CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I was able to somewhat recreate the issue on Saturday. It most definitely IS the TC kicking in and controlling wheel spin by reducing engine power. My assumption is that the system does this to allow the BLD a chance to take over since it is only active in 4wd.

Feathering the fuel will put the JT anywhere you want to go as the BLD is very impressive at doing what it was designed to do. However, it still bugs me that I can't just stay in the throttle and spin my way up onto these smaller ledges. It's not so much that I would spin my way to the top all the time because I actually like the way the BLD handles the truck but more so that if I need to keep the RPMs up to complete the climb the computer won't let me.

I tried to video the problem but be to honest it's hard to tell when it's happening from outside the Jeep. My buddy holding the camera did a good job it's just hard to tell. My son didn't ride with me this time so no inside footage of the issue.

You can see and hear the TC and BLD working between 1:34 and 1:43.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I was able to somewhat recreate the issue on Saturday. It most definitely IS the TC kicking in and controlling wheel spin by reducing engine power. My assumption is that the system does this to allow the BLD a chance to take over since it is only active in 4wd.

Feathering the fuel will put the JT anywhere you want to go as the BLD is very impressive at doing what it was designed to do. However, it still bugs me that I can't just stay in the throttle and spin my way up onto these smaller ledges. It's not so much that I would spin my way to the top all the time because I actually like the way the BLD handles the truck but more so that if I need to keep the RPMs up to complete the climb the computer won't let me.

I tried to video the problem but be to honest it's hard to tell when it's happening from outside the Jeep. My buddy holding the camera did a good job it's just hard to tell. My son didn't ride with me this time so no inside footage of the issue.

You can see and hear the TC and BLD working between 1:34 and 1:43.

Nice climb ! On my Gladiator Rubicon, when I shift to 4WL and select off-road plus mode, it says TC off. But, in addition, if I also hold the TC button down for an additional 8 seconds, the stability control also turns off and there is a beep and message.

Note: If I try to hold the TC Button down for 8 seconds in 4WH after the traction control is already off, it will not switch off stability control. You have to be in 4WL to get it to turn off stability control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
When I go to 4L the computer automatically turns off the ESC and the TC and gives you visual confirmation in the cluster screen. I tried holding the button in but it did nothing extra.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Well I won't be cutting any wires for now, probably should wait on the warranty to expire for that one. However, the whole system is definitely built for people that can't/have never driven off road. There should be a clear notice that TC and ESC are not truly "off". I just want my truck/Jeep to act like a truck/Jeep when I'm not on the pavement.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Well I won't be cutting any wires for now, probably should wait on the warranty to expire for that one. However, the whole system is definitely built for people that can't/have never driven off road. There should be a clear notice that TC and ESC are not truly "off". I just want my truck/Jeep to act like a truck/Jeep when I'm not on the pavement.
I was off road again today and experienced this a little. One thing I noticed was that it only did this when I had the automatic transmission in “drive”. When I shifted manually, I did not sense it. Maybe it’s the automatic transmission up-shifting prematurely?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was off road again today and experienced this a little. One thing I noticed was that it only did this when I had the automatic transmission in “drive”. When I shifted manually, I did not sense it. Maybe it’s the automatic transmission up-shifting prematurely?
Mine sure won't upshift too soon - in fact it holds back way longer than I'd expect. I often find it in 7th or lower. And it won't fully downshift until I completely stop - corners where it should drop at least to 2nd it remains in 3 or 4.
In mine it holds gears longer than I'd like but it's likely for "economy".
My wife's JGC can be switched in or out of an economy mode. I bet these are set in economy and left that way - at least in Overland.
I also noticed when going down long steep grades that in D I get engine braking if I apply brakes to slow the descent - in manual mode it's like a free-wheeling automatic of old.
Odd that M doesn't give me true engine braking but D does if I apply brakes now and then to "suggest" to it I need to slow down.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Try going to Manual when driving and downshift for the turns, then after a few times, the JT transmission learns your driving style and will start downshifting to lower gears when you are in Auto mode. Takes a few trips, but mine is now downshifting more when I slow down and go into turns.
Cheers

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine sure won't upshift too soon - in fact it holds back way longer than I'd expect. I often find it in 7th or lower. And it won't fully downshift until I completely stop - corners where it should drop at least to 2nd it remains in 3 or 4.
My wife's JGC can be switched in or out of an economy mode. I bet these are set in economy and left that way - at least in Overland.
I also noticed when going down long steep grades that in D I get engine braking if I apply brakes to slow the descent - in manual mode it's like a free-wheeling automatic of old.
Odd that M doesn't give me true engine braking but D does if I apply brakes now and then to "suggest" to it I need to slow down.
I think Renegade and Carolina are talking about off-roading in 4WL when climbing up rocks at slow speed, but spinning one rear open-diff tire when they get stalled. So, they are spinning one rear wheel faster than the other in 4WL. Not flying down the highway and not getting into 8th gear.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That sounds like street driving. This thread was regarding performance in 4wd Low Range.

Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine: if I put it in X gear in manual mode, like any other auto-tranny vehicle I've owned in the last 37 years, it will not go above that gear while going down the grade at hwy speed or in the steep windy mountains at lower speed. It will engine brake in manual mode. If yours seriously won't do that, I think you have a defect somewhere.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine: if I put it in X gear in manual mode, like any other auto-tranny vehicle I've owned in the last 37 years, it will not go above that gear while going down the grade at hwy speed or in the steep windy mountains at lower speed. It will engine brake If yours seriously won't do that, I think you have a defect somewhere.
There's a long stretch of downhill here where the speed limit is rather, well, limited. You will go over it a fair amount if you just let 'er go, so I tried M and downshifting - I had to go clear down to 3 before I noticed it slowing any. It doesn't upshift, it simply acts like it's not braking. It will slow me down in auto mode - D. I've noticed it's learned to use engine braking in D. I'm used to downshifting my automatics to get engine braking along with brakes. This has little advantage or impact.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's a long stretch of downhill here where the speed limit is rather, well, limited. You will go over it a fair amount if you just let 'er go, so I tried M and downshifting - I had to go clear down to 3 before I noticed it slowing any. It doesn't upshift, it simply acts like it's not braking. It will slow me down in auto mode - D. I've noticed it's learned to use engine braking in D. I'm used to downshifting my automatics to get engine braking along with brakes. This has little advantage or impact.
3rd gear may be too high. On some steep stuff, and lower speed limits, I've had to go to 2nd gear. If necessary, I brake enough to put it in an acceptable speed range first. But 2nd gear will work.

You don't want to ride your brakes down miles of a 7% grade. But you safely can brake to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear and then engine brake in 2nd gear from there. I don't see engine braking as decelerating, but starting at an acceptable speed for a certain gear, and then locking that in as long as you need to do so with the manual mode.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In other words, if you’re engine braking and going 60 mph in 3rd gear, and that’s too fast, brake and downshift to 2nd. Almost exactly 2/3 of the gearing. So, at the same braking revs, you will be going 40 mph.

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Initially I thought that too but I am now convinced it's just a combination of the ESC, TC and BLD doing what it's supposed to do. I don't like it but I don't know of anyway to defeat it without cutting into the harness. I don't want to be bouncing it off of the rev limiter but it would be nice to be able to if I wanted. Spinning the wheels is part of the fun at times whether necessary or not.
Sponsored