Sponsored

Prospective buyer with some questions

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Those that have had the 8.4's a while, what is Sirius Guardian/Uconnect app costing you a month after the trial is over?
It looks like its $20-25 per month if you want the remote lock/unlock/start.
Are you getting any breaks on it?
Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I have about the opposite to say for the nav and app auto-start. The nav to me is top notch and 1 of the best systems out there I've used. Takes a minute to boot but is fairly responsive and accurate. The app can help provide some piece of mind too. If you're out of reach with your key and not sure if you locked it, send a lock cmd and be done, no matter how far away. Same with remote start. I work in the city and my old garage was about 2 city blocks away and it would turn on just fine (may have problems with reception blocked in some concrete jungles. While you said most of those features are "neat" (and they are), sometimes they are what makes a huge difference in an otherwise bleh dayl
I think one reason why the app doesn't work at times and is sloooow is that I am NOT in a city.
I live in the boonies and my work is another 15 miles further out.

In rural areas the maps kind of suck too. Numerous roads don't really exist.
Not sure why but Google maps seems to ignore these.
The latest Garmin based stuff trys to route on them a lot.
I worked with Garmin a few years ago about this and I have "better" maps for rural use on my standalone units.
I dont know how or if I can put these on the 8.4 system and don't see a way to have multiple map sets on it like I can on my standalones.

For the life of me I have yet to get the Nav to give me what I am asking for using the voice commands. Some of the stuff it comes up with just frustrates the hell out of me.
It seems to only be good at finding things in a few mile radius to where you are.
Most of the time either my wife has to punch something in, or I have to stop and do it.

The default zoom level on this thing is also awful (ie zoomed in too much), and does not seem to have Zoom out/zoom in voice commands. It also wont "hold" a zoomed out screen. This might be OK in urban areas, but you cant see anything but the immediate road you are on most of the time out here.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I think one reason why the app doesn't work at times and is sloooow is that I am NOT in a city.

I worked with Garmin a few years ago about this and I have "better" maps for rural use on my standalone units.
I dont know how or if I can put these on the 8.4 system and don't see a way to have multiple map sets on it like I can on my standalones.

For the life of me I have yet to get the Nav to give me what I am asking for using the voice commands. Some of the stuff it comes up with just frustrates the hell out of me.
It seems to only be good at finding things in a few mile radius to where you are.
Most of the time either my wife has to punch something in, or I have to stop and do it.

The default zoom level on this thing is also awful (ie zoomed in too much), and does not seem to have Zoom out/zoom in voice commands. It also wont "hold" a zoomed out screen. This might be OK in urban areas, but you cant see anything but the immediate road you are on most of the time out here.
I run with the map overlay over the radio, and the zoom I have on the regular maps carries over to the overlay.
I've found the UConnect map has some roads/that aren't on Google.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S

I gotcha. Was just trying to contrast my experience with yours for OP so they can have more to think about. Good to know the background of your issues with it though.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
For what?

8.4 also gives you the full screen backup camera. The 7-in has black bars on each side.
Ah sorry ... for the install of the sub, when going from 7.0 to 8.4 radios in the JT?

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

GladiatorNate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Video Producer
Regarding upgrading to the 8.4 from the 7" - you'll gain most of the features of the 8.4, just not the Sirius Travel Link and Uconnect phone app for remote control of the Jeep (as far as I know). I got 8.4" from Infotainment.com.

I had the Premium Audio package, just with the 7" radio, so I already had the subwoofer. I'm not sure about the process to add that, might be better off going aftermarket. The 8.4" was worth the upgrade for me. I noticed better performance when using it, faster touch screen responsiveness, quicker phone connectivity, etc. The Nav is nice to have, even though I still prefer Google Maps on Android Auto.

For the OP, if you're unsure which route to go, test drive a Jeep with the 7" and the 8.4" and dig into the radios. Only you can tell if it's worth it for you!

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
1. is the 8.4 radio and Alpine worth the money over the 7 inch screen?

2. Does the 8.4 do anything the 7 inch doesn’t except navigation

3. Can you do navigation with apple CarPlay over the 7 inch

4. how much does the hardtop weigh? Could a big guy remove the top by himself without too much trouble?

5. would it be insane to get only the premium soft top in a colder weather state (Illinois)

6. It seems the dealerships around me have ordered all their stock without the LED headlights. Is there a reasonably priced option to upgrade to LEDs if I find a jeep that has everything I want but the LEDs?

7. Is there any way to get the 4.10 gears without going to a Rubi/Mojave? Max tow doesn’t seem to be an option on the Jeep site anymore. I’d like to be prepped for a move to a 34 inch tire
1. No
2. Yes, more independent control of stereo tuning, depending on options also has off road pages, and some other small details. However, with 7" you still get pitch /roll etc off road info on dash behind the steering wheel by selecting it in the options regardless of stereo choice. I personally opted for the 7" but would get the 5" and go aftermarket if I could get a do over.
3. Yes
4. Too much
5. No. Hardtop has some extra insulation but not much. Primary benefit is wind noise and reducing theft or vandalism of a soft top.
6. I went with v.2 LED bulb replacement and it is great. There are better LED bulb swap ins. The price of Mopar or aftermarket full headlight assembly replacement is absurd, the $700 difference between drop ins and the whole assembly isn't worth a tiny bump in performance.
7. ? I'm not sure about this one.

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Thanks EVERYONE for all the responses. Ended up buying a 21 Granite Crystal Metallic Max Tow without the 8.4/alpine or the LEDs that I wanted. I’ll address the LEDs aftermarket and decide whether to upgrade to the Stinger stereo after using the 7 inch radio for a while. Wife really wants a touchscreen in her JKU so maybe I’ll let her be the guinea pig for the stinger if she doesn’t convince me she needs a JL
Sponsored