Ram or 67 phone mount

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
I have\had the 67 design squeeze type mount in my JL. I found it very cumbersome to use. I have a large phone and it is two handed operation to get the phone in or out. Due to the size of their ball mount it is very difficult to find other compatible mounts to use with the system. I even had my son 3d print an adapter to be able to mount a more modern wireless charging holder on the 67 design arm.
Now I'm back to using a simple windshield mount design and really like it. Simple and just plain works.
Scratch
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Any one use the RAM or 67 Mount for their phone on the grab handle? I know CMM makes a ball mount that attached to the handle bolt so a phone holder can be added. Not sure how comfortable I am to having my phone mounted on the A pillar. I know both mounts are strong but the idea of my phone cartwheeling down the interstate after falling out the door doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Personally, I'm disappointed with the CMM 1" ball mounts and wish they'd threaded them something common with the actual RAM system so I could swap for a rubber ball. The metal ball doesn't grip particularly well with RAM arms so I found it doesn't do great bouncing around off road. It's fine for my inReach but not so much a phone on an arm.

The center dash RAM mount system isn't perfect but it gets the job done better than the CMM mounts IMO and it's more flexible at a lower price point.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Just curious, unless you have the 5” screen why not just use CarPlay or android auto and leave the phone in the cup holder?
Because theres only 2 cup holders and with a passenger and a beverage its a problem. I also like to be able to see incoming calls, texts and Waze directions. I have the 7" screen but not really up on all the features it has. Maybe I should but I guess I am just old school.

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I'm leaning towards the Ram because they have a track that attaches to the top of the dash with the factory screws under the storage tray. Then I can mount my phone and iPad. At $230 for this configuration, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger tho.
The 67 has that rail option as well. You can do that, a double ball mount or the driver side only. I have it mounted there and does not block anything and doesn't get in your way. I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, which is a large phone and it works great for me.

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
Because theres only 2 cup holders and with a passenger and a beverage its a problem. I also like to be able to see incoming calls, texts and Waze directions. I have the 7" screen but not really up on all the features it has. Maybe I should but I guess I am just old school.
The other part to this is that while Apple CarPlay does support GAIA, Android Auto doesn't support display of apps like GAIA, OnXoffroad, etc. that one might use when off-roading. Therefore I need to have clear visibility of my phone or tablet without a co-pilot to help navigate from time to time.

Sponsored

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
The other part to this is that while Apple CarPlay does support GAIA, Android Auto doesn't support display of apps like GAIA, OnXoffroad, etc. that one might use when off-roading. Therefore I need to have clear visibility of my phone or tablet without a co-pilot to help navigate from time to time.
As an Android guy, I did not know that GAIA worked on Apple Car play. Might have to take another look at my IPad Mini.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
As an Android guy, I did not know that GAIA worked on Apple Car play. Might have to take another look at my IPad Mini.
Still very much a beta product. It works, but it's missing a lot of functionality if you do things on the fly as you explore.

Apocalypz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK Unlimited, 2021 JTR Diesel (Ordered 7/11/20)
Occupation
Operations
I went with the grab handle mount from CMM for all the reasons you mentioned. It sits out of the way while still being in view. I can easily reach it (I am tall with a giant arm span haha) to change music or whatever. I did make sure to adjust it low enough to stay below the airbag deployment zone.

5CF20EE4-32F1-45EA-B2AE-548E3D83A64A.jpeg
84F09A90-4946-48E4-9B5B-EEDC166D1BCA.jpeg

https://www.carolinametalmasters.co...jt-grab-bar-ball-mount?variant=31277653819453
Big fan of CMM. I use theirs in my JKU. Will do the same with my JTR, when it comes in.

I also used them for a custom grab bar and upgraded track bar on the JKU.

Great quality work!

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have any visible bolts on the surface of my grab bar to do those mounts, anyone have a suggestion? I was thinking of vector mount, but those single grab bar mounts are nice and clean

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Jeep Gladiator Ram or 67 phone mount 5

My cell phone holder is a combination of two products. The first is a JL / JT grab bar 20 mm ball mount from Carolina Metal Masters Offroad. CMM Offroad also has a 1” ball if you prefer the RAM mount products. The second part is a 67 Design, JL / Gladiator Mount Driver Edition Pack. The primary reason I decided to use this combination is that I prefer not having the cell phone blocking part of the windshield or view of the road. It is within an arm’s reach away and also close to the USB charging ports. Additionally, it has the flexibility to raise or lower the cell phone to one’s preference. You can also buy longer arms from 67 Design as well. All of the products are a bit expensive but really high quality.
Thanks for this post. It inspired me to do a similar set up. I went with bulletproof as they have a lot with just the arm and phone holder, whick worked perfect with the ball from Carolina Machine.
IMG953705 (1)~2.jpg
IMG953704 (1).jpg
IMG_20200927_191211.jpg
0926201313a_HDR.jpg

badgercheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Wrangler X (Gladiator purchase planned for 2021)
I'm leaning towards the Ram because they have a track that attaches to the top of the dash with the factory screws under the storage tray. Then I can mount my phone and iPad. At $230 for this configuration, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger tho.
Consider this (much cheaper) solution that I built.

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
This is the setup I have and I have no regrets over it after having it for about 9 months so far. I like the fact you can add a variety of accessories to it and swap out mounts for others on the ball. Personally I think it comes down to personal preference over brand as I think most do the same overall task with the same overall end result. It's probably more a matter of aesthetics as to which one you finally choose. Hope this helps!
Sponsored