First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
How about using your phone? Some have done that. Most people carry their phone where-ever they go. (not me since it doesn't work everywhere out where I live so phone normally stays in the house)
This is how the Tesla works. But it's integrated, just adding it on is simply not going to happen. There's also a standard for all cars to use phones, which BMW is already using, and others are signed into.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is how the Tesla works. But it's integrated, just adding it on is simply not going to happen. There's also a standard for all cars to use phones, which BMW is already using, and others are signed into.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234
I thought it was already in use..........
oddly enough, though, my wife is more likely to lose or leave her phone some place than her keys as her Jeep fob never leaves her pocket - she's always got her phone out. She'd be in trouble.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The Tesla also has bidirectional encrypted RFID cards (credit card). But you have to hold those up to a reader, they are not proximity keys like our fobs. I can't see any possibility of a prox key that is card-thin. They need power. The Tesla card gets inductive* power from the reader outside the car, and again inside to "start" it. Prox keys have a battery.

* For the engineers, I know it's not strictly inductive and has an RF component, this is just a non-tech discussion.

Another cool Tesla thing is that another person who is set up as the owner can start the car by app, without being anywhere near it. She could call you and you hit a button and let anyone drive remotely.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
The Tesla also has bidirectional encrypted RFID cards (credit card). But you have to hold those up to a reader, they are not proximity keys like our fobs. I can't see any possibility of a prox key that is card-thin. They need power. The Tesla card gets inductive* power from the reader outside the car, and again inside to "start" it. Prox keys have a battery.

* For the engineers, I know it's not strictly inductive and has an RF component, this is just a non-tech discussion.

Another cool Tesla thing is that another person who is set up as the owner can start the car by app, without being anywhere near it. She could call you and you hit a button and let anyone drive remotely.
As I'm reading your post, an ad for Hertz offering the Tesla Model 3 to rent popped up right next to it. So I just want to add that it would be cool if I could start my Jeep with a naked Jennifer Lopez.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
it would be cool if I could start my Jeep with a naked Jennifer Lopez.
For all we know, we already can. But you and I have very little chance of finding out.

The Hertz deal is good, I recently needed a car for a trip and was going to have to drive a few hours from the airport. Tried to find any modern electric, but no way. Also, Musk has promised that the electrics will gain the ability to "know" us from our digital key, just like our private cars, and auto-configure themselves.

Owning a Tesla makes you realize the 257 friction points and administrative annoyances you've taken for granted with normal cars. I sometimes forget to turn off the Jeep if I drive it. Because you just walk away from the Tesla.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Got my model s fob and mini key holder, the shipping was pretty fast, I wasn't expecting it for another week or so..

I am impressed by the quality of the fob for sure, I doubt I would even really realize that it is 3d printed if someone just handed it to me.

Very happy with the size and I can decide if I want to bother bringing the key with me or not.

I'll probably order one of the other even smaller fobs to replace my other one.

If you are annoyed by the size of the factory fob, this is the only way to go imo.

20211101_200308.jpg

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
All these smaller fob looks great, but it's a shame that we have to resorted to 20+year old technology, with still having to carry a separate key.

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
All these smaller fob looks great, but it's a shame that we have to resorted to 20+year old technology, with still having to carry a separate key.
I mean in all fairness you don't "need" to carry the key. I ride with one in the truck but not on my fob. Doors and top on there isn't much need for the key..... the stock fob still has you carrying old tech as well. It just stabs you in the leg from time to time! 😀

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
20 years? According to wiki, the key was invented by Theodorus of Samos in the 6th century BC.

Sponsored

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
Yep. I just got mine in the mail. This is fob #3 for me. Love it!

(Buttons are more crisp than they look below. Its a crappy photo.)

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 783
Dude that looks like mine! Is that actually red though? Mine came out more orange from the initial run. Did you get anything on the other side?
20211220_181315.jpg

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Dude that looks like mine! Is that actually red though? Mine came out more orange from the initial run. Did you get anything on the other side?
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 20211220_181315
It looks like yours because I sent them a copy of your picture asking them to make one similar to yours!! I saved your pic when you posted it a while back. lol

The buttons are orange. And, nothing on the back. Unfortunately, I only took a quick, and crappy picture. But, I'm very happy with how it came out.

With all of their new options, I think I see a flag version coming in the future.... :like:

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Do these Tesla's that are so convenient have a 'disconnect from the hive' feature? You know, where you want to own and have full control over your own vehicle and mode of transportation? Should the corporate govt. oligarchs decide your movements should be restricted it would be nice to know no one could take over 'your' car at any point should you so choose...afterall it is 'your' car right? Or did you pay for your own enslavement?

Being able to see the future is a gift apparently. Carry on being sold 'in the name of convenience' your own enslavement, get that chip in your hand, it goes perfect with the future plans of the few.

The further this goes along y'all comfort addicted short sited programmed folks about to see what you've been led into...some phrase about sheep to slaughter comes to mind. Don't look at me...I didn't say that phrase, but those 'few' I'm talking about did...and they said it about us.

Anyway, I'm annoyed there's an 'air' link between fob and ignition, that should be a manual link. And you won't find me driving anything I don't fully own. Ie; anything connected to the hive that can be jacked from my control at any point via thin air. Carry on....baa baa. ;)

So Swamp, still all about that chip in your hand? I suppose cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias will keep you all about it until dang nears the end of the line eh? My posts will age well, will see how some of the posts here age. ;)
Sponsored