Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can a sport do donuts? Or do I have to get the tazer?
I know a Cherokee Sport will, an Eagle Sport will....anything of that era with an LSD does 'em pretty well.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
but if I can't turn off the BLD in 2HI, than the Gladiator will not be able to spin freely in a circle as the brakes will kick in and stop the spinning.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
but if I can't turn off the BLD in 2HI, than the Gladiator will not be able to spin freely in a circle as the brakes will kick in and stop the spinning.
Damn brakes anyway... rats, well, that's no fun.

I have this crazy mental image of you in a JT doing donuts on the mud or ice..... LOL. Looks like fun.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Have you tried disabling the traction control via the button?
Yes. Also tried holding the traction control button for 6-8 secs. Only works in 4x4, not 2wd.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Yes. Also tried holding the traction control button for 6-8 secs. Only works in 4x4, not 2wd.
I second this based on this video. Skip to about 1:40 to see the good stuff...in 4H you can turn ESC off apparently. I’ve watched a few of this guy’s videos and he seems pretty knowledgeable about Jeeps and trucks in general.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I second this based on this video. Skip to about 1:40 to see the good stuff...in 4H you can turn ESC off apparently. I’ve watched a few of this guy’s videos and he seems pretty knowledgeable about Jeeps and trucks in general.

It was hard finding info on how to totally turn off all traction control (TC), brake lock differential (BLD), and Electronic stability control (ESC). That video does a great job at explaining the stock setup.

If you have a Tazer it allows you to do the following:
2WD - Naturally all nannies are activated to keep you going straight.
2WD - Push button -still applies brakes and reduces engine power.
2WD - Hold button 5 seconds turns off EVERYTHING safety related and you have full power. ---- You can to donuts to your hearts desire------You must shut the truck down and restart it in order for the safety features to work again at which point the dash lights will turn off.

4WD - Naturally all nannies are activated to keep you going straight.
4WD - Push button - still applies brakes and reduces engine power.
4WD - Hold button 5 seconds turns off EVERYTHING safety related and you have full power. You must shut the truck down and restart it in order for the safety features to work again at which point the dash lights will turn off.

4LO - Naturally turns off some stuff but I think it keeps BLD
4LO - push button and hold button seem to behave the same with all nannies off.

You could also pull an ABS fuse(lighting your dash like a Christmas tree) or similar to turn off all the safety controls.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
brake lock distribution (BLD)
Brake Lock Differential - it emulates LSD (Limited Slip Differential) using brakes.
One wheel spins the brake is applied to that side forcing more torque to the other side.

That feature in my Chevy Silverado was fantastic - it would walk me right through several inches of snow with ice underneath the snow. I could hear it work and it felt just like the truck was walking up my not flat driveway. Loved it. Wish it worked as well in this truck - if it did I could get out of my driveway without using 4H.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
There are some confusing posts about ESC button behavior.

Some say in 2wd you can hold the TC button down for 5 seconds and switch off ESC but does not work for everyone.

So is that just a TAZER thing or a feature of later Firmware ?

My Mojave manufactured late 2020 CANNOT disable ESC on 2wd mode. You can disable TC but ESC cannot be switched off unless in 4wd.

Note with TC off in 2wd its spins around dirt corners nicely but I have not tried donuts yet.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
There are some confusing posts about ESC button behavior.

Some say in 2wd you can hold the TC button down for 5 seconds and switch off ESC but does not work for everyone.

So is that just a TAZER thing or a feature of later Firmware ?
It was hard finding info on how to totally turn off all traction control (TC), brake lock differential (BLD), and Electronic stability control (ESC). That video does a great job at explaining the stock setup.

If you have a Tazer it allows you to do the following:
2WD - Hold button 5 seconds turns off EVERYTHING safety related and you have full power. ---- You can to donuts to your hearts desire------You must shut the truck down and restart it in order for the safety features to work again at which point the dash lights will turn off.

4WD - Hold button 5 seconds turns off EVERYTHING safety related and you have full power. You must shut the truck down and restart it in order for the safety features to work again at which point the dash lights will turn off.

You could also pull an ABS fuse(lighting your dash like a Christmas tree) or similar to turn off all the safety controls.

Is that confusing?

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Not if it was written like this:

A Tazer is required to do the following:

These features are available stock:

These features are available with or without a Tazer:

The problem was not that post however but conflicting information stating ESC can be disabled in 2wd without mentioning a Tazer.
Hence the question about firmware.

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So while I was trying to climb a ledge at Windrock Park on Friday the JT acted like the traction control was still on. I was in 4L and had the front wheels up on top of the ledge. I tried to just power my way up with the rear but as the RPMs came up the power just died off. Each time I tried it the same thing would happen. I would get almost to the top of the ledge with the rears and then the RPMs and power would just drop off. The TC was off (at least the light said it was) so I don't understand why I couldn't get the RPMs up and hold them there. I had the transmission in drive. Could it have been the transmission trying to change to 2nd? I didn't notice because I was trying not to tear up anything important. Any ideas?

I've never wheeled an automatic so I have no experience with how they act trying to climb rocks.
My truck does the same thing.
Sponsored