Sponsored

Max Tow Package. Not the value you would think?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
rades as Jeep enhancements, I rarely pull a 5X8 tractor supply garden trailer with brush and weeds. Towing was not my reason to purchase. Dual wide track Gen3 Danas, 4.10s and higher capacity alternator and cooling., class IV hitch. That 999.00 package w
I had a Max Tow ordered, settled on a Rubicon because my TJ blew up and couldn't wait months for the Max Tow to arrive, nor the 3 months the shop would take to fix the TJ despite their causing the issue. Irregardless it would be interesting to see if anybody had any legit documentation and/or pictures on if there is a true and functional difference of the frame between the Max Tow and Rubi. As far as I can tell the only difference is springs. To me that was the point of ordering the Max Tow. To get the Rubi axles without the cost of the Rubi, and to have higher towing numbers. Now that I look back and think, the Max Tow I had ordered was optioned out to to be on par with the Rubi. Only difference is the lockers and sway disconnect.

To my surprise the Rubi is only rated at just over 1,000 #'s of payload. I thought it would have been at least 1,200 pounds. So that sucks... But I am willing to bet that the Max Tow optioned out would be at or near the same exact payload considering all the options add up weight.

Then only difference I can seem to recall from other threads here is that the Max Tow still has a higher spring rate as compared to the Rubi. Trans, transfer, cooling, engine, axles, interior - is all the same if optioned out similarly.

But can anyone provide actual data as to if the frame itself is any different between the Rubi and Max Tow? If it is, then, well, that could be some real cause for concern for some folks.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
But can anyone provide actual data as to if the frame itself is any different between the Rubi and Max Tow?
Only different frames are on the diesel and Mojave.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Only different frames are on the diesel and Mojave.
Interesting did not know the diesel had a different frame

I was also under the impression all new JTs were getting the upgraded Mojave frame.

See above post on curb weights, there is a 400lb difference between Spoet and Rubi. I cant imagine the different suspension, different transfer case, lockers, and electronic sway bar disconnect weigh that much but maybe?

For reference my Sport S Max Tow (Sept 2019 build date so open diffs) has a payload of 1544 lbs. The only options missing are 8.4 screen, trail rails, bed liner, and auxillary wiring group. Still over 400lbs more payload than a Rubicon on the lot that didnt have a bed liner or rock rails. Seems like today all Rubis come with the sliders but maybe not earlier production (like LSD wasnt an option for Sports) And when the Mojave was first announced it had a GVWR of 6050lbs not 6250, but that didnt last long. Really stuck with me, thought those frame reinforcements must have added some serious metal

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Recall reading the frame changes was just some additional welding in several areas, nothing major.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
To my surprise the Rubi is only rated at just over 1,000 #'s of payload. I thought it would have been at least 1,200 pounds. So that sucks... But
Mine's 1216. Options are Hard Top, Spray In Liner, Cold Weather Package, Towing package, Metal Front Bumper (all Rubicons have metal rear bumpers), LEDs. Nothing else. (pretty basic for a Rubicon).

See above post on curb weights, there is a 400lb difference between Spoet and Rubi. I cant imagine the different suspension, different transfer case, lockers, and electronic sway bar disconnect weigh that much but maybe
Everyone forgets the Rubi rear bumper is metal too. That adds something.
Seems like today all Rubis come with the sliders but maybe not earlier production (like LSD wasnt an option for Sports)
Rubis have always had rock rails. Even on JKs. That's weird if you saw one without them.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Interesting did not know the diesel had a different frame

I was also under the impression all new JTs were getting the upgraded Mojave frame.

See above post on curb weights, there is a 400lb difference between Spoet and Rubi. I cant imagine the different suspension, different transfer case, lockers, and electronic sway bar disconnect weigh that much but maybe?

For reference my Sport S Max Tow (Sept 2019 build date so open diffs) has a payload of 1544 lbs. The only options missing are 8.4 screen, trail rails, bed liner, and auxillary wiring group. Still over 400lbs more payload than a Rubicon on the lot that didnt have a bed liner or rock rails. Seems like today all Rubis come with the sliders but maybe not earlier production (like LSD wasnt an option for Sports) And when the Mojave was first announced it had a GVWR of 6050lbs not 6250, but that didnt last long. Really stuck with me, thought those frame reinforcements must have added some serious metal
Yeah I can't imagine all the extras adding 400 pounds. I still think it has everything to do with the spring rate. It's still weird. Wish I had the 1500 pound payload capacity but couldn't wait 3 more months - besides dealer got my order wrong anyway. Probably would be fine to slap in some higher rate springs and run it at 1300#'s of payload. It's all a compromise I guess - can't have it all.

Mine's 1216. Options are Hard Top, Spray In Liner, Cold Weather Package, Towing package, Metal Front Bumper (all Rubicons have metal rear bumpers), LEDs. Nothing else. (pretty basic for a Rubicon).

Everyone forgets the Rubi rear bumper is metal too. That adds something.

Rubis have always had rock rails. Even on JKs. That's weird if you saw one without them.
Yeah that's interesting. I have pretty much everything though. Hard top, spray in liner, cold weather group, towing package, not sure about metal bumper?, rock rails, LED's, 8.4 screen with Alpine sound, Leather seats and proximity. I do not have the ACC, advanced safety, trail rail (which includes bed mounted 120v outlet) and smokers group. But still, that can't add 200 pounds - no way. It also had the 'dual top group' but I dont think the factory would consider that as part of 'always carry' payload, that would be lame. But like I said above, unless we can see some sort of actual data spec or blueprint showing a difference I am willing to bet the only real difference is a higher spring rate and less comfort options on the max tow as compared to the Rubi. So get springs as needed and go for it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yeah that's interesting. I have pretty much everything though. Hard top, spray in liner, cold weather group, towing package, not sure about metal bumper?, rock rails, LED's, 8.4 screen with Alpine sound, Leather seats and proximity.
I do have the proximity sensors. Forgot about those.

It also had the 'dual top group' but I dont think the factory would consider that as part of 'always carry' payload, that would be lame
I'd be less than surprised if they did. :LOL:But you don't have to. Just get your tare weight at a scale. You know GVWR is 6250, so the difference between that and your fully fueled truck with driver is your true payload. Regardless of spring rate, GVWR is 6250, on Max Tow and Rubicon, so that can't be it.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I do have the proximity sensors. Forgot about those.

I'd be less than surprised if they did. :LOL:But you don't have to. Just get your tare weight at a scale. You know GVWR is 6250, so the difference between that and your fully fueled truck with driver is your true payload. Regardless of spring rate, GVWR is 6250, on Max Tow and Rubicon, so that can't be it.
yeah true good point. all the add-on's and everything doesn't matter so long as you are at or under GVW - as far as insurance purposes anyway.. It would just be nice if they did in fact outline much better and specifically how they get to their weight ratings.

No fair - proximity is one thing I wish I had...

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
In 19 & 20, the Max Tow came with halogen daytime running lights. That looks like every model as daytime running lights.
Sponsored