Sponsored

Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys)

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
The manual issue isn't pinging, and it isn't from shifting too soon. It's a resonance noise. It's prominent from about 2800-3200 rpm, and goes away above or below that. It's not consistent, in fact mine hasn't done it in a few weeks. It sounds more like something in the dash or the front of the Jeep than anything actually powertrain related.

It's definitely not from shifting too soon, because it doesn't come on in low RPMs.
🤔 mine def makes the noise on the lower rpm range and only on inclines but when mine make the rattling noise it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the jeep for some reason 🤷‍♂️. I have been under the jeep with a rubber mallet from where I hear the noise and nothing is loose so....
Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Also, mine makes no noise even at light throttle up an incline or shifting early if the oil temp doesnt reach normal operating temperature. I would say around 200 is when it starts.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The manual issue isn't pinging, and it isn't from shifting too soon. It's a resonance noise. It's prominent from about 2800-3200 rpm, and goes away above or below that. It's not consistent, in fact mine hasn't done it in a few weeks. It sounds more like something in the dash or the front of the Jeep than anything actually powertrain related.

It's definitely not from shifting too soon, because it doesn't come on in low RPMs.
So you are saying that all of the JTs with manual transmission simply have a noise unrelated to engine ping.

Then drivers/owners of the JT with a stick can relax, their truck isn't pinging.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
🤔 mine def makes the noise on the lower rpm range and only on inclines but when mine make the rattling noise it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the jeep for some reason 🤷‍♂️. I have been under the jeep with a rubber mallet from where I hear the noise and nothing is loose so....
I don't have a noise in the low RPMs, or inclines at all. But I have a feeling the noise you're hearing that you want to hit with a mallet is the same one. Something's rattling somewhere. I don't have any pinging at all, at any rpm.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a noise in the low RPMs, or inclines at all. But I have a feeling the noise you're hearing that you want to hit with a mallet is the same one. Something's rattling somewhere. I don't have any pinging at all, at any rpm.
And thus my "I believe the noises are multiple causes".

There's just not enough to point to absolute "detonation" and a lot to point in other directions.
I've watched the timing on my 2020 as I drove it and purposely loaded it up, you can monitor a lot of stuff with AlfaOBD or JSCAN. Timing had me looking wondering - how the heck do they manage that? at times but it made sense.
I mean I TRIED more than once to force it to ping or clatter or do something.
Almost any engine I've owned or worked on for others that had a real issue with true engine sounds I could force the issue and duplicate it.

By the way - I keep seeing some mention "they need to retard timing on these things" - is 3 or 4 degrees ATDC retarded enough?
I need to do some recording at some point and make notes of what timing is doing under what conditions.

Something else to toss into the mix - has anyone here personally had a piston blown from detonation? How many reports are there of piston damage? Broken rings? Melted pistons? Any spark plugs show signs of detonation with broken electrodes or other physical damage?
Detonation is extremely easy to detect physically and the damage specific.

Sponsored

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
And thus my "I believe the noises are multiple causes".

There's just not enough to point to absolute "detonation" and a lot to point in other directions.
I've watched the timing on my 2020 as I drove it and purposely loaded it up, you can monitor a lot of stuff with AlfaOBD or JSCAN. Timing had me looking wondering - how the heck do they manage that? at times but it made sense.
I mean I TRIED more than once to force it to ping or clatter or do something.
Almost any engine I've owned or worked on for others that had a real issue with true engine sounds I could force the issue and duplicate it.

By the way - I keep seeing some mention "they need to retard timing on these things" - is 3 or 4 degrees ATDC retarded enough?
I need to do some recording at some point and make notes of what timing is doing under what conditions.

Something else to toss into the mix - has anyone here personally had a piston blown from detonation? How many reports are there of piston damage? Broken rings? Melted pistons? Any spark plugs show signs of detonation with broken electrodes or other physical damage?
Detonation is extremely easy to detect physically and the damage specific.
lmao. I’ll send u pics of my engine when it finally does blow up from detonation/pinging. Although, I bet you a hemi conversion that I have the worst case of it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lmao. I’ll send u pics of my engine when it finally does blow up from detonation/pinging. Although, I bet you a hemi conversion that I have the worst case of it.
My point is that I am unable to actually find a case of a 3.6 in a Jeep that was proven damaged by detonation.
Worst is also subjective..........
some out there feel ANY rattle is bad,
others know the difference from personal experience with old-school performance vehicles.

I ran a high compression 1970 390 in my Javelin for almost 10 years with light to moderate occasional detonation after the engine got hot. I did calm the detonation a bit with a clean radiator (new core) and some other mods (different intake and carburetion, recurving the distributor, an adjustable vacuum advance and so on)
It's still alive and well somewhere in Texas.

This is from a GM engineer -
Jeep Gladiator Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys) 1660780574581

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My point is that I am unable to actually find a case of a 3.6 in a Jeep that was proven damaged by detonation.
others know the difference from personal experience with old-school performance vehicles.

I ran a high compression 1970 390 in my Javelin for almost 10 years with light to moderate occasional detonation after the engine got hot. I did calm the detonation a bit with a clean radiator (new core) and some other mods (different intake and carburetion, recurving the distributor, an adjustable vacuum advance and so on)

Jeep Gladiator Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys) 1660780574581
I totally get what your saying. Here’s my thought on it…. You will never here of a case where they admit they built a pile of garbage. They would move mountains to blame it on anything other than their complete lack of quality or whatever you wanna call it.
They are a criminal organization, and only build stuff just good enough for the majority to get out of warranty.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

1660780574581.png
There's also so many different "noises" going on in this thread. Some of us with MTs just have the dash rattle. Some folks have the real cam issue. Some just have a noisy jeep. Some have the misfires.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I totally get what your saying. Here’s my thought on it…. You will never here of a case where they admit they built a pile of garbage. They would move mountains to blame it on anything other than their complete lack of quality or whatever you wanna call it.
They are a criminal organization, and only build stuff just good enough for the majority to get out of warranty.
You need to google 3.6 pentastar longevity............

Motorreviewer -
Jeep Gladiator Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys) 1660783623983

Jeep Gladiator Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys) 1660783675171

Jeep Gladiator Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys) 1660783738959

A handful talking of a rattle, and seeing issues on a forum doesn't make anything bad.
I've said it before - it's like going to the a hospital or doctor's office - everyone is sick.
People gather on the internet to complain and to get validation for their complaints.

We've had either 5 or 6, I can't recall without digging out the years of our older GCs, and no engine troubles. That doesn't prove they are perfect, but it shows they aren't all trash.

I did a little Google digging on the failures - oddly, can't find verified complaints of ping that was actually a real genuine detonation ping, and can't see where any blew due to it.
I'll keep digging but the only articles I've found about rattles have been related to body and suspension sounding like ping. Gee, I think someone here suggested some resonation sounds LOL

Sponsored

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You need to google 3.6 pentastar longevity............

Motorreviewer -
1660783623983.png

1660783675171.png

1660783738959.png

A handful talking of a rattle, and seeing issues on a forum doesn't make anything bad.
I've said it before - it's like going to the a hospital or doctor's office - everyone is sick.
People gather on the internet to complain and to get validation for their complaints.

We've had either 5 or 6, I can't recall without digging out the years of our older GCs, and no engine troubles. That doesn't prove they are perfect, but it shows they aren't all trash.

I did a little Google digging on the failures - oddly, can't find verified complaints of ping that was actually a real genuine detonation ping, and can't see where any blew due to it.
I'll keep digging but the only articles I've found about rattles have been related to body and suspension sounding like ping. Gee, I think someone here suggested some resonation sounds LOL
Back to this kinda shit again. Ever look into who pays for articles like these? JD Power & all the rest. It’s a giant bunch of false information to get you (the consumer) to buy their junk and feel good about it. The manufacturer who pays the most gets the best ratings. IMO

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Back to this kinda shit again. Ever look into who pays for articles like these? JD Power & all the rest. It’s a giant bunch of false information to get you (the consumer) to buy their junk and feel good about it. The manufacturer who pays the most gets the best ratings. Come on man. I thought you were more intelligent than that.
I guess anybody with a problem engine can think that way, but the balance of probability that with over 10 million Pentastar engines made and sold that it is by design to only get past the warranty period is a flawed assumption.

Philm70

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, Automatic gearbox, 2DR JK
Occupation
Sales
There is no doubt a majority of these vehicles suffer from engine pinging/knock. I`ve heard too many videos identical to my own to confirm this.
The engine knock is also occurring just as any mechanic would describe it
1. Effected by temperature - Louder when hot
2. Effected by fuel quality - Although we run 91 in Australia and even 98 doesnt fix the issue (makes it a lot quieter though).
3. Only happens under load. Prevalent at lower speed but can be heard at 80kph as well
For most, I would suggest this noise is annoying but tolerable. For others and especially on hot days, the noise sounds like something is going to break. It also is frequent and loud when stop/starting in traffic, enough that it can be louder than the stereo.
I`ve played Jeep dealers videos of my car and others. The sound is always identical. Jeep do the "we looked but couldn't find it". They never want to get in the car with me for 30-minutes so i can replicate it, they are always too busy. I am truly starting to believe this issue is well known to Jeep, and they are playing deaf to the problem. It would be cheaper to replace any engine that breaks. Well, for me that`s not good enough, that and other issues are enough for me to take them to court. I`ve owned Rubicons for 11-years now, there will never be another one!
The internet and Youtube are littered with examples of this noise. The problem is, the average driver does not know what pinging is and describe it as a rattle. Or, depending where you live, it can be called Engine knock, detonation, pinging, pinking, piston slap and the list goes on. The problem then becomes even worse, as modern vehicles are less prone to pinging, so many mechanics dont know what the sound is, even if they hear it.

Tartu

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sting GrayRubicon
Occupation
Happiness Creator
Hi there @bwm2020
We are sincerely sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your Jeep. Our team would be happy to look into this further for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN or case number so that we may assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares
I have the same problem

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have the same problem
If you'd like some support from our team for this concern, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored