Sponsored

Powerstation to use with bed outlet (Jackery, etc)

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
The Jackery, and others like it, can handle passthru but this will quickly reduce the lifespan of the device. I have a Jackery 240 and use it for my Alpicool C35 but try to limit the passthru as much as possible. I have the fridge running off the 12V ACC and only if I stop over 30 minutes will I plug it in to the Jackery.
If you have the AUX switches you can run direct power to a 12V outlet with a supplied wire under the dash. I will go with this option once I add a dual battery system.
What would degrade quicker from pass thru activity? Never read this anywhere else, so trying to understand.
Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
What would degrade quicker from pass thru activity? Never read this anywhere else, so trying to understand.
I would assume the charge and discharge cycle. I'm not certain if it's a true passthrough or it's simply running of the battery and being recharged at the same time.

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
It generates heat so it could lead to overheating or more likely cause the battery to lose capacity more quickly because of the constant charging and discharging.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
It generates heat so it could lead to overheating or more likely cause the battery to lose capacity more quickly because of the constant charging and discharging.
I could see that..... Also storing it in the truck in our area where it gets hot would be bad too.

I did notice my 1500's fan was running when plugged in even though the battery was 100% charged. Probably didn't like the interior temp of the truck.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My fridge and probably most fridge auto switch to ac power when both ac and dc are plugged in. It'll switch back to DC when the engine is off. This was how I ran my fridge on memorial day weekend trip with my bluetti.

Sponsored

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Where is the inverter for the rear outlet? If you have an extra battery, you can wire it to the feed of the inverter. Include a switch to disconnect the battery when you like? The battery will charge when your engine is running. Make the battery removable and include a quick disconnect.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the inverter for the rear outlet? If you have an extra battery, you can wire it to the feed of the inverter. Include a switch to disconnect the battery when you like? The battery will charge when your engine is running. Make the battery removable and include a quick disconnect.
The factory installed inverter is under the steering wheel in the cab.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
The factory installed inverter is under the steering wheel in the cab.
Would a small battery fit under the seat or somewhere, under the rear seat, or under the dash? You could wire it into the inverter input and mount a switch in the positive line to isolate the battery. You need to find out at what DC voltage the inverter shuts down. You don't want to ruin the battery.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Would a small battery fit under the seat or somewhere, under the rear seat, or under the dash? You could wire it into the inverter input and mount a switch in the positive line to isolate the battery. You need to find out at what DC voltage the inverter shuts down. You don't want to ruin the battery.
The factory installed inverter is only 400 watts total. It feeds one outlet in the cab. It also feeds the outlet in the bed, if you pay the extra money for it to be installed. The factory inverter only operates when the truck is on, so there is no low voltage shut-down protection.
Sponsored