Sponsored

Pro's/Con's putting Rubicon Suspension on an Overland

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
NOT ignoring you brother, I had to work today, and I think @Ole Cowboy and @WXman pretty much hit it before I could sit and type.
I would think adding the Rubi Fox suspension would firm everything up perfectly.
I know @steffen707 did a lot of homework on this before he bought my OEM Rubi/FOX suspension to do this setup on his.
Well I tried to do a lot of homework, but not much was available. In the end I just took the plunge and said oh well. Now I gotta read about these leveling kits and what all that business is.
Sponsored

Reactions: JP1
OP
OP
JT614

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate everyone's insights! I came across some comparison info that is helpful too, that should parallel to the JT.
https://www.shocksurplus.com/blogs/news/jeep-wrangler-jl-suspension-overview

Looks like the main difference per the JT manual is the Rubi's hydraulic rebound stop. From the website:

The Hydraulic Rebound Stop within the main shock absorber body, is attached to the working piston. If the rebound stroke of the shock (extension cycle) achieves max travel, the internal Hydraulic Rebound Stop will then act as an internal shock absorber for the working piston.

What does all this mean for the ride in a Wrangler JL Rubicon?
Going overbumps, rocks, and other obstacles will be a more forgiving ride. As the shock rebounds from being compressed on an obstacle, any maxxing out the droop or extension of the shock will be dampened first by the internal bumpstop before transferring that energy to the vehicle, and then the passenger.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
While I think grabbing the Rubicon take-off stuff is a great, inexpensive option... I would not pay a premium, especially for the springs. I plan to put dual-rate or multi-rate springs on at some point as it results in a much more connected feel. My Wrangler Sport with Metalcloak springs feels a ton better than any Rubicon JK/JL/JT I've driven. If they will come out with a shorter spring that works with the fox shocks then that's great, otherwise I'll have to have a lift and different shocks.

As far as the difference... as "they're just better" is vague.

Springs hold your vehicle up, or push it up when it gets compressed.

Shocks slow down the push-down. You can have different pressure and gas/oil in shocks that help with this control. The Rubicon Fox shocks are tuned for the Gladiator and those springs and will have smoother movement over bumps. Probably they'll be less prone to friction when doing too much travel... so they'll last longer and work better under stress. Fox seems to be the go-to for all factory provided performance shocks these days.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
While I think grabbing the Rubicon take-off stuff is a great, inexpensive option... I would not pay a premium, especially for the springs. I plan to put dual-rate or multi-rate springs on at some point as it results in a much more connected feel. My Wrangler Sport with Metalcloak springs feels a ton better than any Rubicon JK/JL/JT I've driven. If they will come out with a shorter spring that works with the fox shocks then that's great, otherwise I'll have to have a lift and different shocks.

As far as the difference... as "they're just better" is vague.

Springs hold your vehicle up, or push it up when it gets compressed.

Shocks slow down the push-down. You can have different pressure and gas/oil in shocks that help with this control. The Rubicon Fox shocks are tuned for the Gladiator and those springs and will have smoother movement over bumps. Probably they'll be less prone to friction when doing too much travel... so they'll last longer and work better under stress. Fox seems to be the go-to for all factory provided performance shocks these days.
Screw all that . . . just call up the dude at Teraflex or Icon or . . . any of the 'Reputable Dudes' and get the all important reaffirmation (we all look for) -- "shit yea we can do that, and it will be awesome, you'll love it !" Seriously though, once you get "approval," even if it's "just" from your local FCA/Jeep Dealer using a MOPAR kit . . . it will be Fine . And if it's Mopar, it will also be under Warrantee - some peace of mind ! Not the best or most expensive, but you'll have that all important Peace of Mind . . . now repeat after me -- Peace of Mind . . . AHHHH, now I can sleep comfortably knowing I have Peace of Mind . Steph ? You Listening to this advice ? :whew: :whew: :whew: :clap: ;)

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Well I tried to do a lot of homework, but not much was available. In the end I just took the plunge and said oh well. Now I gotta read about these leveling kits and what all that business is.
Bear in mind that pick ups often have a rake in front. When you tow or have a full bed the rear will come down, the rake keeps it even under load. Unlike the rake on a Wrangler, it is functional on a pickup.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Bear in mind that pick ups often have a rake in front. When you tow or have a full bed the rear will come down, the rake keeps it even under load. Unlike the rake on a Wrangler, it is functional on a pickup.
the wranglers have rake stock? any reason for that? towing 3500lbs?

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
I have done a lot of wheeling in Wranglers and don't see where the rake or leveling kit has any affect on performance, seems simply cosmetic. Other considerations with a pickup. I am getting the max tow package, I will be towing a camper one of these days

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Screw all that . . . just call up the dude at Teraflex or Icon or . . . any of the 'Reputable Dudes' and get the all important reaffirmation (we all look for) -- "shit yea we can do that, and it will be awesome, you'll love it !" Seriously though, once you get "approval," even if it's "just" from your local FCA/Jeep Dealer using a MOPAR kit . . . it will be Fine . And if it's Mopar, it will also be under Warrantee - some peace of mind ! Not the best or most expensive, but you'll have that all important Peace of Mind . . . now repeat after me -- Peace of Mind . . . AHHHH, now I can sleep comfortably knowing I have Peace of Mind . Steph ? You Listening to this advice ? :whew: :whew: :whew: :clap: ;)
holychit
MARK THE CALENDARS!
TODAY, I agreed with Lou. :LOL:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate everyone's insights! I came across some comparison info that is helpful too, that should parallel to the JT.
https://www.shocksurplus.com/blogs/news/jeep-wrangler-jl-suspension-overview

Looks like the main difference per the JT manual is the Rubi's hydraulic rebound stop. From the website:

The Hydraulic Rebound Stop within the main shock absorber body, is attached to the working piston. If the rebound stroke of the shock (extension cycle) achieves max travel, the internal Hydraulic Rebound Stop will then act as an internal shock absorber for the working piston.

What does all this mean for the ride in a Wrangler JL Rubicon?
Going overbumps, rocks, and other obstacles will be a more forgiving ride. As the shock rebounds from being compressed on an obstacle, any maxxing out the droop or extension of the shock will be dampened first by the internal bumpstop before transferring that energy to the vehicle, and then the passenger.
sounds like I need to do some wheeling on the sport s, then ride with a rubicon owner and see if I swap it or sell it.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's also handy during the Fall . . . leaf removal . . . just slowly drive in either concentric circles or in rows if you prefer ! Now you may take that advice WITH a grain of salt .

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
holychit
MARK THE CALENDARS!
TODAY, I agreed with Lou. :LOL:
HEY @JP1 . . . my dream finally came true . . . "common Ground . . . it does exist ! ! ! holychit indeed ! ! ! :CWL: :like: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
It's also handy during the Fall . . . leaf removal . . . just slowly drive in either concentric circles or in rows if you prefer ! Now you may take that advice WITH a grain of salt .
Damn...how heavy are those leaves :)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I found someone trying to unload their Rubicon suspension takeoffs for $300. That price seems to be in line with Rubicon takeoffs in the Wrangler market, but a little cheaper for a Gladiator. They say these only have 200 miles on them, so even with some exaggeration on the "newness," I'm probably looking at components with less than 1,000 miles.
It only has 2 of the 4 sway bar links, and doesn't include the 2 front isolators. Any idea if the Overland already has isolators that will work with these components, or will I have to buy a pair? How much would it cost for the 2 shorter sway bar links?
2019-08-26.png

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I found someone trying to unload their Rubicon suspension takeoffs for $300. That price seems to be in line with Rubicon takeoffs in the Wrangler market, but a little cheaper for a Gladiator. They say these only have 200 miles on them, so even with some exaggeration on the "newness," I'm probably looking at components with less than 1,000 miles.
It only has 2 of the 4 sway bar links, and doesn't include the 2 front isolators. Any idea if the Overland already has isolators that will work with these components, or will I have to buy a pair? How much would it cost for the 2 shorter sway bar links?
2019-08-26.png
Overland has those isolators
Sponsored