Sponsored

Questions to ask the dealer about my "new" year-old Gladiator

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
Recently took possession of my new Gladiator Sport MaxTow a few weeks ago, and already on the list to get the steering TSB taken care of because my wife literally asked me why I'm "steering so much while going straight." While leaving the dealer that day, noticed my service history on the paperwork showed the delivery service was done in September of 2019! Checked the door jamb, and sure enough this thing was built in August of LAST year!
Any advice on things to demand the dealer look at, like battery, fluids, filters, etc? The only thing I found that looked weathered was a rusty door stay bolt.
Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
I would worry about anything, if anything get an oil change, but I don’t think you need to be demanding anything it’s not really a big deal.

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would worry about anything, if anything get an oil change, but I don’t think you need to be demanding anything it’s not really a big deal.
Yep, that's what I figured... A little annoyed they showed me the vehicle with less than empty tank, so couldn't really drive it far. Would have negotiated on the steering issue for sure. Got $400 for a slightly faded spray-on bedliner, so at least there's that. They promised to do the TSB no questions asked, just not happy about having a wobbly Jeep for 6-8 weeks waiting.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I would keep an eye on both batteries. Maybe ask if they will test them (although I'm sure they will say they are fine).

Mine was built about 10 months before I bought it. So, it sat on the lot (had 6 miles on it after my brief test drive). Within 30 miles from dealer's lot, my auto-stop popped up as a fault. Turns out that the secondary battery was shot. Not a big deal aside from the fact that I bought it out of state and was driving home at the time.

I took it to my local dealer when I got home for the fix. I was quite annoyed that the selling dealer had it on their lot that long and didn't bother to check the batteries. But, shame on me for not asking them to before I left.

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would keep an eye on both batteries. Maybe ask if they will test them (although I'm sure they will say they are fine).

Mine was built about 10 months before I bought it. So, it sat on the lot (had 6 miles on it after my brief test drive). Within 30 miles from dealer's lot, my auto-stop popped up as a fault. Turns out that the secondary battery was shot. Not a big deal aside from the fact that I bought it out of state and was driving home at the time.

I took it to my local dealer when I got home for the fix. I was quite annoyed that the selling dealer had it on their lot that long and didn't bother to check the batteries. But, shame on me for not asking them to before I left.
I'll mention that too, thanks. I'd actually consider that a plus if the ASS deactivated itself! :LOL: Startles me at every red light. Took my sales rep about 40 min to "go get it off the other lot." When I joked "dead battery?" he just chuckled nervously and walked away. Now I'm thinking they swapped batteries while I waited. They sure as hell didn't wash it!

Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Mine was barely washed too. I don't think they ever even opened the hood as that was pretty dirty under there. My guess is that they didn't care as they knew I was out of state and never coming back.

The first weekend I had it, I spent 6 hours with my brother doing a three step paint treatment. It almost looked like I had it repainted when we were done. That was how much of a difference there was.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
your warranty does not start till the ink is dry, you should be fine.

Bruce

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was barely washed too. I don't think they ever even opened the hood as that was pretty dirty under there. My guess is that they didn't care as they knew I was out of state and never coming back.

The first weekend I had it, I spent 6 hours with my brother doing a three step paint treatment. It almost looked like I had it repainted when we were done. That was how much of a difference there was.
I was a little too eager to make the deal and just wanted it NOW. Could have probably knocked another 5K off the deal, but my Commander was running on 7 cylinders and needed to get traded like yesterday! So very happy now though, even with the steering glitch.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Recently took possession of my new Gladiator Sport MaxTow a few weeks ago, and already on the list to get the steering TSB taken care of because my wife literally asked me why I'm "steering so much while going straight." While leaving the dealer that day, noticed my service history on the paperwork showed the delivery service was done in September of 2019! Checked the door jamb, and sure enough this thing was built in August of LAST year!
Any advice on things to demand the dealer look at, like battery, fluids, filters, etc? The only thing I found that looked weathered was a rusty door stay bolt.
It's too late to demand anything. You've already taken possession, so you have no leverage. You definitely need the oil changed right away. Check the air pressure in the tires. If it's too high, it makes any steering problems worse. The batteries may be an issue, but they would be covered under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's too late to demand anything. You've already taken possession, so you have no leverage. You definitely need the oil changed right away. Check the air pressure in the tires. If it's too high, it makes any steering problems worse. The batteries may be an issue, but they would be covered under warranty.
Never too late to ask! They’ve been really good. They know it was top-dollar and I could have haggled. Sure, there’s no legal reason, but it’s good business. Especially when someone walks in and says “gimme that one” and writes a check for $50K without blinking. You want those customers to come back. I even asked if they could throw in a lift for the TSB trouble, answer was not a yes, but I think they’ll cut me a deal.

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
Check the air pressure in the tires. If it's too high, it makes any steering problems worse.
^^^^ This ^^^^

The low-wage shop monkeys had all of our tires 10 psi or more overinflated. If memory serves me right, the door jam sticker says 37 psi all the way around, and they had between 47 and 50 psi in each tire.

Recommend having a tire gauge on hand for the delivery, so you can jack up the salesman, and then send it back to the shop to get it right before heading out.
Sponsored