Sponsored

Question: Would a max tow package ride quality suffer??

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
First test drive I took was a Sport S with max tow. I ended up with an Overland, but frankly the Sport S with max tow is what sold me on how well these things rode and drove. Very nice, IMO.

I also put max tow REAR springs under the REAR of my Overland - to keep it from sagging so darned badly with a load or with my trailer hooked up. It's a bit more firm but IMO that was the SHOCKS I put on it. The best part - my wife hasn't commented on it being any different.
Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Its common knowledge that the Max Tow Rear springs are progressive. Here are some pictures for you. Count the number of coils & look at the spacing.

OEM non Max Tow Take off's (image stolen from an ebay auction)
s-l1600 (1).jpg

And this is one of my OEM Max tow springs sitting in my garrage.
IMG_0938.jpg
The difference in springs does not come with the Max Tow, they are listed on my sticker as part of the S package. According to my sticker my max tow has Normal Duty Plus Suspension which is listed as being part of the S package. I would assume that the base sport has just has normal duty suspension not the plus but it does not mention the suspension for the base model.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
My Max Tow sport rode fantastic stock. Comfortable and responsive. I did not buy it to tow with though. WIth the Mopar 2 inch lift it still rides great (but those factory springs are gone).

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
The difference in springs does not come with the Max Tow, they are listed on my sticker as part of the S package. According to my sticker my max tow has Normal Duty Plus Suspension which is listed as being part of the S package. I would assume that the base sport has just has normal duty suspension not the plus but it does not mention the suspension for the base model.
Based on the window sticker the Max Tow must also have the same fenders since the fenders are not mentioned right? That extra lip must be everyone just imaging it...

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the window sticker the Max Tow must also have the same fenders since the fenders are not mentioned right? That extra lip must be everyone just imaging it...
The lip is real, the hell with the sticker. At least on my 20.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Just like the progressive springs to handle that extra load.
progressive springs don’t handle the extra load. The standard spring spacing Handles the same load. The tighter spacing that’s in the progressive springs gives it a bit of a soft ride. that’s why the max tow or the sport s, which ever one has progressive springs, is a nicer ride.

the more horizontal the coil, the softer it is, the more vertical and spaced out the coil, the harder it is. This doesn’t account for coil thickness though. That will also effect how easy the spring compresses.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
progressive springs don’t handle the extra load. The standard spring spacing Handles the same load. The tighter spacing that’s in the progressive springs gives it a bit of a soft ride. that’s why the max tow or the sport s, which ever one has progressive springs, is a nicer ride.

the more horizontal the coil, the softer it is, the more vertical and spaced out the coil, the harder it is. This doesn’t account for coil thickness though. That will also effect how easy the spring compresses.

“Progressive rate springs” are generally classified into two sub-types: 1) constantly increasing rate springs and 2) a “dual-rate” spring with two linear rates connected with a rate-transition range.

The first type (constantly increasing rate) of springs are most often used as “load-compensating springs” on the rear of a vehicle when the vehicle will often see significant load changes in the cargo area. These are most often stock replacement type suspension springs. They are identified most easily by continually varied spacing between the coils.

From here: https://www.hypercoils.com/tech-tips/linear-vs-progressive-rate-suspension-springs/

So I don’t know if you were trying to explain the science behind it, but progressive rate springs are indeed used for the heavier load.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
“The difference in springs does not come with the Max Tow, they are listed on my sticker as part of the S package. According to my sticker my max tow has Normal Duty Plus Suspension which is listed as being part of the S package...”

The Sport S pckage springs bdnshocks are different parts, each with there own part number, same with the shocks. I had my dealer parts person look this up, when I ordered the MaxTow springs for my Soet S. The MaxTow springs were physically longer than the Sport S springs on my Sport S sticker listed heavy duty suspension springs. The ride is also a little different, when driving the Spirt S without a load. Also, the MaxTow springs kept the back of my Soirt S from dropping more than an 1-inch with a heavy fire wood load. The same load with the stock Sport S springs, the rear dropped about 2-inches.

He Soirt S has heavy duty springs, the MaxTow sori gs are progressive, giving a softer ride unloaded and then they get stiffer as weight is added, providing more support to the truck suspension.
Cheers

Sponsored

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
No (the max tow does not ride poorly or really any different than the other models).

I'm not a professional driver but when I test drove (every model one right after another) I would have ranked ride quality:

1) Mojave
2) Sport with max tow
3) Overland
4) Sport
5) Rubicon

That said they all rode great and were marginally different IMO.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
“Progressive rate springs” are generally classified into two sub-types: 1) constantly increasing rate springs and 2) a “dual-rate” spring with two linear rates connected with a rate-transition range.

The first type (constantly increasing rate) of springs are most often used as “load-compensating springs” on the rear of a vehicle when the vehicle will often see significant load changes in the cargo area. These are most often stock replacement type suspension springs. They are identified most easily by continually varied spacing between the coils.

From here: https://www.hypercoils.com/tech-tips/linear-vs-progressive-rate-suspension-springs/

So I don’t know if you were trying to explain the science behind it, but progressive rate springs are indeed used for the heavier load.
So what I said is still correct. The spring gets stiffer as it’s coil gets more vertical. A progressive spring is used to handle heavier loads because if they used a linear spring it would be very stiff, when there is no load. It’s progressive so it has some give when there is no load in the back.

If you look at the two coils photographed in this thread, the stock one only has one less coil. The extra coil in the progressive spring will give that section of progression a lower spring rate, making it softer.

I can’t tell from the photos, but if the progressive coil is thicker, then it will be a stiffer spring. But being a progressive spring doesn’t mean it’s stiffer or can handle more load, it just means it isn’t linear.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No (the max tow does not ride poorly or really any different than the other models).

I'm not a professional driver but when I test drove (every model one right after another) I would have ranked ride quality:

1) Mojave
2) Sport with max tow
3) Overland
4) Sport
5) Rubicon

That said they all rode great and were marginally different IMO.
I’ve only drove my Rubicon. Now your making me want to try the other trims. Was the rubicon the stiffest ride?

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Yes, the MT progressive coil is a little thicker.
cheers.

J-GriffsGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Geologist
I’ve only drove my Rubicon. Now your making me want to try the other trims. Was the rubicon the stiffest ride?
It felt stiffer and more top heavy to me. That said I got a max tow sport and immediately put rubi springs in the front with rubi shocks all around and a 3/4 leveling kit on ... so now my max tow rides almost exactly like what I ranked last lol. Again difference was extremely marginal and it looks so much better
Sponsored