

Rubicon: gets steel rear bumper standard, front is a standard plastic bumper but can be ordered with the optional steel front bumper. If it's steel it'll have a bunch of bolt heads sticking out of it and the left right side wings are removable.

All other trims get plastic front and rear bumpers EXCEPT the sport/sport s freedom edition that gets the steel front and rear bumpers.

OEM steel bumper shown in pic, note the bolt heads.

JDA_Mopar_Full_Rubicon_Steel_Bumper_01_JL_12112.0140.jpg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Plastic -

Jeep Gladiator Plastic vs Steel OEM Bumper 20230208_143435_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Plastic vs Steel OEM Bumper 20201013_155411_HDR

Steel -

Jeep Gladiator Plastic vs Steel OEM Bumper 20220829_104700

OP
OP

ballnm

First Name
Nikolai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Awesome.

The front is definitely plastic then. The steel rear bumper is it fairly solid? Wondering if it's worth replacing or it's more a cosmetic reasoning that people replace the rear bumper?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome.

The front is definitely plastic then. The steel rear bumper is it fairly solid? Wondering if it's worth replacing or it's more a cosmetic reasoning that people replace the rear bumper?
Only you can decide if you want to replace it.
What's the typical use for your JT?
Will it see a lot of truly hard trails and rocks?
Or will it be like logging roads and more mud and muck and driving through the woods?
To some it's a "cool" "looks tough" thing - replaced because it's looking good on the internet, peer likes and so on. For others, they bang the heck out of these on rough trails, and are trying to make things more damage resistant and in some cases, more streamlined to get through tough spots in the rocks and ravines.
For basic trails - I can't see a "need" to replace the rear bumper. If I could find one locally and cheap, I'd replace my Overland "plastic" rear bumper with a Rubicon rear.
(Personally, I think most aftermarket rear bumpers for these are butt-ugly, but that's just me)
Not a fan of the "i built it in my farm shop with a torch and stick welder using scraps laying around" look too many of them have - a blacksmith designed and built it, not for me.
Again, that's me.
Are tougher rear bumpers really needed? I'd bet for half of those sold and installed - not necessary - just a guess, but it sure makes the JT look tougher, less like a street truck - and jeep people tend to hate that look with a passion.

So - how will YOU use YOUR truck??
I use mine like a truck, it's a tow vehicle and a daily driver. As a truck - I want it to have tougher bumpers (and because Iowans drive like, well, Iowans)

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
To add to the above, keep in mind steel bumpers typically add weight, so if you prioritize payload/towing capacity you'll sacrifice some of it. Heavy bumpers/accessories can also cause your suspension to sag a bit; mine dropped about an inch when I added the OEM front steel bumper, winch plate, and winch so I added some front spring spacers to compensate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To add to the above, keep in mind steel bumpers typically add weight, so if you prioritize payload/towing capacity you'll sacrifice some of it. Heavy bumpers/accessories can also cause your suspension to sag a bit; mine dropped about an inch when I added the OEM front steel bumper, winch plate, and winch so I added some front spring spacers to compensate.
↑↑↑

Sponsored

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Replaced my plastic bumpers with steel.
The front is Mopar's off road bumper and the rear is Rubicon steel.

20231116_082005.jpg

OP
OP

ballnm

First Name
Nikolai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Only you can decide if you want to replace it.
What's the typical use for your JT?
Will it see a lot of truly hard trails and rocks?
Or will it be like logging roads and more mud and muck and driving through the woods?
To some it's a "cool" "looks tough" thing - replaced because it's looking good on the internet, peer likes and so on. For others, they bang the heck out of these on rough trails, and are trying to make things more damage resistant and in some cases, more streamlined to get through tough spots in the rocks and ravines.
For basic trails - I can't see a "need" to replace the rear bumper. If I could find one locally and cheap, I'd replace my Overland "plastic" rear bumper with a Rubicon rear.
(Personally, I think most aftermarket rear bumpers for these are butt-ugly, but that's just me)
Not a fan of the "i built it in my farm shop with a torch and stick welder using scraps laying around" look too many of them have - a blacksmith designed and built it, not for me.
Again, that's me.
Are tougher rear bumpers really needed? I'd bet for half of those sold and installed - not necessary - just a guess, but it sure makes the JT look tougher, less like a street truck - and jeep people tend to hate that look with a passion.

So - how will YOU use YOUR truck??
I use mine like a truck, it's a tow vehicle and a daily driver. As a truck - I want it to have tougher bumpers (and because Iowans drive like, well, Iowans)
Yeah, mine is basically a daily driver and tow vehicle. I needed mid size pickup and wanted something I could trail with as well as handle the third world streets we have in my Milwaukee. I've literally seen a sink hole open up and swallow a car on more than one occasion.

Reason for asking about the bumper is that we have a severe reckless driving issue in Milwaukee. So more concerned from a safety/damage prevention aspect in case of when someone backs in to me or hits me while they are doing the Milwaukee Slide in a stolen Kia. I do expect I will get up North and run trails once or twice per year.

Used to own a 1974 FJ40 but am fairly new to Jeeps. Guess when it came time to pick a vehicle nostalgia got the best of me. But so far love the truck.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Replaced my plastic bumpers with steel.
The front is Mopar's off road bumper and the rear is Rubicon steel.

20231116_082005.jpg
I really like that Mopar Performance front bumper , looks more finished then the bolt together version and is narrower then the steel or plastic bumpers, if you don’t take off the ends. Plus front shackle mounts are nice.
Your Jeep looks great!…..Jack👍🏻

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I really like that Mopar Performance front bumper , looks more finished then the bolt together version and is narrower then the steel or plastic bumpers, if you don’t take off the ends. Plus front shackle mounts are nice.
Your Jeep looks great!…..Jack👍🏻
Thanks
The sucker is heavy plus it comes with Mopar's 10 year corrosion warranty.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
Yeah, mine is basically a daily driver and tow vehicle. I needed mid size pickup and wanted something I could trail with as well as handle the third world streets we have in my Milwaukee. I've literally seen a sink hole open up and swallow a car on more than one occasion.

Reason for asking about the bumper is that we have a severe reckless driving issue in Milwaukee. So more concerned from a safety/damage prevention aspect in case of when someone backs in to me or hits me while they are doing the Milwaukee Slide in a stolen Kia. I do expect I will get up North and run trails once or twice per year.

Used to own a 1974 FJ40 but am fairly new to Jeeps. Guess when it came time to pick a vehicle nostalgia got the best of me. But so far love the truck.
In my eyes, it's sometimes better to have a bumper that's going to flex and absorb damage in minor impacts. If you have a stout steel bumper that's mounted to your frame, if the hit is severe enough it can also cause the impact damage to the frame which can end up being more costly and harder to fix. Besides, if they hit you, it's their insurance replacing whatever bumper you have (or your uninsured driver insurance kicks in), so I wouldn't be concerned about minor impacts.

If you end up damaging the OEM plastic one and need a replacement, keep an eye on local marketplaces (Facebook especially), people sell them all the time for cheap or free.
Sponsored