First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
At the end of the day today, was told the pump will be warrantied. This of course, is always good to hear. They found a pump 1.5 hours north in their warehouse. This is also amazing news after being told by two sources, there’s no pumps in Canada.
I can confirm by the TSB photos provided by @Lunentucker above, I didn’t have the glue or weld spatter problem on that ground point and because there was no sparks when reattaching the ground wire to that post, there had to be an internal electrical short in the pump.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day today, was told the pump will be warrantied. This of course, is always good to hear. They found a pump 1.5 hours north in their warehouse. This is also amazing news after being told by two sources, there’s no pumps in Canada.
I can confirm by the TSB photos provided by @Lunentucker above, I didn’t have the glue or weld spatter problem on that ground point and because there was no sparks when reattaching the ground wire to that post, there had to be an internal electrical short in the pump.
No spark doesn't mean anything because the pump motor isn't on when connecting it. It comes on with a command from the bus. I'd expect no spark.
The pump shouldn't be a drain.

In other words, lack of spark only proved a pump that's not draining the batteries when at rest. It's OFF. I'd see lack of spark as a good thing - and proof of nothing as far as ground.

Further -
A ground can be bad for a high current circuit but still be enough for electronics, so had it sparked, it would only prove that it's sort of ok, not good, not bad.
Even a nearly dead battery will "spark" when reconnected.
A ground could allow the electronics to work but not allow a high current pump to work.

Summary - ignore the fact it didn't spark or did spark. That's a really poor test of a ground.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
UPDATE: pump installed and finished. TECH NOTES:

TECH INSPECTED CODES AND FOUND NONE PERTAINING TO EHPS SYSTEM. TECH THEN REQUIRED APPROVAL FROM ADVISOR FOR EXTRA DIAGNOSIS TO REMOVE CUSTOMERS OWN WIRING ALL OVER PDC AS TECH STATES PDC HAD TO BE REMOVED DUE TO TSB WHERE RETAINING CLIP COMES LOOSE. TECH THEN GOT GO AHEAD FROM ADVISOR FOR 2 EXTRA HOURS OF DIAGNOSTIC. TECH REMOVED PDC AND FOUND THAT RETAINING CLIP WAS IN CORRECT POSITION AND NO CIRCUIT OPENS FOUND. TECH REINSTALLED PDC AND TESTED ALL COMPONENTS OF EHPS CIRCUIT. TECH FIRST TESTED POWER AND GROUND TO EHPS PUMP AND FOUND 12.4V TECH THEN REMOVED INTERIOR COMPONENTS TO GAIN ACCESS TO STAR CONNECTOR AND TESTED CONTINUITY OF CAN C TO EPHS PUMP AND BOTH TESTED GOOD AT 0.8 OHMS. TECH THEN TESTED CAN C SHORT TOGETHER AND FOUND NO SHORT. TECH THEN CHECKED FOR CAN C SHORT TO GROUND AND FOUND NO CONTINUITY WITH GROUND ON EITHER CIRCUIT. TECH THEN CHECKED FOR IGNITION POWER AT WAKE UP SIGNAL AND FOUND FULL 12.4 VOLTS WITH IGNITION ON. CONFIRMED WITH SHOP FOREMAN ALL CIRCUITS GOOD AND NEEDS EPHS PUMP.
TECH STATES CUSTOMER MAY HAVE THOUGHT FUSE 34 WAS POWER TO EHPS PUMP, THIS IS A FUSE FROM IGNITION RELAY TO SIGNAL A WAKEUP CALL TO EPHS MODUEL AND IS NOT RELATED TO POWER SUPPLY TO PUMP.
REPLACE EPHS PUMP UNDER PARTS WARRANTY.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
MAY HAVE THOUGHT FUSE 34 WAS POWER TO EHPS PUMP, THIS IS A FUSE FROM IGNITION RELAY TO SIGNAL A WAKEUP CALL TO EPHS MODUEL AND IS NOT RELATED TO POWER SUPPLY TO PUMP.
Very true - those small fuses have nothing to do with power to the pump, that's N6.
F34 doesn't power the pump. Way too tiny.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Gladiator is fine, it's me that's falling apart with no warranty.
If he has another pump failure, some tech needs to actually start thinking and not following charts on a screen.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
My Gladiator is fine, it's me that's falling apart with no warranty.
If he has another pump failure, some tech needs to actually start thinking and not following charts on a screen.
Exactly what I've been thinking. Something isn't right here. The odds of receiving 3 bad pumps must be astronomical. My money is on a bad install or something else is causing the pumps to fail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
All the steering linkages passed inspection. There is as at least 1500 kms of strong arm steering between 2nd and 3rd pump failures. I’m sure glad those held up.
Sponsored