First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
I’m looking at buying a new (or used if I find one equipped the way I want) Gladiator and I had a few questions

1. is the 8.4 radio and Alpine worth the money over the 7 inch screen?

2. Does the 8.4 do anything the 7 inch doesn’t except navigation

3. Can you do navigation with apple CarPlay over the 7 inch

4. how much does the hardtop weigh? Could a big guy remove the top by himself without too much trouble?

5. would it be insane to get only the premium soft top in a colder weather state (Illinois)

6. It seems the dealerships around me have ordered all their stock without the LED headlights. Is there a reasonably priced option to upgrade to LEDs if I find a jeep that has everything I want but the LEDs?

7. Is there any way to get the 4.10 gears without going to a Rubi/Mojave? Max tow doesn’t seem to be an option on the Jeep site anymore. I’d like to be prepped for a move to a 34 inch tire
Sponsored

eyekode

First Name
Salem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, WRX, Miata, Sienna
Occupation
Software dev
I have only used the 7". It works fine for car play and android auto. But it is a little cramped for car play in particular. Doesn't bother me though.

Hardtop is large and awkward. I have not removed mine but I would want help or a custom lift for it in my garage.

Max tow is a great option value wise. I highly recommend it. Note max tow is only available on sport and sport s. I just checked and it is still there.

Good luck!

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
I have only used the 7". It works fine for car play and android auto. But it is a little cramped for car play in particular. Doesn't bother me though.

Hardtop is large and awkward. I have not removed mine but I would want help or a custom lift for it in my garage.

Max tow is a great option value wise. I highly recommend it. Note max tow is only available on sport and sport s. I just checked and it is still there.

Good luck!
That’s why I can’t find max tow. I’ve been building 80th anniversaries and Willys. I’d like a little more options than the sport provides

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
To answer a couple of your questions..

3. Yes Apple car play works with the 7” screen. I decided not to get the 8.4” screen that my wife has on her GC because I didn’t want to pay to upgrade the nav periodically.

4. Yes a big guy could but it is bulky and hard to handle. I would suggest a lift of some sort.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
5. would it be insane to get only the premium soft top in a colder weather state (Illinois)
The number of JL/JTs I see around here with softops in this weather is insane. No idea how bad it actually may be - but at least you wouldn't be the only one.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I’m looking at buying a new (or used if I find one equipped the way I want) Gladiator and I had a few questions

4. how much does the hardtop weigh? Could a big guy remove the top by himself without too much trouble?

6. It seems the dealerships around me have ordered all their stock without the LED headlights. Is there a reasonably priced option to upgrade to LEDs if I find a jeep that has everything I want but the LEDs?

7. Is there any way to get the 4.10 gears without going to a Rubi/Mojave? Max tow doesn’t seem to be an option on the Jeep site anymore. I’d like to be prepped for a move to a 34 inch tire

1. IMO yes it is worth it. If you are an audiophile then it might not be up to your tastes.

2. Navigation and offroad pages are missing on the 7".

3. Yes, but apple carplay is cramped as stated earlier.

4. Don't know the direct weight. Being a small guy (5'8" 165ish) i can take it off myself although it is a bit sketchy. Someone bigger will have an easier time.

5. I think so. In Jersey I prefer my hardtop over softtop.

6. You can purchase LED lights to install, or go to a mopar wholesaler and purchase the factory options.

7. I just checked and Max Tow package is still available on the Sport S.

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity

Personally I think yes. Fills the dash a lot more, larger for CarPlay/buttons.
Yes, adds SOS/Emergency Buttons, Sirius Guardian, extra speakers, off road pages, auto A/C

Yes

4. how much does the hardtop weigh? Could a big guy remove the top by himself without too much trouble? Cant say on this one. seen videos of it solo-ed though. Maybe just above average fitness level?

Personally I think yes. With no hard top you get no defrost back window.

6. It seems the dealerships around me have ordered all their stock without the LED headlights. Is there a reasonably priced option to upgrade to LEDs if I find a jeep that has everything I want but the LEDs? yes

Max tow is only available on Sport or Sport S, it's still there.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 pesos:

1. It is a matter of personal opinion. I have the 8.4” and love it
5. Yes, it would be insane. You won’t be able to see through the rear curtain in the rain, let alone anything more severe. Also, people tend to forget the lack of security of the soft top

6. My Jeep came with halogens; it cost me quite a bit more to replace the headlamps and DRLs with Mopars than the factory price of the entire LED Group

7. You don’t need to regear for 34” tires. The new 8-speed automatic can comfortably handle up to 35” tires

smorris18

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S MT (on order)
Occupation
Business Owner
I don’t have my Gladiator yet, so I hope you don’t mind me giving my opinion based on what I have ordered and researched myself.

I ordered the Uconnect 8.4 with Alpine. Pretty much for the reason eyekode said. More screen real estate for Car play and other things. I don’t care about the navigation because of my options on car play.

As far as the Alpine system, there are many opinions. And from what I’ve gathered it’s a decent sound system with enough volume to have the top off. But if your an audiophile it’s probably not gonna please you. I used to work in car stereo in my younger years so I kind of know what to expect. But I’m ok with it. I may over time decide to do some upgrades.

I read somewhere on this forum the top weighs about 75 lbs. that could have been an opinion so don’t hold me to that.

I have seen where some people only run a soft top and have no issue. They say it’s made with great material and will last a long time. However, I would consider it’s going to be louder and less insulation. I ordered both tops, so I plan to run hard top in winter and soft top the whole time in nicer weather. Will you be keeping it in your garage? I think that would be a big factor to consider if your only going soft top.

I ordered a Sport S with Max Tow and just about every option you can get (including LEDs). Not sure what the issue is with the website. If your considering ordering, which I highly recommend to get what you want, then contact a good dealer. They should help you to get the Max Tow with a Sport or Sport S. I’m not sure if you’ve researched but the Sport models with the 3.6 gas engine have the best towing capability over all the trims. Even over the Rubicon and the diesel option.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
7. You don’t need to regear for 34” tires. The new 8-speed automatic can comfortably handle up to 35” tires
I have the 3.73 gears and 34" tires, and I agree with this. My effective ratio is 3.53, which is still better than the JLUS I came from. You'll certainly lose some steam on the highway, but the transmission downshifts and it's not a big deal. The weight of the wheel and tire combo is also going to be a factor, but generally speaking, you can live with this setup without a regear.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard

I have a 7" in my Rubi and it's all I need, but I do believe there are some options in the 8.4 that give more vehicle info and control. Navigation with carplay is nice because it is always updated. Built-in navigation will always be out of date even with updates that you pay for. I have removed my hardtop myself. It is awkward, but manageable. I would never only get the soft top. In fact, it is very ugly on the JT. The roof line is higher than the hard top because of the support frame and it has a weird termination at the rear that just looks off. I take my doors off and the freedom panels off all the time, but have only removed the rear once...you just don't need the rear off to enjoy going naked in a JT. My guess is the local stock doesn't have LEDs because of your climate. LED headlights will not melt snow. GET A RUBI!

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
GET A RUBI!
Besides the 4.10's which are available on multiple models, there is nothing in @King Nothing's post to suggest any desire or need for the equipment that a more expensive Rubicon would have. Curious as to why you are so emphatic about this?

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

Yes. Other mods/options can be added easily as you free up capital (e.g. the class IV hitch). Replacing a core component of the infrastructure, not so much. Alpine maybe not, but the 8.4" screen.

It makes it far easier to manipulate whilst driving. Using Android Auto make it super clear and easy.

Dunno.

It's theoretically possible. However, I think the hand-cranked winch in a garage is the best way to go.

Yes. As an Illinoisan who was driving today, yes. Unless you don't plan on driving it from December-April.

Buy from Spirit Lake in IA. Or at least get pricing from them and walk in to your local dealer with the exact options you want, to spec, with a good price to see if they'll match. The closest dealer to me came in $500 high as their best and final, which I prolly would have taken if I hadn't already made arrangements.

I went Rubi. If Mojave was A) out and B) didn't have the issues with aftermarket, I would have gone Mojave. Suspension parts and upgrades that are from the factory and warrantied made the decision for me.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Besides the 4.10's which are available on multiple models, there is nothing in @King Nothing's post to suggest any desire or need for the equipment that a more expensive Rubicon would have. Curious as to why you are so emphatic about this?
Relax, it was mostly in jest and most Rubi owners are just partial to them...most will never need their capability, but some do and regret it and spend a lot of money to try to replicate the lockers and disconnects. But thanks for calling me out in my post, your opinion and moderating is invaluable in this forum

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher

The 7" radio works great. The speakers sound as good as any other car that I have had. With that said I am not a big music guy so the sound out of the system sounds good to me. As far as the big screen; the 7" is a big upgrade from what I came from so I'm good with it.
I do not have the 8.4 so I do not want to say, but I am curious what's the big deal with navigation when we all can put up Google Maps on the 7" screen.
Yes, you can go Google Maps or Apple Maps, I believe you can even do Waze, I don't have Waze so I'm not completely sure.
The Hard Top is light enough to lift, but it's big an awkward and I would not recommend lifting it off the Gladiator alone. You can get a garage lift for the top for as little as $150. I bought the Hoist a Top, it's 4 ropes and a pulley. I wish I would have spent the $300 and got the Lange with the frame that takes the top off. Either way 1 person can remove the top easily once those are installed.
You will have to brush the snow off the top. If you get a lot of wet heavy snow I do believe it can stretch out the fabric over time. The twill is a very nice heavy duty top, but it is not made to handle weight.
LEDs depends on why you want them. Do you want them for the looks or how much brighter they are. If for looks the stock LEDs are ok, but at $1K you may find that you can get after market lights that you like better. In fact I would suggest after market because Oracle and other companies are working on a heating element for their LEDs lenses. With the factory LEDs people have complained about snow and ice building up on them. Also, the LED package only includes headlights, fogs and the fender lights, it does not include the tail lights. If all your after is functionality, there is a thread on this forum that lists LED bulbs to replace all of your factory bulbs. They are bright and a lot of people have done the modification. All bulbs for the entire truck including the tail lights and reverse lights is about $100 and enough people have done it. I have cut and pasted the link to the thread for the bulbs. If its not clickable just copy and paste into your browser.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/led-bulb-replacement-it-works.19953/

Max tow for the Sport or Sports S has the 4.10

I hope this helps you. If you are ordering make sure you're getting around 6% under invoice. Many people on the forum have purchased their Gladiators from Upton Motors in Tennessee for that price. At a minimum you should be getting at least $1K below invoice, if you don't want to travel to get the Gladiator.
Sponsored