Sponsored

Max Tow Package. Not the value you would think?

Ar4130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JT
My 22 has body colored flares and I do not have the LED package. Not sure what you are talking about when you say you can’t get em without adding leds...

Also, you are not making an apples to apples comparison by saying that by the time you add the 8.4 and all the other options...the point is they are different models that add or leave out certain options that a lot of guys could care less about and do not want to pay for. Their are different trim levels for a reason.

Also don’t get the whole having to buy parts / wheels to get a similar stance.... nobody wants to add some stock size wheels /tires similar to a Rubicon or Mojave unless they are too broke to go bigger and want some cheap takeoffs, which also means the Rubi and Mojave guys spent even more money to also replace their stock wheels and tires. Not to mention Rubicon wheels are not even nice. (Mojave wheels are ok lol)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ar4130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JT
The point is the Rubi/Mojave already have the bigger tires and lift without the need for mods, so once you 'add' them to a Max Tow - are you not more or less in the same place capacity wise, for what has been shown to be around a $3,600 price difference between the trims for what is much more than that worth of 'upgrades'.
You talk like guys buy Rubicons or Mojave’s and just them stock. Most guys are replacing those bigger tires and suspensions the second they take delivery. The amount of take off Rubicon and mojave wheels and suspensions for sale out there is insane. I would rather pay once for the exact setup I want, than pay more for the upgraded parts and then pay again to replace them anyway.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
You talk like guys buy Rubicons or Mojave’s and just them stock. Most guys are replacing those bigger tires and suspensions the second they take delivery. The amount of take off Rubicon and mojave wheels and suspensions for sale out there is insane. I would rather pay once for the exact setup I want, than pay more for the upgraded parts and then pay again to replace them anyway.
"Most" Rubicon buyers aren't changing the suspensions out. Some are. Most are certainly not. But I'm sure it's the same for sport buyers. Personally, I'm rocking stock wheels and stock suspension. I also happen to like the stock wheels. Bigger tires, yes I am running them. But "most" aren't doing that either. Many are, but not most.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
"Most" Rubicon buyers aren't changing the suspensions out. Some are. Most are certainly not. But I'm sure it's the same for sport buyers. Personally, I'm rocking stock wheels and stock suspension. I also happen to like the stock wheels. Bigger tires, yes I am running them. But "most" aren't doing that either. Many are, but not most.
Stock suspension I'll believe, but jeep estimates 80% of buyers will swap tires and rims, not sure how much of that applies to Rubicon but anecdotally I rarely see Rubicon's on stock tires or rims around here, wrangler or gladiator.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock suspension I'll believe, but jeep estimates 80% of buyers will swap tires and rims, not sure how much of that applies to Rubicon but anecdotally I rarely see Rubicon's on stock tires or rims around here, wrangler or gladiator.
Makes sense on the wheels and tires I suppose. I like the stock wheels, so didn't feel the want/need to change them. But I did change the tires out eventually. I'll do a small spacer lift, but I'm keeping the overall stock suspension. Same thought process as @Ar4130 though. Not disagreeing there. If I was looking to mod the entire suspension, I would have probably bought a sport (base regular sport). No reason to pay for the suspension twice. But I like the stock suspension. Which trim has the most value really just depends on what you want to do with your truck. The final vision.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
My 22 has body colored flares and I do not have the LED package. Not sure what you are talking about when you say you can’t get em without adding leds...
My point here, is that you HAVE to get the body colored flares with the LED package for some reason. I prefer the fender flares that match the black hard top - and

You talk like guys buy Rubicons or Mojave’s and just them stock. Most guys are replacing those bigger tires and suspensions the second they take delivery.
Not trying to get into the weeds of those that will go BIGGER than 33-35" tires. Rubi/Mojave already come with the 33s and 35s seem to be able to fit without anything else, unlike the Max Tow. Don't think not getting 40s is due to someone being 'too broke to go bigger'... really have no need or even desire to live with something like that for a daily and a family.

Also, you are not making an apples to apples comparison by saying that by the time you add the 8.4 and all the other options...the point is they are different models that add or leave out certain options that a lot of guys could care less about and do not want to pay for. Their are different trim levels for a reason.
This is exactly the point of this particular comparison. Personally I am only really interested in a a bit of a loaded-up Spot S on the low end and by the time I priced it out, it is now so close to the 'higher trims', it just doesn't seem worth the cost savings, particularly with the idea of immediately going out and paying for the things like bigger tires, little lift, and sliders which already come on the Rubi/Mojave. The Sport s can be optioned up pretty well, but the way the pricing brakes down, the 'value' of doing so does not seem to be there.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
That seems like a super high estimate, but kind of goes to my point. The bare bones Wranglers and Gladiators just look 'off' without swapping out the tires. Jeep clearly only puts out the Sport/Sport S tire sizes to minimize their CAFE ratings hit and push people into the Rubicon/Mojave .

Even for those that switch out the Rubi/Mojave tires and rims (don't see the immediate point myself), they at least have some value in their takeoffs vs the Max Tow in this case.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I fit 35" Falkens, which are larger than many "35s" on my Max Tow without any modifications and went wheeling on boulders. No issues.

Your original point on this threas was how Max Tow has significantly diminished in value and I disagree. Rubicon and Mohave have significantly less payload. I could not go wheeling with 3 buddies as passengers in a Rubicon or Mojave. 4 guys at 250lbs each is 1000lbs and I wouldnt even have GVWR capacity left for a tank of gas let alone adding a winch or other recovery gear let alone camping gear. I would rather able to have the exra capacity over the extra "capability". I have thus far made it through places where rigs with lockers and 35s needed winching. Rubicons have their place and I would love the comfort the Mojave suspension would offer. However, neither warrant spending an extra $7-10k on stuff I wont need to use and sacrifice bringing friends or gear

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I fit 35" Falkens, which are larger than many "35s" on my Max Tow without any modifications and went wheeling on boulders. No issues.

Your original point on this threas was how Max Tow has significantly diminished in value and I disagree. Rubicon and Mohave have significantly less payload. I could not go wheeling with 3 buddies as passengers in a Rubicon or Mojave. 4 guys at 250lbs each is 1000lbs and I wouldnt even have GVWR capacity left for a tank of gas let alone adding a winch or other recovery gear let alone camping gear.
Maybe you're joking, but gas doesn't count against your payload. Curb Weight assumes that all fluids are full (including fuel). Also 3 250 lbs passengers wouldn't be very comfortable in a gladiator. Don't know how much a winch weighs, but payload is 1216 lbs on my Rubicon with metal bumpers/spray in liner/hardtop. I'm sure yours is more, but it's not that bad.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux

Your original point on this threas was how Max Tow has significantly diminished in value and I disagree. Rubicon and Mohave have significantly less payload. I could not go wheeling with 3 buddies as passengers in a Rubicon or Mojave. 4 guys at 250lbs each is 1000lbs and I wouldnt even have GVWR capacity left for a tank of gas let alone adding a winch or other recovery gear let alone camping gear. I would rather able to have the exra capacity over the extra "capability". I have thus far made it through places where rigs with lockers and 35s needed winching. Rubicons have their place and I would love the comfort the Mojave suspension would offer. However, neither warrant spending an extra $7-10k on stuff I wont need to use and sacrifice bringing friends or gear
I get the notion of not wanting to spend an extras $7k plus, but assuming one was interested in the bigger touch screen, decent sound system, proximity door locks, etc. (as I am) the difference is far less and much less of a value.

Also on payload, @250lbs a piece, you and your friends need to lay off the chimichangas...

Joking aside, if you have added 35" tires, sliders/side steps, metal bumper and winch, tonneau, and whatever else - your real payload 'limit' is already much less than what you started with.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the notion of not wanting to spend an extras $7k plus, but assuming one was interested in the bigger touch screen, decent sound system, proximity door locks, etc. (as I am) the difference is far less and much less of a value.

Also on payload, @250lbs a piece, you and your friends need to lay off the chimichangas...

Joking aside, if you have added 35" tires, sliders/side steps, metal bumper and winch, tonneau, and whatever else - your real payload 'limit' is already much less than what you started with.
Depends on what you want. Honestly, I'd probably be priced out of a Rubicon now that they force the 8.4" screen on you. So for me, It'd be less of a value now than before when it came with the 7 inch screen. If you want all that stuff, sure, the gap is closing.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Maybe you're joking, but gas doesn't count against your payload. Curb Weight assumes that all fluids are full (including fuel). Also 3 250 lbs passengers wouldn't be very comfortable in a gladiator. Don't know how much a winch weighs, but payload is 1216 lbs on my Rubicon with metal bumpers/spray in liner/hardtop. I'm sure yours is more, but it's not that bad.
1086 no bedliner, plastic bumpers. Mojave life.