Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
The numbers are still being tallied.

Tacoma is normally the segment leader with 240,000 units, followed by GM and Ford with 100,000 to 120,000 units each.

Ridgeline normally sells a steady 50,000 units, although I have been hearing that sales have been inching up.

I can't remember where Frontier sales sit.
Google was giving about 80K for the ranger no? I had a 2017 4runner trail and can't fathom why people keep buying these really dated Toyota trucks at these numbers
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Google was giving about 80K for the ranger no? I had a 2017 4runner trail and can't fathom why people keep buying these really dated Toyota trucks at these numbers
I can't defend anyone buying a Tacoma. I bought one and sold it after six months. The assembly quality and ride comfort were top notch, but the motor and automatic transmission were atrocious, the driving position gave me cramps, and the navigation looked like it was developed by Atari.

We will have to wait to see the final figures. Ranger sales had closed in on GM from what I recall.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
It is a niche truck at a high price. I can't imagine they expected to do more than 80k a year. I would bet they are happy with these numbers. On top of that, I would guess sales will slowly rise too. I think this kind of vehicle needs some time to prove itself to a lot of people. There are a lot of people that know nothing about it. We have all experienced that with our Gladiators. People have no idea what we are driving around. People always have questions about it.

You're not going to see a fleet of these for a pool company, yard maintenance, or pest control company. It will always remain in the niche for the most part.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Nobody predicted a pandemic. So all the projections can be dismissed as meaningless. This 77K reflects sales of models produced, price lowered to move units, basically clearing the lot. They predefined a niche and filled it as they imagined. Nothing more here. Very conservative marketing. Maybe in this year ahead we will see a bubble in one model or another, a price point, something that strains production. Until then, this is same as the the guy on the corner with a great hot dog, who only makes twenty and charges a high price, and sells out what he makes. Meanwhile the competition will sell more lesser hotdogs at a lower price on the other side of the street...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I cannot imagine FCA is very happy with those numbers. That plant was producing 200,000 to 240,000 JKs per year before retooling.

Now FCA is sitting on a combined plant capacity of 500,000 units (300,000 JLs + 200,000 JTs) that barely produce 287,000 units.
If you understand how the auto industry works and factor the pandemic shutdowns, I think they are thrilled with these numbers. First, dealer inventory for the Wrangler is way below what it was a year ago, so that means that if you didn't have the shutdown, the numbers would be close. Take the pandemic out of the equation and I'd bet sales would be about 250k for Wrangler alone.

Plus, another pandemic problem is with suppliers being able to keep you up and running. Jeep did one helluva job working with suppliers to achieve the numbers they did. It could have been much lower, even if demand stayed the same.

We also need to see the numbers for the industry as a whole.

I think they are popping champaign just because they didn't only survive, but they made huge profits. Stimulus checks are out now, so they will be getting a bump soon with those, I'm sure.

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
First couple bullet points and I'm assuming FCA has a good year....then scroll down and see the actual numbers....

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you understand how the auto industry works and factor the pandemic shutdowns, I think they are thrilled with these numbers. First, dealer inventory for the Wrangler is way below what it was a year ago, so that means that if you didn't have the shutdown, the numbers would be close. Take the pandemic out of the equation and I'd bet sales would be about 250k for Wrangler alone.

Plus, another pandemic problem is with suppliers being able to keep you up and running. Jeep did one helluva job working with suppliers to achieve the numbers they did. It could have been much lower, even if demand stayed the same.

We also need to see the numbers for the industry as a whole.

I think they are popping champaign just because they didn't only survive, but they made huge profits. Stimulus checks are out now, so they will be getting a bump soon with those, I'm sure.
Here are some preliminary numbers:

Year-over-year:

• Industry is down 14.3% --Ford still has to report
  • FCA was down 17.5% --Jeep was down 14%
  • Winners: Tesla up 20%, Volvo up 2%, Mazda down 0.2%, Hyundai-Kia down 7.6%, Toyota down 11%, GM, VW and Subaru down 12%
  • Losers: Nissan down 33%, Mitsubishi down 27%, BMW down 18%, FCA down 17.5%, Honda down 16%
Ford, Daimler, Jaguar-Land Rover are still to report.

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
The shutdown earlier this year does not explain these sales numbers. The entire industry had one of its strongest second halves ever, but FCA didn't gain from it to the same extent as its competitors.

JT 's natural sales level appears to be 80,000/year. Steep pricing is obviously part of the constraint. Perhaps that explains why most JT models have been on "Employee Pricing" through much of Q4.
I believe "the entire industry" is not having one of its strongest second halves. The industry has rebounded well from the early-year pandemic freeze and is selling vehicles with higher prices and, thus, profits, but is overall down from last year. At least that is what is being reported so far by manufacturers. GM's 4Q sales are up 4.8% while Honda is down 8.9% in 4th quarter. Toyota is up 9.4% while Nissan is down over 19%. Hyundai/Kia are flat. Ford reports sales tomorrow.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
In 2020, new vehicle sales fell to a 40 year low (per capita) industry wide according to multiple auto sites. That explains a lot.

Given that data, Jeep should be fairly pleased with the numbers especially for the Gladiator.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Anyone know how Q4 Gladiator compares to Colorado/Canyon, Taco, or Ranger?
Whatever their numbers are, they lost 1 for my JT as I almost signed for a Colorado after test driving a Ranger, ran the numbers, and contacted Toyota to get pricing on a Tacoma. Never heard a peep back from Toyota. The Ford guy told me he's a straight shooter who doesn't waste time and he'll give me the best numbers upfront. He didn't.

They didn't have the Colorado i want. Got the Colorado spec'ed to my needs after a test drive, and the manager found the exact one I wanted for me but he didn't call me back for 5 days after he promised he would.

In the meantime, I got lost driving in a new area, saw a CDJR dealer, went in and came out with a Gladiator.

Oh... now the Toyota dealer is calling me back.

If all I wanted was just another truck, I would have bought one... I bought the Gladiator because it is not "another truck"
Exactly. I'm so happy with my JT.

You're not going to see a fleet of these for a pool company, yard maintenance, or pest control company. It will always remain in the niche for the most part.
I'm sure Umbrella Corporation will adopt these if Raccoon PD doesn't use it for S.T.A.R.S.

Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
interestingly enough, several high end landscaping companies use them in my area, and they buy Mojave’s and rubicon’s, they seem to like the branding image.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I find the "heroic" efforts by the dealers mentioned in the article kinda funny. I think what really happened is a lot of people who wanted a Gladiator walked away after dealers refused to eliminate ridiculous markups or offer a reasonable discount. When Pandemicland broke out, dealers were forced to eliminate markups and offer discounts. Then, surprise, people started buying Gladiators.

KYGlad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I find the "heroic" efforts by the dealers mentioned in the article kinda funny. I think what really happened is a lot of people who wanted a Gladiator walked away after dealers refused to eliminate ridiculous markups or offer a reasonable discount. When Pandemicland broke out, dealers were forced to eliminate markups and offer discounts. Then, surprise, people started buying Gladiators.
Yeah, I noticed the "heroic" effort too and laughed. I didn't know dealerships were so dangerous, and that selling cars/trucks to people who wanted to buy cars/trucks, required great bravery.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
And those fools at motorbuscuit claim it was bombing. What fools.....

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, I noticed the "heroic" effort too and laughed. I didn't know dealerships were so dangerous, and that selling cars/trucks to people who wanted to buy cars/trucks, required great bravery.
You haven't dealt with some of the crazy "costumers" I've seen...
Sponsored