Question about 35” tires

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
I just watched a video on Youtube and it says you gain about 3” more space from top of tire to underside of fender by removing the inner front Fender. I was planning on getting 35s and doing a 1.5” leveling kit, but now that I see this fender “chop” option, I’m wondering if that might be a little more useful for flex than the leveling kit.

Can anybody elaborate on whether I am on to something? I’m aware that with the chop you have to get new inner fender/engine bay liners,, turn signals, and brackets for the fenders which is overall significantly more expensive than a 1.5” leveling kit. But I feel that the 35s would look better overall with this rather than with the level kit.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
35s with 2” Mopar lift

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
An inner fender liner, also known as a fender liner, is a plastic barrier between the fender and the engine that comes installed in most modern cars. Its job is to block dirt, mud, water, and other impurities from seeping into the engine bay and causing corrosion and harm. It also helps protect wiring and other components inside the wheel well from corrosion
so can you remove them? Sure! Only problem is... if you're fitting larger tires to actually offroad then you're just opening your engine up to even more water and mud.

Removing them sounds like a mall-crawler move to me.

Sponsored

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
With a 2 inch lift you will still need track bars front and rear. You will need wheels with 0 off set or spacers. Do it right one time, the first time.

Sponsored

JT4FUN

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
US Space Force
35s with 2” Mopar lift
I just watched a video on Youtube and it says you gain about 3” more space from top of tire to underside of fender by removing the inner front Fender. I was planning on getting 35s and doing a 1.5” leveling kit, but now that I see this fender “chop” option, I’m wondering if that might be a little more useful for flex than the leveling kit.

Can anybody elaborate on whether I am on to something? I’m aware that with the chop you have to get new inner fender/engine bay liners,, turn signals, and brackets for the fenders which is overall significantly more expensive than a 1.5” leveling kit. But I feel that the 35s would look better overall with this rather than with the level kit.
Thanks!
I know you didn’t ask about 37’s but thought I’d add this just for reference.
Just picked up today. Lovin it. -37 Nitto ridge Grapplers. -Mopar 3 in. lift -Mopar SlickLock Wheel in 17x8 with 4.4in Backspace (- 3mm offset) and sway, track bar, and steering stabilizer replacements.

4934A1D6-8E03-4738-BA33-DCCD99F0C006.jpeg

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
so can you remove them? Sure! Only problem is... if you're fitting larger tires to actually offroad then you're just opening your engine up to even more water and mud.

Not true

OP
OP
TheDerb

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon

shows what I'm talking about. Obviously you have to line the fenders. But overall, this appears to me to be a situation where I can gain about 2.5" of flex without having to do a level kit or lift. If you look at most of the rigs that are serious about being on trails, 9/10 of them have either full fender removal, their fenders chopped, or no fenders at all.
Sponsored